BMW Boxer engine saves a life

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

budH
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

BMW Boxer engine saves a life

Post by budH »

I found this story yesterday on http://www.gizmag.com Wonder if it'll convince our administrators to upgrade from the Harley Davidsons my department uses? :D

BMW Boxer engine saves a life (click here for original posting)

October 20, 2006 For most people high-speed car chases and action heroes are something that they only encounter when they go to the movies but for Jason Bishop (below, right) it’s all part of his job as a motorcycle police officer for South Wales Police in the UK. Police Constable Bishop’s company vehicle is a BMW R 1150 GS Adventure. As part of the Motorcycle Intercept team he uses it to help catch the criminals of south Wales. But Jason got a bit more than he bargained for when he was on routine patrol recently at a roadside checkpoint near Swansea. “I noticed a Volvo T5 turning off the motorway to avoid the checkpoint up ahead,” explained Jason. “It looked suspicious so I started to follow him, but when he realised I was a police officer he accelerated and tried to lose me.” What followed was a series of events that would usually be found in a Hollywood action movie. “I followed the fugitive down a narrow residential street with cars parked on both sides of the road,” PC Bishop explained. “At the end of the street another car was blocking the driver’s path, so the thief put his car into reverse and accelerated back towards me at high speed.” The car hit the Adventure on its front wheel and right-cylinder, knocking it and PC Bishop to the ground. “I really think the BMW’s cylinder configuration saved my life,” he explained. “I was being pushed along the floor trapped under my BMW. The only thing that stopped me being crushed was the fact that the car thief couldn’t drive over the exposed cylinder head of the bike.”

After pushing PC Bishop along the road for 30 metres the car thief made his next major mistake, stalling the car’s engine. This gave PC Bishop the time he needed to get away from his bike and around the side of the car to the driver’s window, which was open. As he fought with the criminal to get hold of the keys the driver managed to start the car and drive away, taking Jason with him.

“I was being dragged alongside the car and was getting bounced off parked vehicles until I managed to grab the keys and disable the car,” recalled PC Bishop.

Once he was arrested it soon became clear why the car thief was so desperate to get away. Not only was the car stolen but he was also wanted by the police for a long list of crimes. Incredibly, PC Bishop escaped with no broken bones – in fact his most serious injury was ligament damage to his ankle, from which he is currently recovering.

“I’ve always said that the R 1150 GS Adventure is the perfect bike for my job; it handles fantastically on road but has the ability to perform equally well off-road,” he enthused. “Now I’m even more impressed, in fact I’m convinced that the Boxer configuration saved my life.”
--bud--H
Black '02 BMW R1150R
Red '98 VFR800Fi / Blue '08 WR250R / RWB '84 VF1000F
sLower Delaware
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Great story....I have to agree..those built in crash guards save lives.. :D

I once rode past a very slow moving car..a lady that was looking for a car park..just as I got alongside of her..she accelerated and turned to do a quick U turn (she spotted a park on the other side of the road..but she didn't spot me)..I braked and turned with the car..there was a small screech as I had to release my brakes to turn..no time to find the horn button..she stopped in the middle of the road...I didn't go down..her car had a huge dent in the rear door from my cylinder..(he he)...I had no damage at all and was able to ride away (after telling her what I thought of her driving)..and thought about 'what if I rode a normal bike'..would my leg be squashed.

DJ
Brownw3
Basic User

Post by Brownw3 »

Lives and bikes...

I crashed at 70 MPH this spring (March) on a slick Ohio superslab. The bike just slipped out from underneath me, went on it side and slid into a ditch. The amount of additional time I had sliding on the cylinder head cover probably reduced my speed enough to survive the slamming on the freeway I got a millisecond later.

The bike slid on its luggage and cylinder head off the road. Although it did $5600 in damage, it was all cosmetic. If I had been in an isolated region, I could have ridden the bike to the hospital (which I might have preferred to the backboard they taped me to.
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

Cool.

I think my bike is saving my life also..........

.....really.
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

I agree completely! The bike is every bit as capable as I am (and more so), and can do things to avoid accidents that other bikes can't. Inherent to the design are several features to help the rider avoid accidents and survive them should they occur. Some are small design features, like pop-off windshields that won't slice and dice you if you go over the handlbars, to the biggies like BRAKES (even without ABS). The lower center of gravity (compared to most v-twins) and the fore and aft mounted crankshafts allow for "flickability" in a 500+lb machine that allows it to do quick evasive maneuvers for accident avoidance. This bike feels lighter (at speed) than my Nighthawk 450 did! It goes fast, but more importantly it stops and turns fast!
Rich
ADIOS!
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Kudos to PC Bishop for a job well done in the face of adversity......and kudos to the bike for mitigating the PC injuries. Great story........ 8) 8)
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
munchmeister
Basic User

Post by munchmeister »

GypsyRR wrote:Cool.

I think my bike is saving my life also..........

.....really.
Gypsy, if I get your drift (and I think I do), I have to agree. My motorcycle(s) have given me a "life" I only daydreamed about before.
munchmeister
'02 R1150GS
'01 F650GS
'04 R1150R - R.I.P. 4/29/07
OU812
Lifer

Hero's

Post by OU812 »

POLICE risk their lives every day. Good to see a BMW can save the day! :D
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F