K1200R/R1150R Comparisons

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

whiteknight
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

K1200R/R1150R Comparisons

Post by whiteknight »

I considered trading in my Ferro Blue Roadster initially because I didn't like the rear-end feel. After test-riding the K its capabilities compelled me to look at the 1150 as unfit for my type of duty. I didn't need a rocket ship, but I did need a stable freeway mount.

What was I asking of the R?

Too much, I'm afraid. At 6' 2", 270 lbs, I realize that any motorcycle will work harder to propel me down the freeway and to stop me safely than for someone 100 lbs lighter. On the other hand, I expected the rear suspension's preload adjustment to provide the necessary ride height and static sag so that the bike felt balanced. After about 3000 miles on the odometer, I knew that I needed a new shock--the factory unit was mushy and saggy to the point that when I traveled down the freeway at 80 mph I felt that the rear end just wanted to squat down. This lightened the load on the front wheel, making for witchy handling, especially when windy. I wasn't enjoying the ride.

After topping up the preload reservoir and purging any air bubbles from the circuit, I enlisted the help of Jim Lindemann in Campbell, CA to revalve and respring the stock shock (yes, he can perform this service.) I went through three iterations of this process, each time going with an stiffer spring. The factory unit comes with a 900 lb spring. Eventually we put on a 1500 lb, but the result was largely the same...the rear end just squatted so that I couldn't naturally lean forward into the wind no matter how much I cranked up the preload.

Was I going to invest over $1300 to install aftermarket shocks? I wanted to, but I knew that I might experience the same rear end insufficiency if Lindemann couldn't solve the problem and I still had a hot cat radiating heat through my preload reservoir, steel braided line and terminator-sprung shock. A cat eliminator or collector box would yield more power (not much) and help convey heat away from the afflicted Showa unit, but I began to doubt that $2500-worth of "trick" components would transform my Roadster into becoming the stuff of dreams.

One test ride on the K1200R made me realize that I was wasting my time with the R. I'm not chanting the mantra, "But nothing is as balanced and leans like a Roadster" anymore. Sure, someone lighter than me might not need the sportbike stiffness of the K bike to feel composed on the Roadster and lean it beautifully, but then again, with ESA and WP shocks, better units to begin with, I can adjust the preload and stiffness for any road surface instantly, and guess what? The suspension works throughout its range like it should, and with the low center of gravity, feels stable! Hoo-rah!

The ergos are better for me, too. My hips and knees needed stretching after longer rides on the R with a stock seat. Admittedly, a Sargent seat
works wonders to alleviate gluteal fatigue and I didn't get one, but the seating position on the K felt immediately comfortable, like I have more leg room. Indeed, my legs feel straighter (narrower seat?) Of course, the seat is harder on the K, but the torso is canted forward just enough to balance weight on the butt and wrists, affording an upright posture

Performance comparisons between these machines remind me that their engines live different lives. While the R pulls smoothly from 3000 rpm, it isn't the flying machine of the two. And while the K thrusts forward with a sweet growl above four grand, below that it just feels buzzy and sounds like an old Kawasaki. My Roadster vibrated and made my hands a little sore after a while. The K feels smoother overall, but my left hand's tingling and numb after only a few miles. I let go of the grip momentarily and my hand is back to normal. In fact, the new bike's performance is marred by extremely rough running above 6k rpm and snatchy throttle response down low. The test bike didn't exhibit this behavior, so I'm hoping V 7.0 isn't installed yet, but it's too late to recover the sidescoop BMW emblem that flew off while flying down the freeway at 6k rpm. Yes, it vibrates badly at that range. I hope it gets fixed along with the oil pressure indicator feature as part of the on-board computer. BMW riders may love gadgets, but space-age has its price sometimes. With half the horsepower and technology, malfunctions seem unlikely given the simpler design of the R, which feels like it would run forever. But could I live with it that long?

I loved the low-end character of the R1150R, but gimme the K any day. The bottom line: as the R felt like it was fighting to buck the wind for me at freeway speeds, so the K will effortlessly generate sonic booms through the atmosphere like an F-16.
big papa
Basic User

Post by big papa »

Good stuff! I agree w/ you totally that the r1150r felt like it was straining to push me @ highway speeds. I too am a big boy.
Bill
'07 R1200RT
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

Good analysis of your riding and ergos. Best of luck with your new beast.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

I'll take one of each, please. Make my K all black and I'll keep the R grey!
Kristi
05 Granite Grey
elementfmfl
Basic User

Post by elementfmfl »

IM 602 265 pnds... own my K and couldnt be happier. bike doesnt feel like its working at all. yes there is alittle vibration but you can deal with it no more than a Duc or other aggressive sports bike. Get the bigger sport wind screen and a aftermarket exhaust mines a laser. It will spank the R and put to bed crying :evil: . nothing else to say But enjoy!!!!!
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

I don't mean to be a wet blanket here but here are some quotes from a recent UK mag test about the BMW K1200R.
"The brakes are crap and it doesn't handle"

"Having the weight and wheelbase of a tour bus means the K1200R doesn't like pulling wheelies or carving corners"

"The K1200R was supposed to mark a new era for the German manufacturer,one of high-end sports bikes..

....unfortunately we revealed that they live in cuckoo land"

"It's too heavy,wouldn't handle,and you could find better brakes on a shopping cart"

"The ground clearance was so poor that most of the foot pegs and half the levers got worn away"

"For BMW fans only.The engine is civilized and powerful, but the chassis and brakes kill the fun"
I only picked a few of the many quotes that complain about the KR..I could not find one good quote about it.

This was in the latest edition of 'Fast Bikes'...August 06..(we are a bit slow to get overseas mags)...oh yeah...it's a UK mag.

It's a real BMW bashing that's for sure.......yes it's only a mag.....and I would still buy one no matter what they say.......but still...sheeesh!

One last thing....they have a great wheelie picture..right at balance point...with a caption..."The K1200R really wasn't up to this sort of thing, but we insisted". :D

DJ
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

whiteknight.....actually even thought I lost weight I'm still a little heavier than you, however the thing in your post that doesn't make sense is that you claim that there was no diference between the 900# spring and the 1500# spring.

There better must have been a diference or Mr. Lindemann got confused with the springs and re-installed the OEM spring twice.

The 1500 spring is 2.5 times stifer and in spring lingo it takes 900 punds to compress the spring one inch, that is after the inatalled height is set. So, if we take 1/2 of the bike weight, say 300 pounds plus your weight it is a bit more that 500 pounds and the spring will compress approximately .5 inch.

In the case of the heavier spring, under the same conditions, it would have been deflected 1/3 inch.

Well, all I can say is that there is something funny going on.... 8)
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
Silverr
Basic User

Post by Silverr »

I read the same article. It was funny because that is about the only bad press I have read on the K12r. Its seemed pretty slanted. They put the honda ahead of the K12 of all things, and why, because It loved to wheelie! Those reviewers were all focused on bikes that wheelie and clearly were not fans of the BMW brand. They lost credability with me right there. We all know that bmw engineers their bikes to keep the front end on the ground where it shoud be. I was very disappointed with that mag and its 15 dollar price tag :o

my two cents
Last edited by Silverr on Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

I'd be interested in seeing what bikes they do like....
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
Bry
Basic User

Post by Bry »

Hmmm.... you know I never realised it hated pulling the front wheel up... I'll stop immediately!

:twisted:

Bry
I work so much to afford the toys I don't have time to use!