Favorite boots?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Daryl_stamp
Lifer

Favorite boots?

Post by Daryl_stamp »

I want to buy a pair of motorcycle boots and am seeking input.
Anyone had X-element brand?
Aerostitch Combat touring?
Cortech touring?
Willing to pay big $ for big quality (Aerostitch) bus as I have never seen them in person not ready to go top $ without feedback.

I live in New York & ride down to 40 deg. F, no touring yet, just few hours at a time.

DLS
frbank6
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by frbank6 »

You don't mention them as a contender but may I suggest you consider the Sidi On-Road? I have two pair and have been very happy with them. I'm familiar with the others you mentioned but have no info on them as to comfort or quality. I can confirm the Sidi as being TOTALLY waterproof and very comfortable, and warm in 35F weather.
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

I've been using the Alpinestar Webgoretex boots for the past 5 years. No problems, keep feet warm and dry. Not too hot in the summer either.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
BoiseBeemer
Basic User

Post by BoiseBeemer »

I'll second the Sidi recommendation above. I have the Champion Te-por model, and it's easily the most comfortable boot I've ever worn, including walking around off the bike. 3 separate straps for adjustment, and a seriously waterproof (Te-por) membrane that has allowed me to ride through hours of soaking rain without passing any moisture. Not outrageously butch-looking either, so you won't look like the Road Warrior when you walk into a posh restaurant. I went into the dealer to buy a pair of Alpinestars that they were discounting, and opted to spend an additional $60 for the Sidi's because of the glove-like fit. Although Sidi still shows them on their web site, it appears they may have dropped the Champion from their line; you might still be able to find them at dealers, however. The On-Road is the same quality boot, only more-so, and you certainly won't hide their intent in that restaurant. The Thunder Sympatex is also a great (though pricey) all-around street boot.

Incidentally, my wife has a pair of Sidi's Violet women's boots, and those are also top quality.

Two other boots I would recommend are Tourmaster's Solution WP (for waterproof) Road Boot and Oxtar's Matrix 2. They're similar in design and function, with "waterproof" leather construction and Gore-tex liners. The Tourmaster is, as usual for the company, a terrific value.

If you're looking fror maximum tough, however, the Aerostich Combats are justly famous.
Bruce Jones
2004 Silver Roadster
2004 Copper Rockster
1953 Platinum spouse
chris
Basic User

Post by chris »

Sidi Rain...that's all.
Chris

2011 G650GS
Photos
chibbert
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 202

Post by chibbert »

Alpinestars Web-goretex - very nice boot
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

I have the Sidi On-Roads for a few years and have been happy with them. Comfortable riding and walking and water proof also. My next pair, in the future, will have more hardened ankle protection but for an all around riding and travelling boot, they are very good.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
dsimon9
Basic User

Combat Touring

Post by dsimon9 »

Hello:

I have been using the combat touring boots for about three years now. For the most part, I like them, but they do require a break in period, and Nikwax (or some other wax) to water proof. When I first got them, I walked like Frankenstein. They are very stiff at first. It will take a couple of days of just walking around to break them in. Once you get used to them, they are ok to walk around as long as you are not planning a moderate to long hike, in which case bring a separate set of shoes.

I water proof them a couple of times a year and it works well. The times I have been caught in the rain without rain gear, they have kept my feet dry and warm.

My $0.02 worth.

Dex
2004 R1150R Silver
Member #508
frbank6
Basic User

Post by frbank6 »

Also wanted to add that back when I was commuting I worked a job that required continuous walking and standing for 8-9 hours a day. I wore the Sidi's on the job full-time and they were comfortable and didn't look too out of place with khakis.
12bar1
Lifer

Post by 12bar1 »

Another big vote for SIDI I commute all the time and work in the corporate office environment. No one even notices I am wearing motorcycle boots and they are comfortable all day long.
Yer wanted by the police and my wife thinks your dead.
SLEDGE
Basic User

Post by SLEDGE »

Oxtar Matrix work for me,very comfy.
R.D

"Don't take life too seriosly,because you'll neve get out of it alive anyway."
jfbarron
Basic User

boots

Post by jfbarron »

Another vote for the Oxtar boots. Is 350 Kms in the rain with dry warm feet, through chilly southern Gaspe enough to recommend them?

Very comfortable and warm-made in Italy.
texbid
Basic User

Post by texbid »

alterberg custom made motorcycle boots

http://www.altberg.co.uk/
solitario11
Basic User

I pick up a pair of DIADORA boots....

Post by solitario11 »

at a bargan price, water proof, basicle my winter boot.... not only are the cheap and confy on the bike you can walk around and feel like your are not wearing riding boots, for me that important, I have other boots that are awesome to ride but forget the walking!
Rafael
R1150R k4
V-STAR 1100 k6
Valley Cottage NY
GeoffJ
Basic User

Post by GeoffJ »

Sidi is a good boot. I once had a pair that lasted seven years. I started wearing Red Wing motorcycle boots several years ago. They're available in waterproof models. I like these boots better than Sidi, Joe Rocket, etc. because they have thicker leather and soles which makes them last longer. They also look nice when you're off the bike.
'96 BMW R1100R
'05 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
Rog(UK) - Yorkshire Dales
Basic User

Post by Rog(UK) - Yorkshire Dales »

alterberg custom made motorcycle boots.

Next thing, you'll be telling everybody that Northumberland is a most beautiful and undiscovered part of the UK. Oh hell! I just have done :)

Yes. Alterberg boots are as good as they get. Traditionally made to a very, very high standard. They are 'proper' boots. After you have worn them out - if you ever manage it - they can totally restore them. Having said that, I don't own a pair because I was a cheapskate a few years ago and bought a pair of Swiss despatch riders' boots from the 'Army and Navy' store and simply cannot fault them. They might not be the most stylish of boots but, as they say, "they do what it says on the label".... so to speak. I almost cannot wait for them to wear out because I WANT a pair of Altbergs! If my Altberg walking boots are anything to go by, their motorcycle boots will be as good or better than my Swiss boots.

Ride safely,

Rog

PS Chris. The Moors and Dales have been magnificent the last couple of days haven't they. Unfortunately, when I came back from a ride last tuesday, I inadvertently took the key out in the 'park' position and when I wanted to go out for a ride on Friday, the battery was totally flat - er... like it showed 0.5V on my multimeter. Fortunately, the Optimate eventually managed to charge it so I had a short ride in the Dales today and am going out for a decent ride tomorrow. Yeeha!
2004 R1150R Rockster
1978 Moto Guzzi V1000 Convert
Rog(UK) - Yorkshire Dales
Basic User

Post by Rog(UK) - Yorkshire Dales »

Yes...... I will have to learn to close the quotes on my message. I hope you all untangled it!

Rog
2004 R1150R Rockster
1978 Moto Guzzi V1000 Convert
munchmeister
Basic User

Post by munchmeister »

SLEDGE wrote:Oxtar Matrix work for me,very comfy.
I agree with Sledge. Good value, very comfortable, and something you can actually WALK in, off the bike.
munchmeister
'02 R1150GS
'01 F650GS
'04 R1150R - R.I.P. 4/29/07
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

R4R&R wrote:I've been using the Alpinestar Webgoretex boots for the past 5 years. No problems, keep feet warm and dry. Not too hot in the summer either.
+1 for these.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
pinecone
Basic User

Post by pinecone »

I have the Aerostich Combats Lites with the cleated sole - got them when they first came out a couple of years ago. They are identical to the Combat Touring except for height. As you may know they are made by Sidi and the construction and materials are top-notch. My feet have never been wet in these boots. I treat them once or twice a year with dubbin.

Likes: Soles, laces and buckles are replaceable. Great traction. Soft leather liner. Nice, simple look off the bike. Toe box is not too high, making it easier to shift. Love the non-wedge sole.

Dislikes: Initial stiffness, may have to buy insoles to get a perfect fit. Somewhat hot in summer.

Good luck shopping :smt112
"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle..."