handguards ie barkbuster

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

texbid
Basic User

handguards ie barkbuster

Post by texbid »

what are the handgurad optons for our Rs. Any picutures.
jas
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by jas »

A friend just purchased a R from a local shop that make adventure accessories. Anyhow, they make a nice hand guard you may want to check out.

happy-trail.com
2004 Roc.
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Most of us just use the GS handguards. They work with either no or minor trimming of the guards.

'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
jrock
Basic User

Post by jrock »

Has anybody tried the new 1200gs handguards? Will they fit?
threebucks1996
Basic User

Post by threebucks1996 »

I was just wondering the same thing. Temps are dropping here in VA. When I asked dealer about handguards from the GS they said they were not ment to fit the R but that many people used them but with sometimes that they had to be modified. I just bought some windproof/waterproof gloves the other day and rode in 50 degree temps and was pretty happy with the wind protection.
dragonmojo
Basic User

Post by dragonmojo »

Got a pair installed a couple of weeks ago... they rock!

With heated grips, there's a pocket of warmth to keep the top side of my fingers warm as well. I also noticed how many bugs they've collected, which otherwise would have been bombarding my knuckles.
Traffic signals timed for 35mph, are also timed for 70mph.

'04 R1150Rx (GRN)
'88 Hawk GT
johno
Basic User

Post by johno »

I have GS hand guards on mine. Not all that expensive thru BMW dealers.
Trim a bit here and there, and hey presto!, instant protection.
2002 R1150R.
Jonny_L
Basic User

Post by Jonny_L »

I've got some gs handguards on mine, with extra touratech spoilers on top. I haven't ridden it in the cold yet, but they do the trick with keeping the bugs and wind off your hands.

Mine were a pain to fit though, Took a fair bit of trimming to get them on, and the mounts scratched the paint on my handlebars. Then i read a thread on here about fitting them, and realised i'd done it completely the wrong way round :lol:

Go for it though it's well worth it, and from what i've heard not everyone has problems fitting them.

Edit: Look on ebay, mine were really cheap on there!
Here's mine:
ruddy
Lifer

Post by ruddy »

Jonny_L, do you remember where you saw the thread about fitting them? It's getting cold enough here to make a pair very attractive to me.
Rick
2003 R1150R: Silver
Lifetime Member #585
Sit
Basic User

Post by Sit »

Just as an option, I too had the GS guards on my R. In heavy rain during the winter commutes to work, I still was arriving with cold and wet hands. Talked to some of the motor guys at work and then went out and bought a pair of hippo hands. These are muffs that cover the entire grip assembly on both sides. Your hands slip inside and stay completely out of the weather. When it warms up, they velcro off in about 30 seconds. With them on, you will not need to run the grip warmers on high as they will burn your hands! I have used them down into the high 20's and the grips on low are sufficient. If you are one that does not do things well by feel, signals, horn etc, then they will take some getting use to since you will not be able to see your controls. I am actually going to replace my original set this year with a larger set that is a bit roomyer and are made with gortex. The pair I have, have never leaked, but are a bit tight for the gauntlet gloves I wear. Yes they look a bit goofy, but you'll have warm hands!
hirsty
Basic User

Post by hirsty »

I bought some used GS handguards from eBay for my late R850R (see pic in sig link), mostly because they look mean (:twisted:), but also to keep my hands drier & hopefully save the levers in a minor drop.

Slight trimming required with a Dremmel to make the guide-holes for the brake hoses fit, remove bar-end weights & tighten-up inside clips onto the bars. Other than the trimming, you just need an allen key & 10-minutes to fit em and maybe to move some of the tieclips holding cables onto the bars.

I have my bars rotated forward a little, and never had wet fingers since fitting the guards, though my gauntlet wrists still catch a little spray when it's really raining.

PS:
Also, as posted above, my friend had bar-muffs fitted to his scooter - they work extremely well & you could forgive the looks if it gets cold enough where you are!
texbid
Basic User

Post by texbid »

got the GS guards and fit them on my bike without any triming. The secret is to fith the poriton on the handlebar first then lever the guard over to the bar weight end of things. mad it go very smoothly on the second one i did.

vp