Roadster?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

TrailRnr66
Basic User

Roadster?

Post by TrailRnr66 »

Hello All,

New guy here, currently researching this fine bike for possible (used) purchase. Excuse me if this question has an obvious answer, but I have not been able to determine exactly what is meant by the "Roadster" designation. I know what the Rockster is...is Roadster just another term for the "standard" R1150R? Or was it another sub-model, like the Rockster? Thanks in advance, this is a great forum with lots of good info.
Dave
1996 R850R
Samiam
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Samiam »

If no one else is going to take this up I'll try. "Roadster" is a term for lightweight, 2 passenger vehicle obviously. The Roadster terminology fits nicely with the Z3 "Roadster" which is another BMW product. Some sites suggest that the model name was thought of as R1150Roadster.

This makes sense, I suppose. The R1150R is the "bare bike" BMW motorcycle and meant to be an entry level machine or one that a person can purchase and add whatever extras are desired.

To muddy the waters a bit my Miata is also called a "Roadster" and that name has been used since before automobiles were invented. "Roadster" in car terms, classically, means "light, 2 seat open car with manually operated top and side curtains for windows." Of course no car has had side curtains since the classic sports cars of the 1960s. Pre automobile,a Roadster was a lightweight, 2 passenger, 4 wheel horse-drawn buggy with a folding top and isenglas curtains, but I digress.
EddieRR
Basic User

Post by EddieRR »

Nice explanation about Roadster.

compare to "R-E-le-ven-Fif-ty-R", I rather say "Road-ster". much easier to pronounce. :D

Yes, Roadster = standard R1150R, Rockster is sport version Roadster.
TrailRnr66
Basic User

Post by TrailRnr66 »

Thanks for the replies. Yes, I am familiar with the generic term roadster, but I was just unsure how it was applied to the R1150R. But you confirmed what I suspected, that Roadster is just another term for the standard model. Thanks again!
Dave
1996 R850R
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

See this ADV Rider discussion:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111011

As well as this Wikipedia explanation. The suffix descriptions are down toward the bottom.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_motorcycles
budH
Basic User

The Roadster

Post by budH »

What? BMW forgot to include your Roadster emblems? I got mine! :D
--bud--H
Black '02 BMW R1150R
Red '98 VFR800Fi / Blue '08 WR250R / RWB '84 VF1000F
sLower Delaware
Samiam
Basic User

Post by Samiam »

Where did you get the Roadster emblem? Looks like a Miata piece. The last one I saw in a catalog was like $30.
budH
Basic User

Post by budH »

Yes, they're a Miata part (our red '94 shares garage space with my R1150R). My BMW Roadster has worn them for a few years now. I believe these Roadster emblems are normally sported by Miatas sold in Japan.
--bud--H
Black '02 BMW R1150R
sLower Delaware
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

budH and a fine example of a clean black bike it is attached to......... 8)
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

budH - nice badge and I notice you took off the decals on the tanks! So did I, much cleaner look!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
Samiam
Basic User

Post by Samiam »

How did you get the "R1150R'' off the tank? Did you have to touch up the tank afterwards or was it a one step process?
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

Samiam wrote:How did you get the "R1150R'' off the tank? Did you have to touch up the tank afterwards or was it a one step process?
I used my fingernail to peel the corner up then pulled the stickers off, a little goof-off to clean off any residue, some fresh wax, and that's it.
Some people around here use a heat gun or hair dryer first to soften them up.
Get Lost!
budH
Basic User

Post by budH »

Thanks for the compliment but my Roadster looks a bit different these days. Since this was taken several years ago, I've since added the BMW luggage rack, case rails, system cases, K-mirrors, a tank bag, steel braided brake lines, left side cam chain tensioner upgrade, AutoComm with bike-to-bike, many thousands of miles (44k miles now) and, most importantly - a set of Ohlins shocks! She may not look as svelte as she once did but she is eminently more useful. I generally forgo the cases, opting for the tankbag instead (it's a Bags Connection Engage XL model that I ordered at the MOA Rally in Vermont).

The Roadster emblems (to remain on-topic), are doing fine. They are stuck to the side panels with the included double backed tape - I held them up to several different positions before committing to the side panels. I never found any other surfaces that seemed flat enough.

I also peeled my R1150R stickers off via the fingernail / goop-off / hairdryer / wax method almost immediately after purchasing the motorcycle in May '02. Other than waxing where the stickers were, there was no other sort of touch-up required - however, they have been off since the motorcycle was new.
--bud--H
Black '02 BMW R1150R
sLower Delaware
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

What they said about the decal removal. I did use the hair dryer to soften the glue and Goo Gone to remove any residual. With my hair (or lack of it), it was the only time I have used a hair dryer for years! :P
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295