Camp Stoves - Experience/Suggestions/Opinions

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Camp Stoves - Experience/Suggestions/Opinions

Post by DSKYZD »

I almost can't resist picking up one of these just to try it out.

COLEMAN PEAK1 MICRO BUTANE STOVE

$20 from Wal-Mart, fuel is $3 or so, it fits in one of those blue speckled 18oz cups you can find in the same section. I'm wondering if the cup could double as a pot.

Full info:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=4722923

How about food?
I've read the Mountain House brand is not bad...and, you guessed it, available at my Wal-Mart.

Can you tell that Wal-Mart is my local outfitter, you takes what youse can get, eh?

Discuss!
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
NoRRmad
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 388

Post by NoRRmad »

This is the one I use. Chief advantage is that it burns unleaded gasoline, which I'm pretty sure I won't run out of. It is about fifty bucks.
#388 '02 R1150R Black: The darkest color.
taosports
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by taosports »

I've been using a Jetboil for 4-5 years on my backpack trips. Recommend it highly. Best thing about it is the coffee press you can buy for it. Nothing better than fresh brewed pot of coffee!

http://jetboil.com/
popgazer
Basic User

Post by popgazer »

Find an army surplus store near you. They always have the best quality gear for the outdoors, and some of the lowest prices around.
When I go skiing I buy the best socks from there. A lesser quality socks at a ski store go for about 5x the price. Same goes for sleeping bags, long-sleeve t-shirts etc.
And the guys who run those stores are very interesting people, too.
Nobody is sure perfect, but she practiced tirelessly !
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Post by MikeCam »

Experience: Convenience Store and a dumpster table.

Suggestions: Restaurants and a credit card.

Opinion: No fast food joints.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
GypsyRR
Centurionette!
Donating Member #: 254

Post by GypsyRR »

I saw this once on this board. Perhaps this is the way to go when you need to cook. An open fire, rather than stove. Works better for marshmellows too. :lol:

Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

I have a little REI Pocket Rocket and have only used it a few times to boil water for coffee and heat some beans. I gave up the complicated full bore breakfast and dinner cooking by the campfire a while ago. But the little stove is quite handy for some fast coffee first thing in the morning at a campsite.

Back in June when I rescued my friend in Utah he used a small stove to boil water for those camp meals in the packets. Bill Haycock did the same thing on our trip out west a couple of years ago. I was sold on that very simple plan and now carry a camp pot with the lid and lock-over handle to go with my little Pocket Rocket stove.
jas
Double Lifer

Post by jas »

REI pocket rocket. Been packing one around in my fire pack for years now.
2004 Roc.
munchmeister
Basic User

How 'bout this?

Post by munchmeister »

They say the cheapest thing on a BMW is the rider. :shock:

Made from a tuna can. Cat food can works just as well, but I prefer eating tuna, to cat food, on my trips. Make two and have a two course dinner. :smt044

Start with a large(6 oz.) can and a small(3 oz.) can of tuna. You may substitute cans of cat food if you like. The tops of the cans should have been removed. You can use your denatured alcohol to remove label glue residue.

http://www.kruegerservices.com/fritz/osp/tuna-can.html

Want the best to go with that BMW?

http://www.brunton.com/product.php?id=60 A Wyoming Company !!
munchmeister
'02 R1150GS
'01 F650GS
'04 R1150R - R.I.P. 4/29/07
mnnden
Basic User

Post by mnnden »

This works great for a cup of coffee, takes up very little space and can be found at REI or almost any camping outlet. Den

We all gave some,
Some gave all.

Anonymous
DSKYZD
Lifer
Donating Member #: 187

Post by DSKYZD »

I did the deed last night and bought the Peak1 Micro, a cannister, and a blue cup.

It boiled 2cups (16oz) of cold tap water in ~4:20 at a 48F ambient temp. The enamel cup probably isn't most effecient pot, and I only had the stove on a medium setting. It opens over 2 full turns, I had it open about 1 turn.

For me it's maybe to rehydrate a backpacker meal in a bag, ramen noodles, oatmeal in the morning, or possibly some hot chocolate. Something to give me some freedom and save me a little cash. I do not drink coffee, if I did I would already own a Jetboil (niiiiiiice). Since my goal is still boiling water the Jetboil is likely the best product. At this point I just cannot justify the cost.

munchmeister:
That link is awesome, I love the idea behind the tuna can/pepsi can stoves. Very appealing for some reason.

Gypsy:
Yeah, that's Chew's bike. I was there and snapped a pic of my own. I even donated the starter log to get that fire going, but credit MikeCam and Chibbert for starting and tending a nice fire with those logs. The atmosphere around a true campfire is much, much better I'll give you that.

DSKYZD
JOURNEY JUNKIE #187
machew01
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 345

Post by machew01 »

I've always loved that photo of my silver Roadster with the load of firewood at Hungry Mother State Park in VA. However, I would not recommend carrying that much wood that high. The bike was extremely top-heavy. The Roadster is gone, but the memories remain!

mac
Kevin50r
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

+1 for JetBoil

Post by Kevin50r »

I recently purchased the JetBoil and can vouch for it's effectiveness. I've heard it may not be as quick in lower temps but that may not be as much of an issue for motorcyclists. I know I can whip up a cup of coffee pretty quickly with it.
Member #363

2005 DL-650
2013 XT-1200Z
Kevin