Suspension mods for a heavy guy

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

misterjason
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Suspension mods for a heavy guy

Post by misterjason »

I weigh 300 lbs without gear. I am looking to purchase either a R1150R, a Rockster, or a Honda 919 very soon, and am trying to finalize some research on them. I am familiar with what modification I need to do the bike to reduce brake dive on the 919, but what needs to be done to the bmw bikes to better equip the bike to handle my weight?

Thanks.

Jason
big papa
Basic User

Post by big papa »

One thing about the BMWs is they are heavy friendly. I am ~300 and have no suspension issues. I also rode 2 up w/o problems. I actually ride w/ my front set softest. I'm sure one of our BMW techies will explain why these bikes don't dive.

Last edited by big papa on Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
'07 R1200RT
jrc
Basic User

Post by jrc »

My experience is the same as Big Papa's. I was 305 w/o gear when I bought the bike a little more than a year ago. Have done lots of max-load 2-up touring and put 10k miles on the bike with no suspension problems.

(For what it's worth: I have also lost 55 pounds since last August, and when I broke the bike out of storage two weeks ago, I immediately felt like a better rider. My own read is that the weight loss has moved the center of gravity down toward the engine, making the bike corner better.)
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

At last! A fat guy thread! :) I qualify!!!

Between me, passenger, and gear I have pushed the R over 420 lbs. carrying weight, and I can tell you that what sets BMW apart from the rest of the motorcycle world is SUSPENSION design!

The adjustable rear suspension works flawlessly, and you can quickly tune it to your taste and riding style.

Beware the settings on a new/used purchased as my R was setup for a 180 lb. rider at purchase time, and it was a spongy ride home.

A few clicks fixed that.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
chibbert
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 202

Post by chibbert »

300 here too (unfortunately)
No problems with the bike whatsoever.

I just need to lose some weight :|
ASQTec
Double Lifer

Post by ASQTec »

300+ here as well.

14,000 miles and no issues whatsoever.
Anthony

Member since Dec '03
2003 BMW R115RT-P
2006 H-D FLHPI
king biscuit
Lifer

Big Guy

Post by king biscuit »

I'm almost 350 and rode 2 up with my wife who is around 120. We went through Deal's Gap with no problem at all....the bike in third gear most of the time, 4 some times. Was almost like riding an automatic transmission...never had to shift and didn't get left behind!

No suspension mods....just crank up the preload when the wife rides with me.

Dan
King Biscuit
Member # 456
Yellowjacket Charlie

Post by Yellowjacket Charlie »

I have no time for skinny needle nitzers. When the world burns in post appocolyptic furry and all those size 32 panty waists beg for tofu, we'll be walking the Earth like Jolly Green Giants--secure in the knowledge that our fat stores and strong man courage will lure their beautiful women away to repopulate the planet in our image.

Big Thunder says it all

I am a Sexy Beast
Image[/img]
TicTac50
Lifer
Donating Member #: 586

Full Load

Post by TicTac50 »

I am 250 and my wife ..... ahhh, was 120, 25 years ago :wink: :wink:
I had to move top GIVI case 5.5 inches back, since there was no room for both of us to sit on the bike.
Trip from Miami to NY/NJ and back was no problem.
System cases and top GIVI case plus the rack on top of GIVI case.
The bike was so loaded, I could not find a place to put my iPod.
I think the bike runs better with the full load.
Or at least, that is what I tell my wife :D :D :D
Only problem I have with the bike, is that it does not like to go on the Hwy 60mph in the 6th gear, so I don't ride with my HD friends anymore.

P.S. I have never heard of the problem with overloading BMW bike!!!
elmosisu
Basic User

Big Fella.......

Post by elmosisu »

I'm 6'2" and 270 lbs..........

I look like a monkey humping a football on most motorcycles, and that is one of the reasons that I stick with BMW ( Rockster, now), I don't look way oversized on this bike.

I have my Rear preload set at maximum, and have no problem rideing in the twistys and keeping pace with lighter, faster bikes and riders. ( shhh....I actually outride them :lol: )

I have plans to lose 30-50 lbs as my next performance modifcation though.........power to weight.....baby!
Everyone needs to believe in something.......I believe I'll have another beer.

Rick-
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

I was over 250 pounds when touring with my bike as pictured,
and that ain't goose feathers in those bags..... in addition,
I rode like an idiot, fast as hell..... showing them thar
Ricky road racers what's WHAT!

There may be no other suspension better out there for not only us
heavier folks, but for folks like me who THINK they know
how to ride (but ain't 'all that').

- however -

It would be in your best interest to (first of all buy the Beemer!),
to switch out the factory shocks for something better fitting your
weight and the additional weight you may carry.

(*two months of attending 'Fat Camp' ((Weight Watchers)),
I've dropped from my former 252 down to 220. At 5' 2",
it is said via the BMI chart, that I am to lose an ADDITIONAL 100 pounds!
Yeah, right.)[/img]
Member #31
fnfalman
Basic User

Post by fnfalman »

These Beemers are designed and made to carry heavy loads, so a 300-lbs rider should have no problem with the stock suspension. But do adjust your preload.

HOWEVER, the suspension WILL wear out quicker and when you replace your suspension, go with a better make instead of the factory crap. If you go aftermarket, you may even get the suspension maker to make the shocks to match your weight. Works Performance Shocks is great for Beemer because they make a lot of suspension units for BMW and know exactly what you need.
Cogito Ergo Vroom - I think therefore I ride.
03 Rockster, 07 Aprilia Tuono R, 07 KTM 990 Adventure
leno

Post by leno »

I have no time for skinny needle nitzers. When the world burns in post appocolyptic furry and all those size 32 panty waists beg for tofu, we'll be walking the Earth like Jolly Green Giants--secure in the knowledge that our fat stores and strong man courage will lure their beautiful women away to repopulate the planet in our image.

154 Pounds soaking wet, when the world does burn you larger guys are going to be in real demand, when the tofu runs out we will need somthing for the bar-b-que. All the women will flock to us fleat of foot when they see that we can drag another hairy mamoth in for the cooking pot. But do you cook with the leathers on or off.
Photo
Lifer
Donating Member #: 217

Post by Photo »

Another girthmeister posting...I love the BMW's for the complete LACK of front-end dive. With the stock shocks though, I found that the rear of the bike squats quite a bit under hard acceleration in tight corners. The stockers completely wore out near the 15k mileage mark, and I didn't have enough $$$ for Ohlins or even Works. I found a slightly used set of R1150RT shocks on IBMWR.org. WOW! Quite an improvement with my tater bod and all 3 loaded bags on board. I'm interested to see at the 30k point if these shocks are still holding up.
The EZ-board poster formerly known as "Photo82"
leno

Post by leno »

Off topic but Pat I like the screen on your bike. Is that an old BMW type?
Pat
Honorary Lifer

Post by Pat »

leno,

I believe the same screen can be had via JC Whitney for a mere $60.00, in fact I just ordered one for a project Bonneville I've got going. It doesn't offer much protection, as it is meant to be crouched behind at high speed. I found that it seemed to make my bike more directional and afforded it some additional high speed stability, but I put it on more for appearance than function.
Member #31