Shinko 705 mileage report

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Shinko 705 mileage report

Post by towerworker »

I just replaced both 705's on my R. 15,100 miles front and 12,400 on the rear. I put on a new pair of the same. The rear was pretty well done. The front still had a fair amount of tread left but was cupped pretty badly. I've never gotten such mileage out of tires. Bike has a bit over 101,000 miles.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
Mrclubike
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Shinko 705 mileage report

Post by Mrclubike »

That is very good mileage
Can anyone comment on other tire mileage
I am new to the R1150R and wondering what I may expect out of my Sumitomo/Dunlops
Last edited by Mrclubike on Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
82 R65
04 R1150R
Mrclubike
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Mrclubike »

The 705 is a dual sport tire
Just wondering why you use them
Are they good for gravel roads
With that kind of mileage I may try a set
I run in to gravel roads sometimes and it may be a good idea to have them
82 R65
04 R1150R
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Mrclubike wrote:The 705 is a dual sport tire
Yes they are great for gravel and that's why I bought them. Often times my back road exploring here in Va puts me on gravel and dirt roads. With conventional street tires I would get a bit nervous on such and I've even gone down when doing something simple like a u-turn. They're considered
80/20 (20% off road). Of course they're not quite as smooth as the average street tire.You will feel some very slight rumble with these but I quickly became accustomed to the feel. Did a trip to west Texas back in April, 80+mph all day out there and they did great. Prior to the 705's I'd been running Shinko Raven 009's. Had very good success with those but they were conventional street tires. I'm 64 and would like to see many more birthdays so I'm not the hottest rider out here. But still, I am a bit aggressive. I feel very confident with these both in the turns and in the rain. (I've not yet tried snow) :lol:
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

Mrclubike wrote:That is very good mileage
I am new to the R1150R and wondering what I may expect out of my Sumiotmo/Dunlops
Welcome to R ownership! I'm on my 2nd. On other street tires I would generally get 6-8K on the rears and 10-12K on the front. I've run Dunlop, Michelin and Shinko sport touring tires.
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

towerworker wrote:
Mrclubike wrote:The 705 is a dual sport tire
Yes they are great for gravel and that's why I bought them. Often times my back road exploring here in Va puts me on gravel and dirt roads. With conventional street tires I would get a bit nervous on such and I've even gone down when doing something simple like a u-turn. They're considered
80/20 (20% off road). Of course they're not quite as smooth as the average street tire.You will feel some very slight rumble with these but I quickly became accustomed to the feel. Did a trip to west Texas back in April, 80+mph all day out there and they did great. Prior to the 705's I'd been running Shinko Raven 009's. Had very good success with those but they were conventional street tires. I'm 64 and would like to see many more birthdays so I'm not the hottest rider out here. But still, I am a bit aggressive. I feel very confident with these both in the turns and in the rain. (I've not yet tried snow) :lol:
I was going to ask about rain.... ;) What's your 'normal' speeds on open road/highway riding? Here in the UK we're doing 60-80mph most of the time on that sort of road (and I like carrying corner speed... ;) ).

Mrclubike wrote:That is very good mileage
I am new to the R1150R and wondering what I may expect out of my Sumiotmo/Dunlops
I tend to get about 5-7K miles from my usual choice of Pirelli Angel ST, or similar (Metzeler Roadtec are another option). I'm tempted to try the Pirelli Road 5 next time.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

If I'm on a trip I can get at least 7K miles out of a rear 009 Raven running the speeds your talking about w/an occasional blast up to triple digits.
(Smooth throttle hand) I think the most I ever got was about 9K miles on a coast to coast trip and they really weren't toast but I don't like to run them past the ware bars.

The front 009 will go about twice that on normal trip riding. I've been thru at least 25 sets on my Rock. (including ripping one off in one track day at racing speeds.)

Around the mountains in SoCal when running w/ the hooligans they will be done on the sides in less that 2K 2.5k also the front from trail braking will be done too.

I have run the 705 on a 750cc Honda and they stick well on pavement, are good in the wet and not bad at all in graded dirt.
about 5K on the back w/100hp at the rear wheel. They (705s) are rated at 130 mph I seem to remember, so watch the top gear speeds.(H rated)

Shinko is a good tire for the money hard to beat.
Last edited by kirby on Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

riceburner..

About the same as you mentioned...60-80 mph. I think I've brushed 100 once or twice. I'm very impressed with the 009 and 705's. I can get a pair delivered for about $175.00. Hard to beat.
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

towerworker wrote:riceburner..

About the same as you mentioned...60-80 mph. I think I've brushed 100 once or twice. I'm very impressed with the 009 and 705's. I can get a pair delivered for about $175.00. Hard to beat.
Excellent!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Mr.Frequent
Basic User

Post by Mr.Frequent »

I remember reading that you liked them for going on gravel. That's impressive mileage!
I'm going to consider them whenever these Metzlers wear out. .sometimes my '02 feels a little squiggly in the gravel.
Thanks for the updated mileage notice.
swamper
Basic User

Post by swamper »

They are great for the occasional off road gravel but really don't handle like a good sport/touring tire.
02R1150R,02R1150Rabs,04R1150R :D 02R1100S,05R1100S(BCR), :shock: (2)-S1000XR :smt003
IBA#7147
towerworker
Lifer

Post by towerworker »

swamper wrote:They are great for the occasional off road gravel but really don't handle like a good sport/touring tire.
You are of course right but I knew that doing in. Not as smooth but they seem to grip wet or dry well enough for me. I ride a tad spirited but I don't try to keep up with some of my friends who are no doubt better (and faster) riders, But they also don't have titanium parts as I have. (not talking bike here)
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint