Flu shots

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

MidlifeMark
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Flu shots

Post by MidlifeMark »

Has anybody gotten a flu shot this season? I had one scheduled a few weeks ago, but my doctor didn't receive enough vaccine for all of his patients so he cancelled my appointment.

Also, does anybody know if you should bother getting a flu shot after having had the flu? I've been fighting off some flu-like symptoms for awhile, and finally had to cave in and take a sick day. Is there any point to getting one now?
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Lifetime Member #84
1987 R80RT
1999 R1100RA
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer

Post by Deans BMW »

I got one about a month ago.
Dean-O
Member #33
dano

Post by dano »

Midlife mark: chances are you did not have the real flu (influenza), but probably had a typical viral URI (upper respiratory infection). The real flu is not subtle. I'd get one, especially if you have any health problems or are over 65. I work in health-care, so i get one every year. i had the 'real flu' during a stay in st. petersburg (russia), and wow, it was nasty.
dan
life is what happens to us when we're busy making plans
lifetime member #470
MidlifeMark
Double Lifer

Post by MidlifeMark »

thanks dano
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Lifetime Member #84
1987 R80RT
1999 R1100RA
rdsmith3
Lifer
Donating Member #: 74

Post by rdsmith3 »

I rarely get a flu shot. The one time I got one in recent years, I happened to get the flu that year. So it did not do me any good.

But my wife and 3/4 of the kids get one.
Bob
2002 Atlanta Blue
Lifetime Member #74
latakia77
Basic User

Post by latakia77 »

I was vaccinated 3 months ago. I am a respiratory therapist at a hospital, so I am considered to be in a very high risk group purely because of how much exposure to the real bug (virus) I get.

dano's comments are exactly right. Alot of people don't differentiate between common URIs and the flu (and yes, influenza is an Upper Respiratory Infection, not neccessarily a lung tissue infection like pneumonia.) Common URIs are, for the most part, uncomfortable; the flu can kill you.

Two years ago I didn't get a shot. Consequently, that was the first time I have ever had the real flu. It was miserable.

Look up the symptoms on webmd. They'll tell you what you will already know IF you have it.
Glen
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

I was supposed to get a shot from my employer but that fell through. While I was waiting for the shot I did seem to get the flu. I was out sick for a week solid, really high fever (at one point 105f), chills/shivers changing to too hot, and body aches. Later a cough showed up, but for the most part I felt like dying. All of the symptoms didn't go away until another week after the fever disappeared.

I've had something like that one other time in my life (about 15 years ago) so I'm guessing I've had the flu twice. I've had the flu shot about three times in my life so I'm typically not set on getting one - it has to be really convenient for me.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
rph802
Lifer

Post by rph802 »

Like last year, the vaccine shortage is making it very difficult for everyone to get a shot. Unless you are in a high risk group (elderly, child, diabetic, immunocompromised from medication, health care worker, have a high risk person in your household, etc) its going to be real tough to get a shot and its starting to get late in the season for one. You need some time after the shot for the antibodies to develop and provide protection.

Dont try to be a hero!! If you start coming down with these severe symptoms, GO HOME!!! STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM PEOPLE!! Rest and fluids and treating the symptoms are all you can really do. A good mutlivitamin/mineral is just a good nutritional idea everyday given the typical American diet but especially important when your system is taxed by infection. Take in whatever sustenance (soups, pudding, milk, etc) possible and lots of fluids. If you are running a high fever and not taking in much fluids, try this. Pinch the skin on the back of your hand. If it stays up like a tent, CALL YOUR DOCTOR!! You are badly dehydrated and will likely need IV fluids. Not to be gross but keep an eye on what you're couging up. If it starts turning green, brown or you can see blood you likely have a bacterial infection secondary to being weakened from the flu, so again call your physician. There are some medicaittons that can help decrease the severity and perhaps the length of your symptoms but there is some short supply on these as well.

Be well out there!!

Craig
Life is too short to use cheap toilet paper :D
Member #457
95 R1100R Red
wncbmw
Lifer

flu shots

Post by wncbmw »

My wife gets them as a teacher and my kids get them. I never do. One year, they got the flu. I didn't. Go figure.

I seldom get the flu except enough to feel like crap but not enough to hamper my activities.
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
jonothan
Basic User

Post by jonothan »

Interesting to read that there's a vaccine shortage in the USA. I thought it was just us. I have had a flu vaccine myself, BTW.

J
BMW R850R in silver
heated grips
panniers
flyscreen
cylinder head protectors
Gord
Lifer

Post by Gord »

I have never gone for a flu shot.

I have this nagging fear that things like this weakens my immune system over time. The immune system does not have to adapt itself because I am doing that artificially. And somehow I believe that my immune system will adapt to whatever strains of this or that is out there faster than the drug companies can keep up. So better to let my body do its thing naturally.

Of course I am no doctor or scientist so I am sure that is entirely deluded thinking on my part.

I am pretty sure that if I was in a high risk group (elderly, very young, sick, health care, etc.) I would most likely get the shot.

I have not had a terrible bout of flu in recent memory.
Gord

I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered. - No. 6
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

I'm sorry. Anything to do with the toilet I leave at.....

Oops! I thought it said "flushouts". My mistake. :wink:
Paper
Lifer

Post by Paper »

Edited, and moved on...