She sprang a leak

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

She sprang a leak

Post by Photoguy »

Not bad, but I noticed a spot on the garage floor yesterday.

Here's the backstory: Oil change in the fall and the bike has been under wraps since. There is no indication of a leak in the storage area where it sat for months. So a few days ago I unwrapped the bike and moved it to a new spot in the garage. I've started it twice since then, started right up as I expected, and I let it idle for a few minutes...temps were in the 30's. Went out to the garage yesterday and noticed a drop of oil on the floor. Hmmm...that's odd as it's never done that before. It's coming from the underside of the small hex head bolt under the cylinder, the bolt head itself was oily.

Photo below shows the bolt (smaller one in the center of the photo). Not knowing what else to do, I did put a ratchet to it and gave just a slight turn to tighten and it turned *slightly*, essentially a click. Haven't checked to see what the torque value might be here, not sure where to find it, but I'll try to find that and check with a torque wrench.

Just wondering if there's any thoughts? Cold temps cause the metal to contract losing the gasket seal, something else? As a lifelong VW owner, I'm accustomed to spots of oil on the garage floor, but I'm just curious as this is a new development. Obviously I'll keep a further eye on it.

And as always, thanks-

BadToTheBown
Donating Member #: 1

Re: She sprang a leak

Post by BadToTheBown »

RTV'd together, no gasket....some friends and myself have found the smaller case bolts were not tight (clamp up), we snugged them up (I know we should torque them) and they were fine...for whatever reason my 2004 engines were not as tight as my earlier engines (I like the 2004 Rockster engine for my re-powers), never a problem on my 19996 (RT) or 1999 (S) Beemers....
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada (HyperProject)
2005 BMW R1150sR Project Tourer
Photoguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 678

Post by Photoguy »

Thx for that. I assumed that the bolt had just loosened a bit since it did tighten a little with the ratchet. I'll keep an eye on it. Odd (to me) that it didn't leak last year or while being stored, but stranger things have happened I guess.
dark_knight87
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by dark_knight87 »

Also check the cam tensioner (which is just above that bolt) and make sure that is tight too, just a thought.

Regards,
Russ