What Exhaust Can should i buy??? Laser? or ??

The sexy K1200R!

Moderator: Moderators

mfg
Basic User

What Exhaust Can should i buy??? Laser? or ??

Post by mfg »

I'm ready to upgrade the exhaust on my K-R....

What is everyone using these days?...Looking for a nice fairly loud sound...Something that will add to the bikes looks too.

Laser Hot cam or...???

:?: :idea:
Deans BMW
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Deans BMW »

mfg, you will find that Remus has a complete system to include slightly larger Diameter head pipes, I played with a set on the K1200R Power Cup bike at Bonneville, IMHO, two thumbs up, pm me for details and a deal.
Dean-O
Member #33
rivi7777
Basic User

Post by rivi7777 »

I went with the titanium Laser DuoTech slip-on for a couple reasons. If you have the white aluminum metallic color model with the black engine/frame/driveline, you'll notice that the only chrome or shiny part on the bike is the HUGE muffler. The titanium finish blends nicely with the rest of the bike. The other reason I went with the DuoTech was that it was the only can I could find at the time that didn't have a manufacturer's logo/emblem pop riveted to the can (Laser's own HotCam has a pop riveted emblem). I find these logos unsightly and think they detract from the appearance. Instead, the DuoTech has a sticker that can be easily removed.

The DuoTech also comes with two choices of "baffle" inserts - street and sport. I removed the street insert and use the sport. The OEM muffler wasn't exactly that quiet. The Laser setup I'm using has a better sound, IMO, without being much louder than the stocker. Where it differs and is louder is in the upper rpm range. I've done some longer rides in the 300 mile/day range and find this arrangement to my liking with no distracting or annoying traits. I'm pleased with my choice.

Whichever brand you choose, you'll enjoy a tremendous weight savings over the stock cannon and one that doesn't get or remain as h-o-t either. The heat the stock muffler with the built in CAT generates is an accident waiting to happen. You or your passenger can easily burn yourself or melt that nice expensive gear you've purchased. I almost did just that when I draped my jacket over the rear of the seat. Any perceived or real gain in performance and audible characteristics is only a plus...

I had a dyno run performed when the bike was stock. I mean to follow that up sometime with the new slip-on in place. I expect or hope for a slight gain in power - in the 2 to 5 hp range. We'll see...

I have seen the Remus exhaust system from the head pipes all the way back to the muffler. It is very impressive, adds considerable power, and is a extremely light. The drawback is price. It retails for close to $2000! ZTecknic also offers a complete header to muffler system in the same lofty price range. That certainly isn't in my budget nor high on my priority list. But hey, if you can afford it and absolutely have to have it, why not? If $400 - $600 is more in line, you'll have no problem finding a quality slip-on.
julian
Basic User

Staintune

Post by julian »

It looks to me that the slip-ons will offer an increase of 5 to 8 hp; full exh systems with headers should add 10 or more hp. I put a Staintune on my KR and I'm real happy with the sound and appearance. It cost $470 at Pipe City in Tempe, AZ. I've seen a couple of posts that Staintune adds 10 hp but that seems too high to me. I'll post my dyno results when I get them.
Julian

'06 K12R
'04 K12GT
mfg
Basic User

Post by mfg »

Thanks for the input Guys...I think i'm leaning toward the Laser Duo-Tech Titanium.

I know that they come with 2 baffles(street, sport), BUT does anybody know if it would be harmful to the Motorcycle to run NO baffle whatsoever?

I read somewhere that even with the sport baffle, it is still fairly quiet....i do quite a bit of tight city driving and would like people in cars to hear me comin'

Thanks,

-MFG :twisted:
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

mfg....I've seen a few different cans...I saw this Acrapovic..sorry..Akrapovic.. :D ..it looked good.

I like the Lazer of corse...and my favorite.

I think this was the Leo Vince...or something like that..I've heard they're good.

The reason I'd go with the Lazer is this nice shroud that makes the can bend into the pipe nice..... :smt023 ...shown here.

DJ

Brassmonkey
Basic User

Post by Brassmonkey »

I have fitted the new and available Scorpion titanium boys o boys what a sound probably on the too racer sound, and draws a lot of attention. :D :D :D :D