Rattling jingling sound lower left side when cold

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Soliton

Rattling jingling sound lower left side when cold

Post by Soliton »

R1150r 2002 - new secondhand bike.

Imagine getting a length of kids bicycle chain and pulling it across the rounded shaft of a scrwedriver. A clattering jingly sound, high pitched and almost musical in an ominous "something terrible is gonna happen" way.

When the engine is cold it is loud and noticeable, as it gets hotter it is still noticeable but not as loud.

I want to fix it before it creates another problem but i don't want to take a bath at the local BMW dealership. LHS cam chain tensioner was the first thing I thought of but it appears to be the new one not the old one (doesn't necessarily rule it out I suppose.)

Any ideas guys/gals?

Rs,

Sol
"Better to live rich than die rich."
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Re: Rattling jingling sound lower left side when cold

Post by R4R&R »

I'm thinking a loose valve or the cam chain tensioner?
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

#
Last edited by kirby on Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Post by kirby »

As r4r7r posted and also rocker arm float.
Don't know how many miles you have but possible, although I'd say cam chain tensioner is best bet. May need to up grade to the new one.
If the tensioner, don't run it long without replacing with up graded one.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

Sure sounds like a cam chain tensioner noise to me. It think the new ones have a 15mm head vs. 17mm for the original, if memory serves...
Rich
ADIOS!
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

Soliton wrote:Imagine getting a length of kids bicycle chain and pulling it across the rounded shaft of a scrwedriver. A clattering jingly sound, high pitched and almost musical in an ominous "something terrible is gonna happen" way.
This is a long shot, but your sound description fits it perfectly. I would remove that left valve cover to check things out.

Peek down the area between the camchain lengths, into the crankcase. You should see a nice smooth gradual bowed in the middle arc of the upper chain run. If you see a sharp bend or a drop-off, the plastic chain guide is broken, generating the bicycle chain pulled across the rounded shaft of a screwdriver sound. This can happen if a malfunctioning chain tensioner has been used for way too long and the wildly whipping around chain just beat the chain guide to death. Another chain guide breaker event could happen when the (VERY TIGHT!) cam sprocket bolt is removed for cylinder head removal. The curved upper chain run is under so much tension from the powerful loosening force of a big half inch drive ratchet turning the still tight sprocket bolt that the normally bowed tensioner guide is forced to straighten out, crushing it upward to flatness.

That was the long shot and I hope it has not occurred. Maybe you just have chain and guide wear that a weak or worn chain tensioner just cannot silence.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
Soliton

Post by Soliton »

Thanks guys,

Next stop... Chain tensioner check. I replaced it on the old bike. I will swap them out and see if it makes a difference.

Rs,

Sol
"Better to live rich than die rich."
sykospain
Donating Member #: 1

Post by sykospain »

The famous Chris Harris had a coupla cam chain vids on the Toob - one of which explores the smashed guide-rail scenario.
Watching that one fills me with dread cos you have to take the crankcase apart....
AL in s.e. Spain
This is the list of people I'd trust with my bike