Engine failure?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

fresco
Basic User

Engine failure?

Post by fresco »

After 14 years and 75,00 miles my black 2003 r1150r is broken and I'm afraid to even ask what it could be, engine sounds like someone is beating it with a hammer from the inside. Hopeing it was the cam chain tensioner I ordered one to do the exchange, imagine my surprise when I pulled the old one out, there was only the top part, no spring or cilinder inside . So I installed the new one and the problem still persisted. So I'm at a crossroads, should I bring it in and possibly spend two grand or more or sell it as is. Other than that the bike looks new.
Last edited by fresco on Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Extraordinary Claims Need Extraordinary Evidence.
Carl Sagan
kirby
Donating Member #: 3

Re: Engine failure?

Post by kirby »

I have seen 1150 engines for sale on e bay for under $600 with much lower mileage than yours. if you go with overhaul and do it yourself, a couple of grand. New from BMW gulp, $6,000.

Insurance companies strike a damaged bike with almost no damage (dented tank) and there are folks that buy for pennies on the dollar and brake and sell.

Sell it like it is and its salvage value (most likely).
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
fresco
Basic User

Post by fresco »

So what would be an acceptable price it's got cases I have the y pipe the original cat 9 month old tires and a brand new battery other than the motor and some dark exhaust pipes it looks showroom.
Carl Sagan
fresco
Basic User

Post by fresco »

Any takers?
Carl Sagan
trickytree
Donating Member #: 1159

Post by trickytree »

I've heard of this before, I'm guessing the tensioner blade is broken. Good chance the engine can be saved but probably only economical to do if your handy with the spanners (or wrenche's if you prefer)
kirby

Post by kirby »

So I installed the new one and the problem still persisted.

Think he tried that.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
trickytree

Post by trickytree »

I read it as he replaced the tensioner.....ie. The 17/15mm hex head bit that screws in from the top....not the blade.
Steptoe over on UKGSer posted about it a while ago, I'll try and dig it out.
OP, If you remove the tensioner can you see the blade? If it's not there then there's nothing to stop the tensioner gubbins falling out (assuming we're talking about the left side here?)
kirby

Post by kirby »

Oh, I see I think your right, my mistake.
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
fresco
Basic User

Post by fresco »

When I installed the new one, the cilinder on the tensioner didn't fall thru, so I'm assuming the chain rail guide is still there.
Carl Sagan
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Perhaps not the recommendation you had in mind, but inspirational?

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/r ... on.723667/
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
kirby

Post by kirby »

fresco wrote:Any takers?

Why not step back and take a deep breath and get someone who knows these machines to asses what you have, it may be less of a problem than you think.
Then make a plan.no?
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

valve areas look ok?

if you sell damaged. part out the optional stuff. they mean squat on a broken bike. or just part it ALL out. may be a hassle. but that would net you a lot more.

I am sad. if the engine IS gone... you are one of a very small crowd. :(
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
baltm604
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by baltm604 »

Unless you or a truly proven mechanic knows exactly what is wrong with the engine, and repair you make will be a guess a best.

I have been through engine failure and the split timing chain guides. My shop, at my encouragement, replaced a broken guide without splitting the block. shop called me amazed that the trick of burning out the guide and snapping in a new one worked. 4 days later called to pick up the bike and the engine seized.

My advice is to strip the farkle and parts you want to keep for the next bike, sell what's left for parts, buy a new to you r1150r with lower miles. The labor, parts, and time it would take to replace the block will cost as much as a low to medium mileage r1150r.

I did end up getting a great used engine (bottom end, cylinders and pistons) from beemerboneyard for around $1k (23k on the block). When I was done, the difference between that and buying a used bike in the same condition was about the same.

All in all I probably spent $3k more than necessary trying to bring the bike back to life.

Good Luck,
Bill
trickytree

Post by trickytree »

Totally with you Bill....I'd strip the engine and repair it simply because I can and would enjoy doing it, probably put RS/RT top end on and tart the bike up at the same time. But just removing the engine from one of these bikes is a huge job on its own as literally everything is bolted to it somehow. Unless the bike has huge sentimental value parting out is probably the sensible option.
fresco
Basic User

Post by fresco »

So I took the bike to the shop and indeed it was the chain rail and cam chain failure, I was presented with a list of parts totaling 500 plus and a 3500 quote for everything, was told it was the cleanest bike he's seen, so I went for it and looking at a two week completion date from today.wish me luck, cause I need this bike in my life.
Carl Sagan
kirby

Post by kirby »

That's great!

best of luck!

:-)
mike Mojave CA
'04 ROCKSTER
trickytree

Post by trickytree »

Yup, I know most will say it's only a machine and the sums don't add up but sometimes it's not just about the money.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

fresco wrote:So I took the bike to the shop and indeed it was the chain rail and cam chain failure, I was presented with a list of parts totaling 500 plus and a 3500 quote for everything, was told it was the cleanest bike he's seen, so I went for it and looking at a two week completion date from today.wish me luck, cause I need this bike in my life.
I love that. :)

good luck.and I mean it.
fresco
Basic User

Post by fresco »

Trickytree, you understand. It might not be financially sound but it's good for my soul. I'd hate to part with such a good looking bike and in a few years it may be considered a classic. And if it reaches 20 I get one of them antique plates in Florida. And if the fix is good I may ride another 14 years. It's either 3500.00 to keep riding or 16,000.00 for a brand new r1200r.
Carl Sagan
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

fresco wrote:Trickytree, you understand. It might not be financially sound but it's good for my soul. I'd hate to part with such a good looking bike and in a few years it may be considered a classic. And if it reaches 20 I get one of them antique plates in Florida. And if the fix is good I may ride another 14 years. It's either 3500.00 to keep riding or 16,000.00 for a brand new r1200r.

it is precisely that, which I'm totally against. a new bike(or car) for 4 times the cost, and waste of it being produced in the first place. Does the new one do something magically different?

I was at the BMW shop last weekend killing time between kids' indoor soccer matches..... They have their 2015 dealer demo 1200r for sale now. I was close, salesman was pretty cool about it.... but I cant get over that niggling issue, "is it actually 5 times better than my bike?" It isnt...yet. The only thing I could find that could draw me out was fuel economy. the LC 1200's are way better and more smooth. More Power too, but thats not on my priority list really. oilhead has enough.

The r nine t calls to me though. ZERO practicality reasoning though. I just want it. :lol: :lol:

Unless my wife requests I get the RT, ill be staying with mine indefinitely.

thumbs up.