How to handle onramp traffic while riding in the right lane

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

MThomas

How to handle onramp traffic while riding in the right lane

Post by MThomas »

When I'm on the highway I prefer to ride in the rightmost lane so that I have a more comfortable (to me) exit strategy.
My main concern is the frequent onramp traffic merging in from the right onto my rightmost lane.
If I drive as normal they may not see me, if I slow down and flash to let them in they also may not see me and I might get hit from behind for slowing.
What is considered best practices for this case?
2004 R1150r Non-ABS
If each of us were to get one other person on a bike, we'd double our presence
peels
Basic User

Re: How to handle onramp traffic while riding in the right l

Post by peels »

MThomas wrote:When I'm on the highway I prefer to ride in the rightmost lane so that I have a more comfortable (to me) exit strategy.
My main concern is the frequent onramp traffic merging in from the right onto my rightmost lane.
If I drive as normal they may not see me, if I slow down and flash to let them in they also may not see me and I might get hit from behind for slowing.

move over at on ramps if you see a car merging on..

I always assume Im not seen, and am generally correct in that assumption. SO i give them room.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

MThomas wrote:When I'm on the highway I prefer to ride in the rightmost lane so that I have a more comfortable (to me) exit strategy.

Move over to left lane when you're approaching an onramp. (obviously taking account of traffic in the left lane).

Traffic respects confidence - if you're visibly nervous and riding slowly you will get no respect from other traffic. But - ride in a confident (not aggressive) manner and you'll be accepted. Traffic (not car drivers, not lorry drivers, no-one specific, but Traffic in general) follows the law of the jungle - look weak and vulnerable and you'll be trampled.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
dandeldesierto
Basic User

Post by dandeldesierto »

Like most real world "situations", there is no single "right way". Rather, you have to have "it all" in your bag of tricks. Sometimes simply accelerating will do it, sometimes going one lane over to the left will work, and sometimes you might have to slow down to let someone on the road. I've seen numerous threads over the years about riding styles and what lanes to ride in, etc; but to stay alive you must adapt your riding to the situation at hand.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

dandeldesierto wrote:Like most real world "situations", there is no single "right way". Rather, you have to have "it all" in your bag of tricks. Sometimes simply accelerating will do it, sometimes going one lane over to the left will work, and sometimes you might have to slow down to let someone on the road. I've seen numerous threads over the years about riding styles and what lanes to ride in, etc; but to stay alive you must adapt your riding to the situation at hand.

absolutely right.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

I highly suggest a book by David Hough, "Proficient Motorcycling". This book is full of so much good stuff.
After 30 years of riding, I still learn things from this book.
After learning the concepts in this book, you will be the "expert" in your crowd.

https://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Motor ... torcycling
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

When I was in LA a few years ago, I was advised NOT to stay in the RHS lane as I'd find myself leaving the interstate instead of heading straight on into Nevada, as I wanted. I forgot the advice once but fortunately got back on track.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
Jed
Basic User

Post by Jed »

Great advice in the precious posts. Every situation is different. I'm a right-lane rider and driver, so I have to deal with merging traffic both when I ride and when I drive. I understand why people say to stay in the left lane, but for me the escape options always work better in the rightmost lane.

I guess I think in terms of Riceburner's comment about traffic respecting confidence. I know I'll see more complicated stuff happening in the right lane. But it just feels more appropriate to me - unless I'm actively passing traffic, then all bets are off. In the Northeast I move from safety zone to safety zone - finding the "holes" in the traffic. I'm not sure if you even have "holes" in the traffic down your way. If there is obvious safe space for me to move left to give merging traffic more space - then that's what I'll do. If there's no space to the left - then I have to choose to outrun the merging traffic or slow down to let them in. The decision to gun it or slow down depends what's going on all around me, not just right by me but two of three vehicle up, back and to each side. By the time the situation arrises - it's best to already know where the other vehicles are and what they are likely to do. There's no time to do the math - so it really about exploring the options before the problem arrises. Constant hypersensitivity and awareness to the ever changing situation. Riding a moto is a thinking man's game compared to driving.

cheers and good luck,
Jed
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

My philosophy is a simple 1. Keep psychos in cars in front of you instead of behind.
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.