Thank You All!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

ProductUser
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Thank You All!

Post by ProductUser »

I'm sad to say that my beloved 2004 R1150R of 13 years (bought new in 2003) and 92833 miles is gone. I driver crossed two lanes during an illegal u-turn and hit me. Fortunately, I was able to slow down enough minimize the impact; however, enough damage was done that the insurance company decided to total the bike. I also checked with my mechanic, too, which he confirmed the cost to repair the bike would run between $5k - $8k. I came out of the accident with some minor injuries, but I will ride again once I'm done healing. Yes, I was wearing gear from head-to-toe.

Over the 13 years, the bike performed flawlessly. Aside from a few headlights, many sets of tires and the usual maintenance (I did all of the maintenance), the bike never left me stranded.

I don't know which BMW bike will be my next, but the R1200R, even with its tiny windshield, is speaking to me :) The RS is also a good fit for this aging body :)

I wish to thank all of the wonderful people on this site for their knowledge and insight into the R1150R.

Thanks,
Tony
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Thank You All!

Post by CycleRob »

Tony, Glad you were able to slow down enough to walk away (?) from the crash. My guess is that you are only saying goodbye to the R1150R section before moving to the R1220R(S?) section. I do not post there because I have very limited experience with that model, other than the similar CAN-bus attributes and components shared with my F800ST. You will be impressed with the lighter weight, superior electricals, better/simpler ABS and all around performance of these next-gen BMWs. 13 years and not buying a new bike? Wow, you deserve a new BMW as soon as the bruises heal!
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
ProductUser
Lifer

Post by ProductUser »

Thanks, CycleRob. Yes, I did slow down enough to walk away from the accident.

Yes, I'm just saying goodbye to the R1150R section; you'll start to see me in the other sections once I decide which model to buy.

Tony
skylarmav1
Basic User

Post by skylarmav1 »

Congrats on your safe ending. Whew..

What is keeping you from finding a mint "new to you" r1150r? Just time to step into something different?
ProductUser
Lifer

Post by ProductUser »

Yeah, just something different. I was going to get a newer bike once I hit 100k miles, but that got derailed by the accident.

There's a low mileage 2004 1150R near my house for sale, which is tempting, but after 13 years it's time for something different. Maybe a R1200R or older RS? Maybe a F800GT? There are so many more options today than in 2003, so deciding will require a lot of research and demo rides :)

Tony
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Glad you're ok and will be back in the saddle soon!
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Yes, glad you're OK.

And have fun, good luck with the replacement purchase project. Many good options in the hexed/camhead/LC BMW generations... and those are just the Roadster versions!
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
ProductUser
Lifer

Post by ProductUser »

Thanks, sweatmark :)

Tony