Overfilling the Oil

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

blackbull

Overfilling the Oil

Post by blackbull »

The other day I was topping off my oil and had other things on my mind. Turns out that I put 1/2 of a quart too much. The manual says "Caution" but what can happen?
new2BMW
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by new2BMW »

Two things.
Your engine will burn off the excess in a fairly short time. This is not necessarily dangerous, but it could contribute to a carbon build up issue More than likely not if you use the full range of your RPM limit fairly often.

Depending on where the level actually is, you might have some blow by oil coming from your engine vent. Additionally, because your engine builds up pressure when running, some oil might seep out of the filler cap.

If you decide not to drain it and replace it to the proper level, you might consider using your center stand while parking over the next few hundred miles. This will reduce the chance of seepage into the left cylinder while parked on the sidestand.
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please.

Mark Twain
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

Jeff.....you are getting pretty good at the mechanical stuff........bravo :lol: :lol:
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
tor1150r
Basic User

Post by tor1150r »

I had this happen once too.
Asked the dealer about it. Same answer as new2BMW.

One way to tell just how much over it is, is to have a friend help you lean the bike a few degrees to the right. It doesn't have to be leaned right over, just a little. If you see the oil level fall below/around the max line, there are no worries. This would indicate a slight over fill - nothing too serious.
07 R12GS - Granite
04 R1150R - Black (sold)
Member #468
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

One of the nurses at work told me how she filled her car with oil once..right to the top..yes right to the top.. :D

I found it very hard to keep a staight face... :lol:

It blew serious smoke.

DJ
Boxerboy
Basic User

Post by Boxerboy »

Who was that DJ?
Cheers...and stay horizontal!
Boxer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 2

Post by Boxer »

If you loosen the drain plug just slightly...enough to get a slow drip...then 1/2 quart will drip out in short time. That's what I'd do.
jonothan
Basic User

Post by jonothan »

I overfilled mine with oil by quite a lot, maybe 300mls-400mls. It ran fine and burnt it off - but, I hasten to add, no quicker than it normally consumed oil.
One of the nurses at work told me how she filled her car with oil once..right to the top..
What is it they say, DJ, there's only three certainties in this life.

1) Death
2) Taxation
3) A Student Nurse

At least when I was a junior doctor (intern), that certainly seemed to be the case. But I ended up marrying one and here I am nineteen years later.

What's your job, then DJ?

Jonothan
BMW R850R in silver
heated grips
panniers
flyscreen
cylinder head protectors
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

Who was that DJ?
boxerboy..I know you're on annual leave as from today so I will not see you at work..it was Maree (CCU)...not a student nurse like you would imagine..an old school nurse...yes she filled it right to the top of the filler hole in the rocker cover..he he.. :D
What's your job, then DJ?
jonothan..I'm slightly embarrassed to say I work as a type of orderly in an ICU (intensive care unit) at a large hospital...I took on this job as a temporary between jobs job but love my work so much I'm still here 10 yrs later.

DJ
socalrob
Lifer

Post by socalrob »

Thats a serious job in my book DJ. Takes a special person to do it well, & if you like it, I'd bet your good at it.

My dealer filled mine up to the very top of the window when new. I keep it no higher than the middle.
07 1200GSA & 08 Ducati Hypermotard S
& Honda XR400
Past-04 R1150R
jonothan
Basic User

Post by jonothan »

DJ Downunder wrote: jonothan..I'm slightly embarrassed to say I work as a type of orderly in an ICU (intensive care unit) at a large hospital...I took on this job as a temporary between jobs job but love my work so much I'm still here 10 yrs later.

DJ
DJ, you are a very valued member of a highly skilled team. Don't be embarrassed - be proud - I would be.

Jonothan
BMW R850R in silver
heated grips
panniers
flyscreen
cylinder head protectors