GS hard cases

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Hiker
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

GS hard cases

Post by Hiker »

Do GS hard cases fit our (R1150R) bikes?

Hiker
<Sonja>
2004 R1150R Silver

Does the noise in my head bother you?
Paper
Lifer

Post by Paper »

Edited, and moved on...
Last edited by Paper on Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hiker
Basic User

Post by Hiker »

Coolio, thanks!

Hiker
<Sonja>
2004 R1150R Silver

Hiker
Basic User

Post by Hiker »

But unique to R1150 mounting hardware, correct?

Hiker
<Sonja>
2004 R1150R Silver

xaque
Lifer

Post by xaque »

I asked a BMW parts guy that question the other day (in regards to the mounts).

His response was that you could fuge an 1150gs' case mounts to work on the 1150r, but you wouldn't be able to have the tail rack becaus it's integrated with the "real" 1150r side case mounts.

The impression I got from him is that in a pinch you could use 1150gs mounts on the 1150r (sans the tail rack)

-Xaque-
"If you love your motorcycle, set it free. If it comes back, you probably high-sided."
wncbmw
Lifer

GS racks

Post by wncbmw »

The 1150 GS bag racks bolt right on the R. I replaced my stock ones with a set of GS racks because I did not want the tail rack and I ride solo. Plus, the GS racks clean up the lines of the bike and show off some of the side cover more! :D

Like this:

http://h2oman.smugmug.com/gallery/342248/1/13604415
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
MikeCam
Centurion Moderator!
Donating Member #: 100

Clarity

Post by MikeCam »

BMW system cases that fit a GS (1997-2004) are a precise fit on the R1150R. Matters not which rails you have.

BMW 35 liter Top case and mounting rack do not fit the R1150R.
The Older I Get, The Less I Know.
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

I like the standard swoopy-doopy RR rails and the nice little rear rack mounts to it and blends right in... :smt023

DJ

Leno

Post by Leno »

I also like the swoopy rails. Can't see the point of bolting boxy old square ones on if you have a fine looking pair as an althernative
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

If you want the tail 'rack', then you need the R1150R case mounts. Apparently all R11xx cases use the same mounting locations, so you can use GS cases (the system cases, not the aluminum GS Adventure cases - those I'm not sure about). All K-bike system cases only fit K-bikes. As for the R cases, the R11xxR and GS share the identical case while the R11xxRT and R11xxRS cases use the same but full size left case (requires lower muffler). I just bought a left case from an RT and have removed my muffler - lots more room.

I agree with the others here that the GS rails give the R cleaner lines, but if you need/want the rack, then you are stuck with the roadster rack.
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
wncbmw
Lifer

GS mounts

Post by wncbmw »

I like the standard swoopy-doopy RR rails and the nice little rear rack mounts to it and blends right in...
They all look good but differences in tastes make the world go round! :D I really had the goal of eliminating the tail rack, which I considered useless. The looks were just an after thought. Of course, if my wife ever starts riding with me again, I suppose I will be in the market to buy the stock racks back from someone! :?

Funny, I changed to the KRS mirrors strickly for the look and realized the practical benefit of wider field-of-view after the fact. :lol:
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
FGanger

Post by FGanger »

On the other hand, I had Jessie bags on my bike. Exactly the same ones which he makes for the GS.

They take a little getting used to, but look ugly off the bike. However, they sure hold a lot. :D They held everything for my daughter and me for 11,000 miles.

http://r1150r.smugmug.com/gallery/360900/5

Frank