Wind Screens

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

DrGubs
Basic User

Wind Screens

Post by DrGubs »

I am picking up nice red R1150R 2001 on Monday... I am trading my F650GS... I have been looking at different wind protection and have found one called the DEMON from Memphis Shades... It looks about the right size and shape and it fastens to the handlebars... They call it a universal fit... I plan to use it for any extended rides and I always use a full face helmet when on the highways. My question is: Has anyone had any experience with this product? If you do how was the fit and how did it work? Please volunteer any products you have used that have worked well to make some still air and keep the bugs and rain off me! I am located an hour north of Toronto Canada and warmth (Less Wind) with be a required very soon...

Thanks Andy
lcarlson
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Wind Screens

Post by lcarlson »

I bought my R1150R new with the BMW Touring screen, which I have found to be a nearly perfect combination of weather protection and lack of noise/buffeting. It is now sold by the Z-Tecknic division of National Cycle as the "R1150R Tall windscreen."
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

windscreens are a very subjective choice. too little, and its tiresome, too tall, and its loud and/or hot.

I have the stock BMW "sport" screen, which is in the middle. its loud, but with earplugs, not tiring at all.

this demon looks about the same height, MAYBE a bit taller. but definitely wider at the top. That should keep the wind off you, but move it right at your shoulder/neck. Possibly be loud and "buffety" :)

I certainly like the looks of it.

2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

You will get many replies I'm sure. This is mine with the BMW sport/fly screen I prefer it because of the lower buffeting than a taller screen which I have used in the past. I now wear better, Xmas tree shape, earplugs which reduce the wind noise greatly.
I do not ride in very cold weather, think 6°C is the lowest I've been out, so I am happy with the lower protection of the small screen. Up to the Scottish Highlands end of next month - post midge* season hopefully.
*midge a small blood-sucking (female only) flying creature found in great numbers in the damper areas of Scotland in summer months. Drives tourists and locals indoors.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin
DrGubs
Basic User

Post by DrGubs »

Thank you for providing the information... My new bike has the Fly Screen, I don't have enough seat time to eval so thanks for the comments... I did ride a 2004 1150 with the OEM tall screen and just found it right in my face, especially running around town, on and off the bike a lot... The stock wind deflector on the F650GS was very nice and is effective... The wind noise after a couple of hours became a bit much to endure...

I am planning a 14,000km ride next summer with a cousin form Europe, We plan to do across Canada down the West coast then route 66 to Chicago then home north of Toronto... between now and then it's all about getting the bike to the point of being able to ride between 6 - 10 hours per day still being able to think and able to sit down... My cousin owns 4 BMW's in Holland 2 K1100
one air head and an old BMW single the bike our grandfather rode when he was a young man...
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Post by EasyBee »

I used the little flyscreen and liked it. But with the dutch climate in mind (hot/cold/wet/dry/windy) it's nice to have options. So I bought the MRA vario screen.
You have the options to vary the spoiler effect accordingly.
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

I also had an MRA Vario screen fitted but it is much more upright than yours and produced a lot of noise. Very different as you see.
EasyBee
Basic User
Donating Member #: 61

Post by EasyBee »

There is a small version (Vario-Touring), like I have Image
and there is a bigger/higher version (Vario) , that you have/had Image
8790 Adaptive, Akrapovic, Hyperpro, Ilmberger, Bagster, MRA, paintsprayed wheels, BMW panniers.
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

There is a sport version of the MRA Vario x-screen as well (smaller than the "Touring")
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

From this and the other current screen thread I better refine what I mean. By buffeting I think of variable and turbulent and noisy airflow. Not necessarily great pressure on my chest and arms. That was the situation with my MRA vario. My smaller BMW fly/sport screen gives less wind protection for my torso (still acceptable for me) but much less turbulence with a steady air flow just missing the top of my helmet. I'm happier with that feel on the bike and am using more effective ear plugs.
Difficult to explain.
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

flyscreen for me,

I prefer to have less buffeting / wind noise, and keep warm by using decent gear and in the depths of winter a heated gillet.

Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
UberZogster
Basic User

Post by UberZogster »

I have MRA vario screens on my other bikes. It looks super good on this one. I might be getting one for this bike as I'm not super happy with the bmw ones I have. I really like running with nothing unless I'm running up and down the freeway.
dandeldesierto
Basic User

Post by dandeldesierto »

What windshield did you end up buying and how is it working out?
cswett
Basic User

Post by cswett »

If you can find a used Aeroflow, get one. They are the gold standard. Great protection and no buffeting. I can ride with my face shield up and have no wind in my face. Aeroflow doesn't make the mounts any more, but if you can find a used mount, Aeroflow may still have some windscreens for 1150R. I cracked mine in a garage tip-over last year and they still had some in stock.
Biff's R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 289

Post by Biff's R »

I started with the touring shield and then downsized to the Sport shield. Both were kind of noisy and i had some buffeting. I used those for a combined 3-4 years. and then I switched to the fly screen which was an improvement on both. I really liked it and have had it on for 5-6 years. I wanted to see if I could reduce the wind noise a little, so I took it off and I am currently riding naked and like it a lot. So give it a try you may like it.
Jeff (lifer #289)
'17 F800GSA
'04 R1150R
There ain't no education in the second kick of a mule!
gregor
Lifer

Post by gregor »

New improved earplugs and the addition of hand protectors made my 980 mile weekend to Scotland more comfortable. Max heat was too hot after a few minutes - a result for me and from the dead flies elsewhere my hands were well out of the breeze.The flyscreen kept my head and torso in calm/smooth air without any battering.