2015 R1200R Owners Thread

Ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new 2015 r12r lc. R1200RS info goes in here too!

Moderator: Moderators

Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

2015 R1200R Owners Thread

Post by Lost Rider »

I'll wait until I get it run-in before I start too much with the opinions, but of course wanted to share some photos of the new member of the family.
That whole bring your checkbook to the test drive thing. Oh yeah. :D

Get Lost!
peels
Basic User

Re: A Water Cooled Lost R1200R

Post by peels »

MY MY MY that bike is pretty in blue.

enjoy.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

Finn, sweet lookin' ride!! Begs the question, "who gets to break it in?" ;) This is how I feel right now :mrgreen:
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
2wheels
Donating Member #: 547

Post by 2wheels »

Hated the blue when I saw it at NEC(UK)! But in your photos it looks good and saw one in the sunshine to-day. Impressed.
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Congrats, Joe, Good luck.
It's all over now, Baby Blue
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

angellr wrote:Finn, sweet lookin' ride!! Begs the question, "who gets to break it in?" ;) This is how I feel right now :mrgreen:
Thank you for the kind words everyone, I'm a lucky guy to have this bike!

I broke it in already, following the guidelines of "riding on mountain twisty roads", I'm doing the 600 mile first service today. :mrgreen:
Oil and filter , FD oil and steering head torque adjustment.
Last edited by Lost Rider on Wed May 20, 2015 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get Lost!
Scota
Basic User

Post by Scota »

2wheels wrote:Hated the blue when I saw it at NEC(UK)! But in your photos it looks good and saw one in the sunshine to-day. Impressed.
I like the blue!
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

Now, with the new love flowing in my comments this new model doesn't change how great the previous R bikes still are and everyone with any BMW R****R should enjoy riding the best all around bike BMW has ever made. :)

Last edited by Lost Rider on Wed May 20, 2015 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get Lost!
Catchina
Lifer
Donating Member #: 998

Re: The 2015 Lost R1200R

Post by Catchina »

Thanks for the review. I'm looking forward for the weather to warm up so I can test ride one. I also want to try the new RS which has all the same technology as the R but with wind protection.
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

excellent review!!! thanks good read.

looks and sounds like a great bike. I figured the watery motor and oily clutch would add some smoothness. May I ask...does it still "feel like a BMW"?

I Do look forward to a review and pics with a shield(tall one). I prefer the R bikes look to be touring with screen, packs etc.... Haven't seen any yet, and I'm curious how they'll fit it around that instrument panel that is almost directly above the headlight.

I was showing the Mrs some pics and she really likes it in blue as well, said "you should get that" :lol: ...BUT...she hadn't seen the 9t yet. Which we looked at also. She seems into the old european bike look. And I'm proud.
sjbmw
Donating Member #: 263

Post by sjbmw »

Wow! Congrats.

That bike is BEEE UUUU TEEE FULL!
Freedom is dangerous. Those in power that steal freedom are more dangerous.
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

Thank you, glad to give some insight on what this new bike is like, for me at least. :mrgreen:
Get Lost!
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

Joe,

Was at the dealer Friday night, eyeballed one again. Question - how much protection from road-spray does the back extension/license-plate-holder provide the rider? It appeared to me that riding in weather would result in a wet stripe up my back.. but maybe something counteracts that. I saw you rode it on some wet roads, so figured I'd ask. I haven't seen the factory luggage for it yet, so wonder if it can fit what the old one does (full Roadcrafter in one pannier and my Schuberth and gloves in the other..)?

There was a 2014 R12R sitting next to it. Given a choice without riding the new one - I'd tend toward the "old" design. Much less plastic looking. Things like the rear-rack, throttle-bodies vs drive-by-wire just look more substantial to me. May just be my old eyeballs - I imagine airhead owners say the same sort of thing about the original R12R.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

Hi Don,
I did ride in rain on and off for two days and I didn't notice a stripe of road grim on my backpack or my bag on the rear seat, like I do on my other bike with no substantial rear fender. Heck the only clean part of the bike was on top from tail to headlight from all the rain and dirt from the wet gravels roads I was on. It seems like the mini fender under the plate or just the overall ( and somewhat minimal looking) design does something good to keep road spray off you, though I don't remember having any issue with that on my 07' R either.
I have since cut that mini fender thing off anyways, after that wet first trip I didn't see it as an issue, but I haven't rode in heavy rain since the tail-ectomy. It's raining pretty hard right now actually and for you I might go test it, BUT, my bike is nice and clean after a good washing and well...
What have I become, I don't want to get my bike dirty, it's going to be nice the rest of the week! LOL :lol:
Oh the horror, feel free to slap me.

Some BMW system cases of mine will be here Tuesday hopefully, I'm leaving as soon as they come in to ride up to a gig in San Fran (got a plane ticket from my client, but why fly when you can ride!). After the gig we're going to spend a few days riding up the coast to the Redwoods, I'll have more info for you on those cases when I get back.
I forgot how bloody expensive those cases are, I guess considering how long and well my old ones survived on my adventures it's a good investment. BUT, it kind of scares me that BMW lists them as "spray proof", and want to sell you a "waterproof" liner... it will break my heart if these cases aren't 100% everything proof.... I just want to have faith BMW wouldn't do that and still charge about $1100.

Yeah, remember, the forum was going crazy when the 1200 came out, a mutiny! No fusebox! No Beak! The oil cooler is in a terrible place! The gauges are horrible, like out of a science fiction movie! To many high tech gizmos!
It's no different than then. The 2015 is still an RR, feels like an RR, has everything to offer as the best all around bike BMW makes, like any RR before it. Only improved in many ways, like the 1200 was. Some new things folks won't like, like the switch gear, but people will get used it and enjoy the new bike just the same. Time will pass, more people will buy them to replace their aging R's, more good reports, the world will not end and life will go on with happy RR riders smiling all over the place. :mrgreen:

By all means I think this bike is a worthy successor to the awesome 07' I had. Feels good to be home. :D
Get Lost!
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

thanks for the pics and review. looks/sounds like a fantastic machine.

a ride to san fran on it seems perfect to me.

enjoy.
Rrider
Donating Member #: 744

Post by Rrider »

Thanks for the great report and photos Joe. I'm hoping my husband will be convinced he should buy one for me! Post some photos of the new bags when you can.
07 Black R1200R
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

Finally stopped in the Beemer shop, and got to see that 1200R in person. The blue, I didn't like it as much as I thought :/ I thought it was a candy blue. Still looks good, and more interesting than the black, and it is a VERY nicely styled and comfortable bike. ergonomics seemed perfect for me... It was still cold, and wet out or I might have had a ride and been swayed, color be damned =D> . Also I guarantee that blue is better in the sun, not a dark shop....

Strangely, I was more taken with the 9t. I hadn't ever really given it a close look. But, it is absolutely gorgeous. I almost bought it. LOL And still thinking really hard about it.

also, the new GS in blue.... nice machine-but way more bike than I could need/want right now. 8) nekkid or nothing!
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

Thanks for all the input and pix of your beautiful machine.
Mike
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

Thank you for the kind words!

So an update is ready...

Over 4500 miles on the new RR now, getting ready for fresh tires and it's 6k service.
The motor is opening up beautifully, coming of age if you will, I'm getting 58mpg on two lane roads and about 45mpg @ 80mph on the western US Interstates.
Shifting is buttery smooth, I've change my ways and have no more issue with going into first, just bang it in.
It's hardy burned any oil, certainly won't need to add any before the 6k service I'll be doing.

Everything else is working beautifully, I can't say enough about how I enjoy this new bike with these new options. Cruise control being my favorite followed by the shift assist.
The full gauge seems to be pretty accurate if a little conservative, I've had it down to where it showed empty and I was able to get 4.5 gallons in it.

The screen is still working out just fine for me, keeping the bugs off most of my body, helping with fatigue on the open road and keeping me alive when very cold.

Last edited by Lost Rider on Sun May 17, 2015 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get Lost!
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

And finally some eye candy of the 12R with various backgrounds. :)

Last edited by Lost Rider on Wed May 20, 2015 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Get Lost!