Ping Dr Strangelove

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

ron prior
Basic User

Ping Dr Strangelove

Post by ron prior »

I noticed in your photos, that on your new R1200R you installed aftermarket [Givi] ? panniers / bags as opposed to the BMW system units. Any particular reason why? I am considering a 1200 & am just thinking ahead. I currently have an R1150R w/system bags and find them to be on the small side & somewhat difficult to pack [odd shape]. Most [of] the capacity is in the lid. Do not really want the same issues if I do decide to move to a newer bike. .....Thanks
peels
Basic User

Re: Ping Dr Strangelove

Post by peels »

I find if you take the 1150 cases off and pack them carefully while open on the ground, then slam it shut like a book...you can cram A LOT of crap in there.

Old ladies might look at you funny at the grocery store though. :) doesnt matter, its still better than caging on a nice summer day! 8)

My record:

right side:

BIG bag guinea pig bedding.
guinea pig food
guinea pig hay
2 gallons of liquid pool chlorine

left side(smaller):

2lbs hamburger,
16 buns,
12pk coors summer brew
small bag charcoal.

I probably looked a total doofus, but I dont care.

OH YEAH!!! 8)
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

peels wrote:I find if you take the 1150 cases off and pack them carefully while open on the ground, then slam it shut like a book...you can cram A LOT of crap in there.

Old ladies might look at you funny at the grocery store though. :) doesnt matter, its still better than caging on a nice summer day! 8)

My record:

right side:

BIG bag guinea pig bedding.
guinea pig food
guinea pig hay
2 gallons of liquid pool chlorine

left side(smaller):

2lbs hamburger,
16 buns,
12pk coors summer brew
small bag charcoal.

I probably looked a total doofus, but I dont care.

OH YEAH!!! 8)

LOL!! I agree ....but it's not just the side loading...they're just annoying, and more 'round than ' rectangular' .
roger l
Donating Member #: 1

Post by roger l »

I have the BMW hard cases on my R1200R. I also have the bag liners. In my opinion the bag liners are the only way to use the side opening BMW cases. I do lots of motorcycle camping and I take the liners out of the cases and take them right into the tent. In the morning pack the liners then put them directly into the cases. The liners basically turn the side opening cases into top loading cases.

Just my 2 cents
Roger L
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

Hi, Ron

It's a coin flip between the two imo

>>> you installed aftermarket [Givi] ? panniers / bags as opposed to the BMW system units. Any particular reason why? I am considering a 1200 & am just thinking ahead. I currently have an R1150R w/system bags and find them to be on the small side & somewhat difficult to pack [odd shape]. Most [of] the capacity is in the lid. Do not really want the same issues if I do decide to move to a newer bike<<<

The bike came with the GIVI setup, so I didn't choose the GIVIs over the system cases that I had on my 1150. The system cases and the GIVIs are about the same size, pack about the same, seem to have similar durability so far. I ran my system cases for nearly 100k miles and the GIVIs have about 50 on them. The GIVIs are cheaper I believe, and the panel that is yellow on mine is removable, which is what I did to spray paint them. The rack for the GIVIs is more visible than the one for the system cases, leaving a black rectangle support visible when the cases are off. Not horrendous though.
The GIVIs may attach a little more strongly??? but I had no problems with either case.
What is flimsier on the GIVI is the restraining strap holding the clamshell. I've had to fix that a couple of times. On my topcase I replaced them with some fine chain.
About 40% of the capacity is in the lid-both topcase and side cases, but I didn't have a real problem with either setup with things falling out when opened.
The GIVIs are more egg shaped than the BMW cases, but I found both pack ok and do not have a problem with the shape; obviously you do, so I would say do not expect anything different in that regard from the GIVIs
What I dislike about the GIVIs most is their "style." Much more "bling" than stylish Italian design. Too much chrome. My preference if I did it and price was not a consideration would be Caribou or Jesse or TouraTech...aluminum boxes.
For now I'll live with the GIVIs as they perform fine enough. The topcase is starting to show some age though and when that needs replacement I am going to figure out how to attach a Pelican case.

I didn't look up that actual volumes of the two cases, you probably al;ready did. In real world they hold about the same amount of stuff. "Force" closure when over stuffed is about the same. I will say the GIVI latching mechanism is more robust than that POS red tab thing on the system cases.

Hope this helps

John
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
ron prior
Basic User

Post by ron prior »

Dr. Strangelove wrote:Hi, Ron

It's a coin flip between the two imo

>>> you installed aftermarket [Givi] ? panniers / bags as opposed to the BMW system units. Any particular reason why? I am considering a 1200 & am just thinking ahead. I currently have an R1150R w/system bags and find them to be on the small side & somewhat difficult to pack [odd shape]. Most [of] the capacity is in the lid. Do not really want the same issues if I do decide to move to a newer bike<<<

The bike came with the GIVI setup, so I didn't choose the GIVIs over the system cases that I had on my 1150. The system cases and the GIVIs are about the same size, pack about the same, seem to have similar durability so far. I ran my system cases for nearly 100k miles and the GIVIs have about 50 on them. The GIVIs are cheaper I believe, and the panel that is yellow on mine is removable, which is what I did to spray paint them. The rack for the GIVIs is more visible than the one for the system cases, leaving a black rectangle support visible when the cases are off. Not horrendous though.
The GIVIs may attach a little more strongly??? but I had no problems with either case.
What is flimsier on the GIVI is the restraining strap holding the clamshell. I've had to fix that a couple of times. On my topcase I replaced them with some fine chain.
About 40% of the capacity is in the lid-both topcase and side cases, but I didn't have a real problem with either setup with things falling out when opened.
The GIVIs are more egg shaped than the BMW cases, but I found both pack ok and do not have a problem with the shape; obviously you do, so I would say do not expect anything different in that regard from the GIVIs
What I dislike about the GIVIs most is their "style." Much more "bling" than stylish Italian design. Too much chrome. My preference if I did it and price was not a consideration would be Caribou or Jesse or TouraTech...aluminum boxes.
For now I'll live with the GIVIs as they perform fine enough. The topcase is starting to show some age though and when that needs replacement I am going to figure out how to attach a Pelican case.

I didn't look up that actual volumes of the two cases, you probably al;ready did. In real world they hold about the same amount of stuff. "Force" closure when over stuffed is about the same. I will say the GIVI latching mechanism is more robust than that POS red tab thing on the system cases.

Hope this helps

John

It does...and Thanks.

Ron
P_Jensen
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1130

Post by P_Jensen »

Moving from a 04 R and the system cases with quick change lids (city & regular), I went with the Givi's on my 14 R. In the reasearch I did before deciding the differences were not big but more a couple of small things:
The look of the Givi's (IMHO) fit the R a little more than the BMW bags, the BMW bags look nice on the RT but a bit oversized for the R.
The overall width with bags, the Givi's are about 3 - 4 inches less than with the BMW bags (about 38") due to the curved shape of the inside of the bags.
Capacity of the Bags are listed as about the same, the BMW bags loose capacity to the double wall construction but the shape will hold a helmet easier.
The BMW bag mounting rails show less without the bags, but the Givi quick release syslem comes off with 5 zeus (quick turn)fastners and then there are only a couple of small pieces left on the bike (below the passenger peg & front mounting point) the rear mount is a cover with a 1" hole for the fastner).
The cost of the Givi's is a little less than the BMW set-up but not by much, the BMW bags run about $1,000 + rails (maybe included with the bike) and the Givi's are about $579 for the V35 bags (+ $111 for colored side covers, used to be available for about $625 on the bags) and $275 for the mounts with some retailers giving 10% off.
I have the Montego blue R so I went with satin silver side panels and I think the bags look good on the bike. I also use the liner bags, had them with the system cases and bought the Givi ones as well makes the packing and loading much easier.
P Jensen
14 R1200R
Montego Blue
NW VT USA
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

This post needs pictures!!!

I have Hepco Bekker bags on my 08. Not elegant and very utilitarian in appearance, but they do offer a bunch of space and make the R a good long distance hauler even when camping.

Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
Dr. Strangelove
Double Lifer

Post by Dr. Strangelove »

This post needs pictures!!!
I understand they're worth a thousand words.
ok...here are some I think I posted a good while back. They are shot with a wide angle lens so the perspective may be a little off, making one case look falsely sig bigger than another. You can see that sometimes the BMW looks bigger and sometimes the GIVI look bigger. That's why I put a yardstick by them.
In real world they hold about the same. On my bracket I see nothing that looks like Dzus fasteners, but three bolts on each side that attach to the frame. Nothing quick release or even suggestive of it. Maybe they changed the design.

Aside: note how much more visible Blanche is w the "blond" highlights
'09 Schwarze Blanche DuBois
Well, don't do that-Hippocrates
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

that yellow/black theme looks very nice!

aesthetically, the givis beat the system cases. :) looks like durability even too...maybe? I did lose a system case while riding...theres a rather funny post here about it too. And it survived nicely.

Plus I snapped a strap on my left side case while side loading.....that was unfortunate.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
P_Jensen
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1130

Post by P_Jensen »

Looking at the Givi site looks like they changed the mounting system with the 11-14 models (PLXR5100) having the rapid release mounting system and the 06-10 models (PLX688) have just side case mounting hardware difference is about $41.00 in cost. Looking at the parts fiche the BMW case holders are the same part number, but the rear footrest brakets (where one of the mounts is attached) is different.

06-10
http://www.giviusa.com/my-motorcycle/bm ... are-detail

46 71 7 688 780 FOOTREST PLATE, REAR RIGHT
46 71 7 693 113 FOOTREST PLATE, REAR LEFT
46 54 7 697 183 BMW Left case Holder
46 54 7 697 184 BWW Right Case Holder
71 60 7 700 008 BMW Set Case Holder

11-14
http://www.giviusa.com/my-motorcycle/bm ... ame-detail

46 71 7 728 893 FOOTREST PLATE, REAR LEFT
46 71 7 728 894 FOOTREST PLATE, REAR RIGHT
46 54 7 697 183 BMW Left case Holder