Broken saddlebag cleat

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

decimus
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Broken saddlebag cleat

Post by decimus »

Drat, drat, and triple drat!

I banged my ('96 R110R) right hard-shell luggage case against the garage wall and the front CLEAT broke off, making it useless. A replacement bag looks shockingly expensive. :shock:

Anybody know where to find a right case for less than my rent? [-o<
1996 R1100R "Raquel"
1971 R75/5 "Bertha"
Photo
Lifer
Donating Member #: 217

Re: Broken saddlebag cleat

Post by Photo »

Single system case replacement is usually expensive ($200-$500, used). Used sets come up on CL and on the IBMWR.org site at reasonable prices, but not as often as one hopes.

=D> The good news is: system cases are surprisingly modular, and can be taken apart easily! =D> If you are even "moderately" handy, you can replace the bottom/inner shell of the case (where this cleat resides). If you have access to a drill and some small bits, you can drill through the hinge rivets on the bottom of the case, then remove the handle/lock unit (removing only 4 screws) from the broken inner shell. Transfer all the old parts to the following new system case part:

03 46 54 2 317 620 BOTTOM PART RGHT WITHOUT MULTIFUNCT.BOX $140.95

Buy some small, long screws and nuts to replace the drilled rivets on the bottom side of your system case (using an extra lock nut on the inside) then cut off the excess threads and file the remaining screw down smooth, so it doesn't tear up anything you place inside the case and- Voila! Inner system case shell problem is resolved.

To find a blow-apart diagram of your system cases, go to this MAX BMW Microfiche link:
http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/ ... d=04282014

Select the "Frame, Fairing & Cases" link at the top of the page, and scan for the system case Diagram #46_0253. MAX BMW's Microfiche rocks. MAX BMW's price quotes may vary from Foothills or BMW of Denver, but are a good indicator of how much you could pay for the new part before going to the parts desk for a good dose of "sticker shock".

Don't dread working on stuff like this. I've fixed at least 4 system cases for myself and others. It is really easy to do, with a few simple tools.
The EZ-board poster formerly known as "Photo82"