Has anyone replaced the R/L oil cooler banks with a single?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

WineGuyD
Basic User

Has anyone replaced the R/L oil cooler banks with a single?

Post by WineGuyD »

My spring project is to lighten my '96 R1100R and mod it to slightly cafe racer specs. I'll be replacing the exhaust system with a GPR unit and stripping off the pillion and passenger foot pegs but the big question is whether it's feasible to remove and replace the two big oil cooler banks with a single unit mounted in front of the engine. I know the paralever gets in the way, perhaps it can be mounted lower. If anyone has done it specifically on an R1100R please post pics and if possible, part names and sources.
Eli the wine guy
ICBMguy
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Has anyone replaced the R/L oil cooler banks with a sing

Post by ICBMguy »

Oliver is/was on this forum and did a great looking custom job on his, replacing the "ears" with a GS cooler mounted under the paralever.
2000 R1100R Graphite & Ice Blue "Jasper"
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

Look up OMG1010 posts (Oliver) as mentioned by ICBMguy he had a real beauty with quite a few pics and info. Have not heard from him in awhile maybe he will chime in.
Mike
jmckeown
Basic User

Post by jmckeown »

I do remember that he said he was having cooling issues in extreme conditions, so he moved to a bigger cooler - if memory serves it was off a duc
WineGuyD
Basic User

Post by WineGuyD »

ICBMguy wrote:Oliver is/was on this forum and did a great looking custom job on his, replacing the "ears" with a GS cooler mounted under the paralever.

Took me a while but I found Oliver's photo's…looks promising but it entails swapping the Telelever from an R1150. If I can find one on ebay or the Boneyard I might do it.
Eli the wine guy
JohanOtten
Basic User

Post by JohanOtten »

I did it as well. I have a R1150gs cooler on there. The thing is the tubing. I had to use quite an amount of couplings to get to the right size. But maybe my store was just badly stocked. Watch out as there are similair threads that seem to fit, but they don't. Ruining the thread in your block is costly.

If you have crashbars mounted is I have its a really easy deal to mount the cooler on there. Otherise look at Olivers sollution. It is quite cramped around there. It all fits, but make sure everything is secure. My first claps tended to rotate a bit with a lot of bumps so the front fender started to touch the cooler. Dammages the fender and there is the chance of your steering lockin up on that, and as we all know. You dont want that.
WineGuyD
Basic User

Post by WineGuyD »

Johan, can you post a photo of your set up?
Eli the wine guy