Bought a Schuberth

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Snapping Twig
Basic User

Bought a Schuberth

Post by Snapping Twig »

A C3 Pro.

I did it because of the noise the R generates.

I have been using an Shoei X-11 which is a great helmet - but - now that I have a Wunderlich Trophy fairing the turbulent air is redirected to my neck area.

This is the only thing the X-11 is deficient on. It's made to move a lot of air and no amount of neck wear plugged the opening under the helmet.

Add to this, at freeway speeds the Shoei wanted to lift off my head if the wind caught it just right.

The Schuberth has air foils in the lower front and a spoiler in the rear for down force. This is great. As a modular, the neck opening is sealed tight and overall it is made for quiet.

The C3 Pro also has an optional bluetooth system, fits right in, easy to work and also a built in antenna to connect with the bluetooth system.

Modular is too cool! I'm going to like this.

Once I heal from the cost of the helmet, I'll get the bluetooth system and a mount for my droid. I'll also unleash that plug under the tank and set it up for the droid.

Be nice to have communications & music or talk shows plus GPS with audio directions in the helmet.

So that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Scriber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1127

Re: Bought a Schuberth

Post by Scriber »

I love mine. Best helmet I've owned. Previous helmet was a Shoei X-12. I agree with your comments. Now you just have to figure out who you want to leave the Schuberth to in your will.
2013 R1200R
The meaning of my motorcycle: www.betweenmachine.com
zend
Basic User

Post by zend »

Congratulations. I love my Schuberth. It's a great helmet.

Question for you - I'm new to BMW bikes. When I got my bike about two weeks ago, I went searching for a power port in the front and couldn't find one. Your post got me searching and I now understand that there's a CanBus port under the tank. How do you plan to wire this up into a USB port / cradle? Something like CanBus -> 12v Powerlet -> 5v USB? Are there specific parts you already have in mind?

Thanks and enjoy the new lid.
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Post by Snapping Twig »

My plan was to get the connector from BMW and find a way to mount it out of the way, probably on the front of the tank, but still not certain.

After that a USB adapter and then a USB cord from my droid to connect.

Hope this helps.
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

C3 Pro + screenless R12R + properly sealed foam earplugs (or Etymotics) = seashell silence. :D
Bill
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Post by Snapping Twig »

Other than the wind trying to seperate me from the bike at freeway speeds, that sounds like a solution.

The original sport screen allowed more wind than I was interested in to impact my torso.

Truth be told, the CeeBailey screen I was using wasn't bad at all, save for the turbulence and noise.

So far so good between the Trophy fairing and the Schuberth.
zend
Basic User

Post by zend »

Thanks for the info on the electronics. If I decide to wire up a outlet near the front of the bike, I think I'll just with go with a Powerlet outlet hard-wired to the battery.

Back on topic : I've been riding with the C3 Pro light tint face shield for a while. It's worth a look if you're not satisfied by the glare/sun reduction of the clear shield plus integrated sun visor. Hopefully you've already installed the pinlock shield, too.
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Post by Snapping Twig »

Thanks for that. I wear sunglasses so that plus the drop down sun shade... we're good.

I was weak today, I did some shopping and went to my local dealer where I bought the helmet and challenged them to price match on the SRC bluetooth, and they did AND beat the price while they were at it!

So, you throw down an offer if you're dumb enough fully expecting them NOT to take it - then they do - so you gotta ante up.

It's installed and charging, so maybe tomorrow I'll pair it to my phone and try it out.
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

I know this has nothing to do with helmets. If I could afford a Schuberth right now I would already have one.

Zend, do a search on the gps auxiliary plug that is near the front headlight. For $14 you can purchase a BMW
Repair plug 83300413585 and hard wire your powerlet. No need to go all the way to the battery. Plus the canBUS will automatically switch it off after three minutes.

You can use this tutorial. It is the same on our R bikes as the GS. http://www.motorcycleinfo.co.uk/index.c ... eId=167512
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by deilenberger »

zend wrote:Congratulations. I love my Schuberth. It's a great helmet.

Question for you - I'm new to BMW bikes. When I got my bike about two weeks ago, I went searching for a power port in the front and couldn't find one. Your post got me searching and I now understand that there's a CanBus port under the tank. How do you plan to wire this up into a USB port / cradle? Something like CanBus -> 12v Powerlet -> 5v USB? Are there specific parts you already have in mind?

Thanks and enjoy the new lid.
You might look at: http://burnsmoto.com/ - I have http://burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php tie-wrapped to the left (port) side frame tube right under the rear edge of the tank. That allows me to run a USB cable directly to whatever I want to power inside my tank bag (typically my Galaxy 4S..)

Mine is wired up to a FuzeBlock http://burnsmoto.com/fuze-blocks-fz-1.php - which is mounted under the seat on the top of the rear "fender" and powered through a 30A fuse to the battery, and a relay trigger powered off the running light in the headlight.

The GPS port (which is what people are talking about) is controlled by the ZFE (the "CanBUS" power controller for the bike) - and is wired in parallel to the accessory outlet on the left (port) side. It doesn't switch off for 30 seconds after the ignition is turned off, useful for the GPS - gives time to switch it to battery power - but perhaps annoying for other devices.

The Burns Moto USB outlet is a high-power one (charges up a phone fairly quickly) and is just a damn handy thing to have on the bike. It can be connected to constant on power since it only draws >1mA when nothing is plugged into it.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
1964Hall
Basic User

Post by 1964Hall »

websterize wrote:C3 Pro + screenless R12R + properly sealed foam earplugs (or Etymotics) = seashell silence. :D
Good news, I've just removed an ugly plastic sheild that was on the new to me R12r. I'm going to try and run it like this and also looking at the C3 Pro as a new helmet
\v/
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

About the foam earplugs, there's a right and wrong way to insert them. Check out this invaluable how-to video from 3M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPNPZJingZA
Bill
Patch
Lifer
Donating Member #: 975

Post by Patch »

Just saw an email from MAX about coming Schuberth test-rides in June. Can't think of a better way to see if it suits me better than my RF-1100

If you live in New England you may want to check it out
2011 R1200 R
MrPMS
Double Lifer

Post by MrPMS »

I beg to differ with the Schuberth fans. I bought the C3 and although it was quieter than my Shoei 1100, it was SUFFOCATING in warmer temperatures (80F+). I finally had to remove the under-chin piece to avoid breathing the same air all day. I called mine "the emperors new helmet" and sold it shortly after a long trip. Unless all of your rides are in cooler climates, stick with the Shoei.
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Post by deilenberger »

MrPMS wrote:I beg to differ with the Schuberth fans. I bought the C3 and although it was quieter than my Shoei 1100, it was SUFFOCATING in warmer temperatures (80F+). I finally had to remove the under-chin piece to avoid breathing the same air all day. I called mine "the emperors new helmet" and sold it shortly after a long trip. Unless all of your rides are in cooler climates, stick with the Shoei.
I ride quite frequently in temps well over 80F.. yesterday was about 91F, and have never had a heat related problem or breathing problem with the Schuberth unless stuck not moving for more than 3-4 minutes, which will be a problem with any full-face. Cure is to crack the shield open. There is no magic helmet which will ensure air circulation when not moving, and the air circulation on the Schuberth is outstanding when it's ridden in "free" air. If you ride behind a big-ass (tech-term) windshield YMMV - but that's due to no air movement getting to the helmet.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!
MrPMS
Double Lifer

Post by MrPMS »

I'm obviously in the minority on this subject but I'd still like to clarify a few points:
1. My windshield is a mid-size Wunderlich that I can easily see about 2-3 inches over. Perhaps riding with a smaller one or without one would change my opinion.
2. My biggest problem with the Schuberth was its fixed under-chin piece. While effectively sealing out noise, it eliminated an important part of the inner air circulation, and I found it stifling in anything over 85F. In fact I finally dismantled mine and rode the next 2000 miles to the Oregon Rally with the raw edge of the shell exposed in front! Not recommended, but that's how uncomfortable it was for me.
The Shoei has an easily removable piece here, and I rarely ride with it in.
3. The Scuberth costs almost twice the price of the Shoei.
4. The Schuberth claims to be the lightest full face helmet. Yet the Shoei weighed exactly the same (3 lbs with shield, size medium).
I finally sold mine on Ebay at a deep discount and was very happy to be rid of it.
As Don says, YRMV.
daveyator
Lifer

Post by daveyator »

Not trying to bash but I found the Schuberth C3 pro to be noisy and unfriendly on a number of fronts. Especially considering how much it cost and how much I lost getting rid of it. But keep in mind I'm a picky bastard also.
I finally got got an RT!
'11 R1200R Classic, '07 R12R, '99 R1100R. Gone but not forgotten
Snapping Twig
Basic User

Post by Snapping Twig »

Can't please everyone.

Some folks don't like Rolls Royce, doesn't mean they're bad, just don't like 'em.
scooterme

Post by scooterme »

I'm very tempted by the C2 Pro for my next helmet, if I can make it fit my narrow Arai noggin. I understand the Pro has a bit more forehead room, and that there are narrow cheek pads available.

I like the idea of the built in SRC headset, much slicker than my Scala Rider, but I'd need to find a way to plug in headphones instead of the speakers. I can't find anyone who's done this mod, and I'm sure not ready to jump into a warantee distroying mod like this without someone else going before me. I will keep on searching.
ImageImage
daveyator
Lifer

Post by daveyator »

Be careful scooter. I just went through the C3 pro thinking the same thing but never got past the 1st hour without excruciating hot spots . I have an Arai oval head also but have resisted buying their helmets until now. The Signet-Q fits me better than any helmet I've ever had.
I finally got got an RT!
'11 R1200R Classic, '07 R12R, '99 R1100R. Gone but not forgotten