New Fairing

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

jmckeown
Basic User

New Fairing

Post by jmckeown »

First a back story...
When I bought by r11r, it had a huge windshield on it that induced a lot of buffeting, so I tried all kinds of angles with it, but never got anywhere so I eventually just took it off, and I really love the clean, smooth air from a naked bike (everything I've had before has had some kind of fairing windshield)

The only thing that has bugged me is the amount of wind in my chest above about 70 mph. I decided I wanted to try a cafe quarter fairing (I sort of like the look too). After looking around I decided to go with the emgo viper fairing that you can find re-branded at several retailers. I choose it based on looks & price.

I purchased it from chaparral motorsports for around $60 shipped.
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product ... MgodXlcALQ
It's honestly nicer than I expected for the price.

Things I would do to improve it:
- there are plenty of rubber washers & the screws seem nice enough, but there aren't enough steel washers that back the rubber ones (without the steel washer backing the rubber washer, the screw simply sinks down in the washer & eventually destroys it.
- The universal aspect isn't easy - it took me and a helper about an hour to install it - most of that time was spent "guessing and checking" our bends to make the universal brackets work. I'll probably look to get some straight steel stuff and bend matching brackets for the fairing.
- I have not been able to ride the bike yet (I hope to be able to later this week - but we're in the middle of a bunch of ice/snow) but based on the looks/fitment/etc I wouldn't hesitate to buy again.

Anyway, on to the pics - hopefully I'll have a ride report soon.

I will say the smoked windscreen is a lot less "purple" in person (though slightly so - these are just quick iphone shots - I'll take some more with a dslr when the weather improves.
smutny
Basic User

Re: New Fairing

Post by smutny »

Look good! Can't wait to read the ride report...
John Smutny
2000 R1100R
Doug
Site Admin
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Doug »

Looks good! I've purchased some emgo stuff before, not the most thought out or perfect stuff, but it gets the job done, and the prices are decent. Let us know how you like it after a few rides.
Member #1
jmckeown
Basic User

Post by jmckeown »

I've finally been able to get a few rides in and I really like it. (I've only been up to 70 mph so far)

It seems to do a great job of knocking wind off my chest a bit, but not messing with the wind coming to my helmet (thus no buffeting)
So it's basically doing exactly what I wanted. I'll hopefully be able to get in some 80mph+ runs in to check it out.
kamanje14
Basic User

Post by kamanje14 »

Hi jmckeown,
Sorry for bringing up an old thread but i was searching for fairings for a R1150R. I came upon your post and the fairing you mounted on your bike, which has a R90 S look. I Just bought a R1150R about a month ago and would like to mount the same fairing as you have on your bike, how tough would it be to put on the R1150? Any suggestions would be very helpful, thank you. Steve
jmckeown
Basic User

Post by jmckeown »

Hey Steve,

I'm not super familiar with the 1150, but I know it has been done. I actually got the idea from seeing this fairing on an 1150.
Good luck!
kamanje14
Basic User

Post by kamanje14 »

Thanks, right now I have a BMW Flyscreen on it and I may be able to attach the fairing to the existing brackets...with some adjustment for sure....I m just a little worried that the surface area of the 1/4 faring might be a little to strong for the existing brackets from the Flyscreen as it s surface area is smaller.. Your brackets were quite smart, looking at the R1150 instruments they look similar to the 1100. I think I have two options, one bend the existing brackets, something like what you did, or second option create brackets like yours and attach them to the existing location for the flyscreen brackets just under the bars. A little more planning is in order....as they say measure twice, cut once...
garyc
Basic User

Post by garyc »

This is off topic, but I noticed your aftermarket exhaust. If you would PM me, I would be interested in how that has worked out for you. Thanks Gary C.
Since I was 13 yrs. old, I eat, drink, sleep, live, love, and learn MOTORCYCLES. I am 55 now.