engine oil 1150R

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

ornk
Basic User

engine oil 1150R

Post by ornk »

hello

I am wondering if it is ok to use non synthetic oil 20w50 in my R1150R - it would be for a short period of time as eventually I would use synthetic in the future. The machine has been in storage and recently "revived". However, living in New England is a very short riding season and I only want to change the oil to run it less than a mile to add gas stabilizer to the fuel system for winter storage. It has 12k miles on it and I plan on having a complete service and all fluids changed in the spring. Any input would be most helpful
mnnden
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: engine oil 1150R

Post by mnnden »

This is just my opinion, I don't think it makes any difference, again just my opinion but I prefer non-synthetic, esp in the final drive, I have read where BMW has put their stamp of approval on synthetics in both the trans & final dr., so I'm sure it would probley be fine, I change oil quite frequently & prefer non-synthetic.
We all gave some,
Some gave all.

Anonymous
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

ornk wrote:hello

I am wondering if it is ok to use non synthetic oil 20w50 in my R1150R - it would be for a short period of time as eventually I would use synthetic in the future. The machine has been in storage and recently "revived". However, living in New England is a very short riding season and I only want to change the oil to run it less than a mile to add gas stabilizer to the fuel system for winter storage. It has 12k miles on it and I plan on having a complete service and all fluids changed in the spring. Any input would be most helpful
Most definitely! I've been running Castrol 20/50 since 2003. At one time Castrol 20/50 was what BMW recommended. 20/50 conventional oil is great. I use 20/50 in summer, 10/40 in winter. I change mine often enough and don't run a lot in real hot weather to where I've ever thought I needed to seriously consider synthetic.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
BigC
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by BigC »

I ran Amsoil in mine for 3 years and it was great. Then my "supplier" decided to stop selling it and I went for something easily obtainable at your local Walmart, Moibil 1 15w-50. The thing started smoking when it was on it's sidestand for any length of time which was totally embarrassing. I put up with that for about a month and then switched to Castrol 20w-50 and that solved my issue's. So I'm on board with Towerworkers assessment completely.
'04 R1150R