Spline Lubes To be or not to Be

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

rprothero
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 96

Spline Lubes To be or not to Be

Post by rprothero »

All -

Going to sound like a nube question but how often should the splines be lubed for an R1150 R? Is there a tell-tale sign before destruction etc? Does anyone have a link to good instructionals on the process or is this something I should leave to my local shop? IE dabbling deeper and deeper into the engineering but dont want to hose up my ride if this is a very delicate process..Words of Wisdom welcome...
BigC
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Spline Lubes To be or not to Be

Post by BigC »

How many miles? There aren't any telltale signs to my knowledge. I think CycleRob posted his results here...do a search. It took me 7'ish hours my first time. I had a transmission jack and just slid the wheel, swing arm and trans back all in one piece. I'd say a Clymers manual or the like is a necessity. If you can do it yourself, great, enjoy the cash you saved and the piece of mind knowing how it was done. If not, take it to a reputable place and cope with bill I guess...
'04 R1150R
bransan
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Spline Lubes To be or not to Be

Post by bransan »

Manual say's 24,000mi. Not a easy job, but well worth the time. I do mine in the winter about every other year.
I have documented some of the procedure on this site. Search spline shaft lube.
Keep Your Stick On the Ice.
Listen to Me at kaxe.org