Adding A Screen

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

todehnal
Basic User

Adding A Screen

Post by todehnal »

Hey Guys,
This wind screen thing is driving me nuts! I really don't want to destroy the clean lines of my 04 R1150R. I have only had it for a couple of month now, but I love it! It would be nice to reduce the wind effect a little. I'm not looking for a max protect super tall shield, just a little something to reduce the blast. Most of my riding is done in the 60 MPH range, often with the wife on, and the wind can be a little tiring. I have heard of the BMW sport screen, and something called a fly screen. I can't seem to find pics of them, or availability. I have found some others though; C Bailey, V stream, etc. I'm just looking for a little advice, as I don't want a garage full of trial and errors. Thanks in advance...................Tom
2004 R1150R
curtis
Basic User

Re: Adding A Screen

Post by curtis »

Mine has a windscreen, which I think is the BMW sport screen, with the addition of 'laminar lip'. Both were installed by a PO, not sure if at the same time or even by the same PO(I am third owner). Still there is a significant blast over 60mph so I tend to 'lay' behind it as much as possible when on the interstate. Personally I don't think the sport screen negatively affects the appearance at all, and might even enhance it. The lip is a little 'busy' looking, but still I don't mind it.
I will try to dig up a pic.
Ron C
Atlanta, GA

2005 R1150R (Granite Gray)
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

The sport screen looks nice with BMW lines. wont hurt a thing. There is some buffeting at highways speed though...but I live with it.

I am considering adding the laminar lip to it for a trip im taking in the fall.

here is mine with the sport.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-2tIW ... F370A4.JPG
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
ldeijkva
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by ldeijkva »

I'm using a speedster screen:

Works like a charm up to 100~110kmpu.
I'm 1,92m (think 6 foot something) tall, takes away most of the wind on the uppertorso. Arms & shoulders are exposed.
todehnal
Basic User

Post by todehnal »

Hey ldeijkva,

I love the look of your shield. I went on a search and found the part number for one in smoke, but I couldn't find anything in the USA in clear, like yours. I think that I would prefer clear; your thoughts? You wouldn't happen to have a BMW part number would you? The smoke kit is available here and the part number is 71 60 7666 294. I hate to be picky, but at over $300 US, I would like to have what I want. Still on the hunt, but yours has top billing so far..............Tom
2004 R1150R
jwagreen
Basic User

Post by jwagreen »

I have had the same wind buffeting with the sport screen and I decided to take the screen off completely and ride without one. I completed a 750 mile trip without the screen and it was nice clean air.
SteveJJ
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1113

Post by SteveJJ »

I've had mine ('03) a little over a month, it has the smoked sports screen from BMW, looks great but puts the bug splat right at eye level on the face shield. I'm 5,9 so your mileage may vary. I'd like a taller touring screen, more to spare my ears than anything.

I ducked low over the tank and enjoyed the silence. I'd like to make that persistant while sitting upright, even at the cost of looks. I bought it for function, not show, though I do like how it looks! (It's still show room clean with a scant 3K miles on it.)

Saving my ears is more important than the bike's looks, so if you or someone wants to swap a tall touring screen (hopefully that uses the sport brackets) in new condition, well, PM me.
2003 R1150R
2007 DL650 "weeStrom"
Roy1150R
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 1133

Post by Roy1150R »

For what it's worth, here is a picture of mine. As far as wind noise, it is as loud as a Motorhead show. Good thing I like Motorhead. Crouching behind this one makes little difference, as there is so much wind coming from below. At speeds over 120kph, the buffeting is like a wrestling match. I am not a very good wrestler. The one reason I will keep it is the excellent protection it offers from all sorts of projectiles.

2002 R1150R
vitaminC
Donating Member #: 1085

Post by vitaminC »

SteveJJ wrote:
Saving my ears is more important than the bike's looks, so if you or someone wants to swap a tall touring screen (hopefully that uses the sport brackets) in new condition, well, PM me.
Are you wearing ear plugs? That will make a bigger difference than any screen.

Actually, I get the quietest, cleanest air without any screen. I've got both the Sport and the Touring, and for now I am sticking with naked. For me, it's almost painful to ride with the Touring screen because the buffeting is do severe. Once it cools off, I may go back to the Sport.
2004 R1150R
ldeijkva
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by ldeijkva »

todehnal wrote:Hey ldeijkva,

I love the look of your shield. I went on a search and found the part number for one in smoke, but I couldn't find anything in the USA in clear, like yours. I think that I would prefer clear; your thoughts? You wouldn't happen to have a BMW part number would you? The smoke kit is available here and the part number is 71 60 7666 294. I hate to be picky, but at over $300 US, I would like to have what I want. Still on the hunt, but yours has top billing so far..............Tom
Same here, I don't see clear or smoke mentioned on OEM parts, it just says speedster screen.
Way to expensive if you ask me. I saw a used "new" one on a dutch site last week, 40 Euro. I could try to get it for you if you want.
Even with shipping it would still save 200 dollars.
todehnal
Basic User

Post by todehnal »

ldeijkva wrote:
todehnal wrote:Hey ldeijkva,

Same here, I don't see clear or smoke mentioned on OEM parts, it just says speedster screen.
Way to expensive if you ask me. I saw a used "new" one on a dutch site last week, 40 Euro. I could try to get it for you if you want.
Even with shipping it would still save 200 dollars.
After a little more digging, it looks like the kit can be ordered in either clear or smoke. I agree, the price is ridiculous! Thanks for your offer to be a relay. I'm sure that something will show up in the US, and will be less of a hassle to get. I'm not is a hurry. The more that I ride, the better I am getting use to the naked bike ride. Next, I want to try ear plugs with my full face shield. I wear an in-the-ear headset when I fly, and really like the noise attenuation that it provides. Should also work well on the bike.

Just wanted to say thanks to all of the respondents to my inquiries. It is simply delightful to have these international chat capabilities. It is a wonderful way to share experiences and knowledge, and I am proud to be a part of it. And, pictures are the topping on the cake.

Tom
2004 R1150R
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

anyone here have a photo of sport screen with laminar lip on it? thoughts on whether it makes a difference?

I think that would be perfect for me. deflect some bug guts perhaps. I like nekkid bikes, buts about to get cold here (sooner than i want it too ugh) and chest protection is nice...even at the cost of buffeting.

I feel like this windscreen chat is a mind numbingly common online conversation amongst us motorcyclists..but heh, thats why I have the innernetz...to fill my brain with gobs of useless data. :) so my apologies.
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
todehnal
Basic User

Post by todehnal »

I tried ear plugs, without a helmet, on a short 40 mile ride yesterday. I didn't like it. Next ride will be with helmet, ear plugs, and a full face shield. I must say that I do like the clean air that comes with riding a naked bike. The jury is still out on a shield, but I do believe that size does matter, and in this case, smaller may be better. :)
2004 R1150R
SteveJJ
Lifer

Post by SteveJJ »

vitaminC wrote: Are you wearing ear plugs? That will make a bigger difference than any screen.

Actually, I get the quietest, cleanest air without any screen. I've got both the Sport and the Touring, and for now I am sticking with naked. For me, it's almost painful to ride with the Touring screen because the buffeting is do severe. Once it cools off, I may go back to the Sport.
Yes, I bought a case of them years back, EAR yellow cylinders of waxy foam. They work good but they mask the engine noise too, and I'd like to get a good imprint on what "new" and "right" sounding is. I took out the plugs and ducked behind the low screen in the quiet air and could hear the engine much better!

I think a lot of the noise is the helmet. If I press on the face shield it seals better and gets quieter. Now that I'm committed to riding as long as I can, I'll look into aerostitch or leathers, and a quiet helmet if one exists.

On your buffeting, I found that on my weestrom the draft from the mirrors was where the headslapping side to side wind was coming from. $15 on Amazon and quick addition of mirror extenders ended the buffeting!. They're out another 2" to the side now and what comes off of them now glances the shoulder but misses my helmet. Maybe feel the wind from them and the path it takes to see where your turbulence comes from.

Seeking Nirvana, The R1150R could get me there perhaps!
2003 R1150R
2007 DL650 "weeStrom"
Sloot
Lifer

Post by Sloot »

I have a Givi A750 on my R1150R and it does a great job of lifting the wind off my torso. It still leaves the wind around my head (which I always find quieter than trying to shield the helmet from the wind - it usually results in buffeting)

Get it colour matched and it looks great. The lines are similar to the bluegrey stripe pattern on the bike.

Google r1150r A750 for some pictures of other bikes with that combination
vitaminC
Donating Member #: 1085

Post by vitaminC »

SteveJJ wrote: On your buffeting, I found that on my weestrom the draft from the mirrors was where the headslapping side to side wind was coming from. $15 on Amazon and quick addition of mirror extenders ended the buffeting!. They're out another 2" to the side now and what comes off of them now glances the shoulder but misses my helmet. Maybe feel the wind from them and the path it takes to see where your turbulence comes from.
Thanks for the input. That's not really an option for me, though, as moving the mirrors out would severely compromise my ability to lane split (legal here in CA :mrgreen: ), and that would be sad. When the cool weather arrives, I'll just make do with the sport shield.
2004 R1150R
GaryS
Basic User

Post by GaryS »

I've had the same problem with my new-to-me 04 with the screen like the one in the photo above from Roy1150r. I installed the Wunderlich deflector to the top and it works beautifully. No, or very little, buffeting. It looks a little dorkey but it does the job. I can ride with an open helmet very comfortably. For long trips I wear earplugs and a full face helmet.
SteveJJ
Lifer

Post by SteveJJ »

I don't know if you have a screen at all, mine came with a short BMW screen that blasts the air and bugs right into my face.

I just returned from a campout in the Black Hills. On the long haul back, I got tired of sitting but didn't want to stop, so I stood on my pegs a while, and was treated to blissful near silence! I didn't have anyplace to safely stow it, so I didn't remove the short smoked BMW screen until I got home yesterday. After washing the bike, I removed the screen and luggage and went for a spin. Same very quiet ride, with the added cooling of breeze on my chest!

I'm heading for Aerostich Very Boring Rally this weekend, and will be on a screenless r1150r, hopefully tolerating the 90's heat that's expected. Probably remove the screen mounts too as they look strange being empty. Once it cools off I'll be looking for a tall screen that keeps the quiet, if such a thing is made.

Let us know what you get and if it satisfies.
2003 R1150R
2007 DL650 "weeStrom"
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

vitaminC wrote:
SteveJJ wrote: On your buffeting, I found that on my weestrom the draft from the mirrors was where the headslapping side to side wind was coming from. $15 on Amazon and quick addition of mirror extenders ended the buffeting!. They're out another 2" to the side now and what comes off of them now glances the shoulder but misses my helmet. Maybe feel the wind from them and the path it takes to see where your turbulence comes from.
Thanks for the input. That's not really an option for me, though, as moving the mirrors out would severely compromise my ability to lane split (legal here in CA :mrgreen: ), and that would be sad. When the cool weather arrives, I'll just make do with the sport shield.
Speaking of lane splitting ... did that with both cases, tent and bag on back over the weekend. Wish it was legal in more states, as it becomes a very addictive way to get through traffic!! I was reticent to do this initially, but after watching a bunch of old farts doing it on HD's ... I just fell in right behind them. Saved me at least 30+ minutes in Santa Barbara's nasty weekend traffic.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
gregor
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by gregor »

I've got a standard (optional) sport screen as seen in the original UK brochure. Sort of a pale blue tint. Much less wind noise than a larger screen but ear plugs are definitely still a good idea.
OK at 80mph or so but the AGV helmet strap starts to strangle me at 100mph and at 110mph could feel I was living on borrowed time.
2002 black 180 degree single spark V twin