stupid dilemma - safety or expediency in summer riding gear

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

egates
Basic User

stupid dilemma - safety or expediency in summer riding gear

Post by egates »

I don't ride much in the summer because I wear shorts most of the time and I won't ride in shorts and running shoes. Sometimes I would just like to hop on the bike to run to the store but it involves changing into jeans and boots and putting on the jacket and its really just much simpler to jump in the car and go.
But I see people all the time just riding around in shorts and flip-flops and t-shirts and I think, well, maybe I should just do that. but I don't.
wncbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: stupid dilemma - safety or expediency in summer riding g

Post by wncbmw »

And a slide down the asphalt doesn't hurt nearly as bad when you only were riding down to the store, right?

We all see those folks. I have also seen the result of asphalt meeting flesh. And emergency room people have told me about the steel brushes they use on road rash to ensure all the dirt and rocks are out of the wound! When I wash the bike and ride it around the neighborhood to dry it, I put on some gear. Sounds like the car is a better option if you don't want to wear the gear.

However, in this day and age, with all the options for cooler mesh riding gear, shorts and sneakers (or sandals!) is foolish. And missing out on riding in the summer seems sort of wrong too!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

I would rather have heat rash than road rash! Dress for the crash, not the ride!
Buckster '03R
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

You can alleviate the summer heat by wearing good hot weather gear: I know I'm only in the UK and so we don't get the heat you get in the Southern states, but I can heartily recommend the BMW Summer trousers as a good example.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
pebmr
Basic User
Donating Member #: 655

Post by pebmr »

Geat a good mesh jacket and that'll take care of the top part. I just spent 5 days out west from the 40's to mid 90's, and with the Olympia Moab mesh jacket without the water/wind proof liner in I was actually cold in the lower 70's-keeping the sun off your skin and having all that air does wonders...
2004 R1150RA
Piedmont Red
rprothero
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 96

Post by rprothero »

Have to say I agree here 5 key components

1 helmet
1 pair of leather/kevlar gloves
1 mesh jacket
1 pair of long pants (jeans or better riding pants)
1 pair of close toed shoes (preferrably riding boots)

This said Ive been guilty of being lazy a few times and agree Im totally taking a chance with my life beyond the dangers that come with riding by itself..Long run its not a good habit to get into as eventually everyone goes down ..either by own fault or cause of others..

Long short Id much prefer sweat on my appendages than glass, rock or worse no appendages at all..
curtis
Basic User

Post by curtis »

I've been riding all summer(when not raining) in the Atlanta area, and always wear jeans and mesh jacket. Only on one occasion did I feel excessively hot, at a prolonged traffic light in the middle of the day with full sun. And I was more concerned with the air cooled boxer than myself. I don't see lightweight gear being to warm to wear by any stretch. However, I do see the appeal of jumping on the bike for a quick trip to the store, and there is that temptation. I agree that the risk it to great for the convenience.
I did take a quick spin around the subdivision last week in gym shorts, tee shirt, and loafers. I felt naked, vulnerable, and will not do it again.
*Just my 2 pence worth.
Ron C
Atlanta, GA

2005 R1150R (Granite Gray)
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

I have a Darien jacket was told it was a year around jacket with vents after a 1 1/2 summers of needless suffering, I bought a Tourmaster mesh jacket for warm weather, $200 well spent. The Darien is a great jacket for two - three seasons here in North Georgia and I still wear it when it rains , vents open.
Approx. 30 years ago was riding a very fast Susuzki , forget what model 3cylinder I think anyway was wearing tee shirt, shorts and flip flops and station wagon pulled across the road in front of me, I was tached out in third gear right before I buried it in the back door of the car ,was able to lay the bike down a split second for impact at least it was mostly on its side at impact, the lady then dragged me and the bike about 35' up her gravel driveway b4 she would stop, this was about 3 blocks from my house, after a great afternoon at the ER picking and scrubbing gravel out of me ( why I was not hurt more than that I don't know I guess someone upstairs was watching over me) I tend to wear the right gear these days.
You never know , a couple of months ago in Tallulah Falls Georgia, a mattress blew out of a truck and hit a H.D. and Him and passenger wound up in the ER with bad road rash and some broken bones.
Ride Safe
Mike
egates
Basic User

Post by egates »

What prompted this post was that I saw a guy ride by my house on a (i think) K1200RS wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops - didn't notice if he had gloves or not - and it struck me as odd to see a BMW rider doing that.
I have nice ventilated gloves and a decent summer jacket - its not mesh but its light cotton reinforced with kevlar and has t-pro armor - its from Brosh.
I just need to stop whining about it and ride.
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

shorts = bad juju

I actually was in a hurry the other day, wife sent me to the store for something(rush, but forgot what), involved 5 minutes of highway.

We had been swimming in the pool all afternoon-it was 92, I still had my swim trunks on, left and forgot...it was horrible. had my helmet though...

I was "one of THOSE guys" for a few minutes. :)

see em all the time. 200 mph sport bike. tank top, knock off oakley style razor blade shades, gym shorts and flip flops lol. you know what I think when I see them? "organ donor"

also, "that guy doesnt have children yet"
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
BoxerSteve
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 879

Post by BoxerSteve »

I've ridden without a helmet a few times on short rides, dunno how the Harley guys do it. The wind blast is deafening without a helmet, even with earplugs. Not to mention the bugs & rocks & general road debris hitting you in the face. Even more fun if it rains. Man those Harley guys must be tough.

But I have never ridden in shorts. Not that blue jeans really give much more protection than shorts! Even the Harley guys know better than to ride in shorts.
peels wrote:see em all the time. 200 mph sport bike. tank top, knock off oakley style razor blade shades, gym shorts and flip flops lol. you know what I think when I see them? "organ donor"
Or candidates for the Darwin Award.

A lot of scooter people take the safety gear pretty lightly too.
hank
Basic User

Post by hank »

Some gear is better than no gear at all. When I lived abroad, I was that idiot doing 130 mph on a sports bike wearing shorts, t shirt, and no helmet, and yeah it feels great. But, I saw too many dead bodies lying on the road, boys and girls who would still be here today if they had only worn a helmet. I have held my buddies hands and heard the screams when the medics scrubbed the gravel from thier flesh. No matter how hot it is wear some gear, and live to tell the tale.
I'm a rollin stone all alone and lost...............
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

I'm just getting back on my bike after a 3 yr hiatus. (un-willing I might add) I've never ridden in shorts or no helmet but I will admit to owning and using a Shoei trooper style helmet that I use on really hot days. I always rode wearing boots (my employer paid for our work boots but they also required steel-toe) but they didn't care about what style so I generally got the pull on style-no laces. I worked and rode using those. (3 years ago)

Fast forward to today. I have several pair of steel toe boots in excellent condition, one pair is brand new still in the box. But as a result of the nerve damage I sustained in my illness (which is primarily now in my feet) I can't stand to wear the steel toe boots. I started riding again about 3 or 4 weeks ago. I've been riding in Nike athletic shoes because it has been all I could stand to have on my feet. I just bought a new pair of conventional toe boots and I'm trying to get used to them.

I broke my left leg when I dumped my '04 R back in 01/08, compound fracture of both the tibia and fibula. I was wearing those boots. Not sure that any type of boot could have prevented that. I'm slowly working my way back to proper boots but I'll still be wearing the softer tennis style for a bit yet. I do the best I can, but I'm going to ride.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint