Yet another tire thread

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

rprothero
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 96

Yet another tire thread

Post by rprothero »

Ok guys and Gals -

Its 2013 time to replace the lizards ...Last set I had were Metzlers but wondering if anyone has recently replaced a set and having good results. I commute on my girl (20-30 miles) so not a whole lot of twisties but would like to get another set similar to the Metzlers Z6..I was looking at the Z8's but they have a new set called ME 888 Ultra's...Anyone use these on their R
Martyn
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Yet another tire thread

Post by Martyn »

rprothero wrote:Ok guys and Gals -

Its 2013 time to replace the lizards ...Last set I had were Metzlers but wondering if anyone has recently replaced a set and having good results. I commute on my girl (20-30 miles) so not a whole lot of twisties but would like to get another set similar to the Metzlers Z6..I was looking at the Z8's but they have a new set called ME 888 Ultra's...Anyone use these on their R
You could get five replies, & five different recommendations. I could recommend three major brands, all better than good, but all I will say is "All the major brands will provide you with a good tyre".
Trawl a few websites, not least this one, but only you can decide.
Martyn Hillier, Cheltenham, UK.
1979 R100RT, 2013 R1200RT, 2014 R1200R & 2016 R1200RT Iconic.
pebmr
Basic User
Donating Member #: 655

Post by pebmr »

I'm approaching 18,000 miles on my Michelin PR2's, and they still have grooves and aren't badly squared off. Mainly commuting miles 75 miles/day. Nice tires, I have a new pair from last year but I can't bring myself to take these off when they still have life... My previous tires were Metzeler Z6's which came on the bike at 8,000 miles and I put another 13,000 on them. I now think they were probably original tires. They were badly squared off and I rode them till the cords came thru [-X
2004 R1150RA
Piedmont Red
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

pebmr wrote:I'm approaching 18,000 miles on my Michelin PR2's, and they still have grooves and aren't badly squared off. Mainly commuting miles 75 miles/day. Nice tires, I have a new pair from last year but I can't bring myself to take these off when they still have life... My previous tires were Metzeler Z6's which came on the bike at 8,000 miles and I put another 13,000 on them. I now think they were probably original tires. They were badly squared off and I rode them till the cords came thru [-X
18K? That's incredible! I've never come anywhere near 18K on one set of tires. I think the most I've ever seen was maybe 12K on the front and 10 or so on the rear. I'm not an aggressive rider either (too old and bones don't heal quickly any more).
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
BoxerSteve
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 879

Post by BoxerSteve »

Indeed, I'm lucky to get 8K out of a set of tires. 18K? Geez, can't imagine that. And the handling has deteriorated long before the tires are completely worn. It's always amazing how much better a bike feels with new tires.
bransan
Lifer

Post by bransan »

pebmr wrote:I'm approaching 18,000 miles on my Michelin PR2's, and they still have grooves and aren't badly squared off. Mainly commuting miles 75 miles/day. Nice tires, I have a new pair from last year but I can't bring myself to take these off when they still have life... My previous tires were Metzeler Z6's which came on the bike at 8,000 miles and I put another 13,000 on them. I now think they were probably original tires. They were badly squared off and I rode them till the cords came thru [-X
I have never met anyone who got more than 10k mi. out of a back tire. You must be talking about the front tire. I average 7,000mi out of My rear tire. I have tried many brands over the years, and they all have some good and bad points. I am currently running Pirelli angel's front and back, 6500 on the rear and it's looking like it won't be long before it needs a change. Everybody on here knows that 18 or 13 k mi. on a rear tire is impossible. Not calling You a liar, but maybe you added wrong?
Keep Your Stick On the Ice.
Listen to Me at kaxe.org
garr2
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 781

Post by garr2 »

Everybody on here knows that 18 or 13 k mi. on a rear tire is impossible.
So that makes me an incompetent mathematician as well.

Ian
60% of the art of conversation is knowing when to say nothing
rprothero
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 96

Post by rprothero »

Maybe it was kilometers ;-)
garr2
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 781

Post by garr2 »

Garr2
So that makes me an incompetent mathematician
Ooops

pebmr
I'm approaching 18,000 miles .....
My reading's not that good either.
The 18000 I got was kms not ms

Ian
60% of the art of conversation is knowing when to say nothing
towerworker
Lifer
Donating Member #: 575

Post by towerworker »

Currently my biggest problem is that my rememberer doesn't remember like it used to. My math isn't all that great either but my handsomeness and humility make up for it.
The Older I Get, The Less I know. (in honor of MikeCam
'05 RT
'04 R
'03 R
CB750
KZ750
HD 350 Sprint
pebmr
Basic User

Post by pebmr »

OK, although I have designed roadways in Metric when MN tried to force that upon us, I am now in the US English system.

I did the math in my head, but here you go: I changed out both the front and rear tire with new Michelin Pilot Road 2's about 3 years ago when the mileage on my R was about 21,000 Miles. The bike now is about to hit 39,000 Miles. Both the front and rear still have good looking grooves in them, tires aren't badly squared off, so as I said I'm still running them and the replacment PR2's are sitting in the garage for about a year now since I thought I would have had to change these things out by now.

I know most say they only get around 10,000 miles, but my first set on this bike was similar but as I said the Metzler Z6's were badly squared off and I rode them down to the reinforcing (not recommended). When I put the PR2's on, it was a huge difference in feel and they just easily rolled from side to side. Even after all these miles, they still feel very good, and based on my experience I highly recommend them over the Z6's.

BTW, bike is mostly used for commuting on pavement 75 miles a day, but they do have a few hundred miles of gravel road on them as well. And, I'm only about a Buck-Thirty-Five when in good summer shape :D

Here are photos I just snapped:
2004 R1150RA
Piedmont Red
bransan
Lifer

Post by bransan »

They look like 2 different tires to me. I believe You can get that kind of mileage out of a front tire. But in the 40 years I've been riding, I have never heard of any rears going that far. I always get 2 rear tires to 1 front. Maybe you forgot that you changed the rear last year? 58k on My 04' RR and I just looked at My maintenance log and I'm on the 7th rear tire.
Keep Your Stick On the Ice.
Listen to Me at kaxe.org
Sloot
Lifer

Post by Sloot »

I loved my Metzler Z6s (that came on the bike when I bought it) and I got Z8s when they needed replacement.

I hated them and took them off after a couple of months.

I found the rubber wasn't sticky enough and was sliding around too much when I was on the throttle.

(my opinion)
sstein
Donating Member #: 25

Post by sstein »

If I could sort of hijack this a bit, although still quite relevant to the topic -
I am going to take my bike in to get new Michelin PR3's put on (that's what the dealer stocks), definitely the back, maybe the front. The dealer quoted me $270 for the rear tire, and $217 for the front, plus $75 per tire to mount and balance. Does that sound reasonable? Should I be ordering the tires from an on-line site and bringing them with me? They are listed for lower prices on line.
If so, there are multiple options listed for tire size. What are the sizes I need for my 02 R1150R?
Is this something that the beginner wrencher should be trying at home?

BTW pebmr's pic of the rear tire looks pretty worn to me. Mine is not at that point yet.

Thanks.
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother
pebmr
Basic User

Post by pebmr »

I'm no expert, and changing tires is maybe not for everyone, but I did change mine myself because it was something I thought I should experience. Lot's of help online available, and some technique involved (ie. don't fight the tire getting it on and off the rim..). I was in no hurry, and it took me part of two days to do it carefully. I took a break when it was not going well. Need to have a good way to break the bead, and a compressor that can pump air quick into the tire to seat the bead-I ended up going to the local home store and got a different fitting that had a big hole for more air and had to bounce it on the ground while putting air in-but what a beautiful sound when it seats! I fully expect much less time next effort :D I bought hand tire irons and a parnes balancer for around $100, PR2 tires from Motorcycle Superstore were $266 shipped, so about $375 total including tools for next time.

P.S. My PR2's might look worn, but they're not even down to the wear bars yet... The previous Z6 was way worse.
2004 R1150RA
Piedmont Red
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

I am ordering a pr3 front tire from cycle gear $156.99 + $5 s&h from amazon at static balancer $30 and a 3 tool tire set approx $25 its took less than a hour to remove back wheel and replace tire w/help from neighbor . I used a 2 by 6 and 2 by 4 to pop the bead cost of bead breaker scrap wood and it was very easy with help I will use a old door hinge next time to hold the 2 by 4 vertical which is pushed down on the sidewall , I also will use 3/4" rubberized conduit sliced for wheel protectors think it will protect better than most at least for my wheels and I just happen to have some :D the static balancer does not have stand for me it will be easier to store and with a couple of milk crates same size and a level spot its a simple way to balance wheels and tires.
I will be able balance the rear as well although it seems to ride smoother than the last tire. Two friends will be coming over to change some tires and we can compare various tools and methods on diff. wheels . Have fun shopping
Mike
fpgirard
Lifer

Post by fpgirard »

Good hijack. Learn how to take off and re-install your own wheels. Better to do this for the first time in the comfort of your own shop/garage than on the road. If you ride a lot, you know that day will come.

Better yet, use tools that you carry on your bike to the job.

Next - go to bikebandit, http://www.jcmotors.com/, or http://www.motosport.com/ to get your tires. My latest pricing was about $288 with 1-5 day shipping.

Take off your wheels, bring them to a decent shop with a decent tire changer. Here in DC, Beemer Uber Alles charges me $25 per wheel, balanced, new valves. George is AWESOME and I highly recommend him.

Then go home and with the money you saved, buy a nice 1/2" torque wrench and re-install your wheels and you will have the knowledge and confidence to know that your wheels were installed correctly.
2003 R1150R
1995 K75 (sold)
Grey Thumper
Basic User

Post by Grey Thumper »

On Metz Z6s now and I'm due for a change soon. I'm waiting for the Pirelli Angel GTs, been hearing good things about them.
Edition 80 #1803

They can't hit you if you're not there.
captaincable
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1050

Post by captaincable »

I got the front PR3 120/70/17 from motorcycle superstore for $143 free shipping and noticed yesterday they are still having a sale.
Mike
sstein
Donating Member #: 25

Post by sstein »

Thanks for the responses. After watching a few youtube videos, I am empowered to try the tire change at home. Once again, this forum proves to be good for me, bad for the dealer.
2002 R1150R
"Better is the enemy of good enough"
- my brother-in-law's brother