R1200 Water Cooled

Ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the new 2015 r12r lc. R1200RS info goes in here too!

Moderator: Moderators

MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Re: 2015 R1200R Water Boxer

Post by MTBeemer »

Doddering???? I wish I could still dodder.

I think the discontinuation of the telelever has to do with the engineering complexity of adding it to the water cooled bikes and that means $$$$. Maybe it is a test and soon we'll see it removed from other models as well. I'm certain BMW will be forthright in telling us their rationale for the change. Just think, now R12R riders can set-up their front suspension super-soft so that under hard braking the rear end gets light enough so the rider can slide it when doddering into corners.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
Acpantera
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Acpantera »

It's bad that the telelever is gone, and to top it off, they give you a non adjustable off the shelf fork. Looks like it's going to need a really long fender extender to keep the crud off the engine too. Luggage mounts got ugly also. No center stand? Gained weight? 15hp gain is not a good trade for all that is missing.
ASK WHY
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

Scooterme may be on to something about why they kept the telelever on the GS and RT. When Nate Kern was at the local dealership, he said he loved it when he was racing the Boxer Cup, so there is that.

That said, I don't really get fork dive on my other bike, and I do some pretty hard braking on it. Linked brakes probably help a lot too. The telelever is also extra weight they may have been struggling with.

I think it is more of an issue of looks since they seem to be targeting a younger crowd with the new models. The suspension that came on my R1200R was not all that great, and the upgrade I bought from The Beemer Shop made a surprisingly big difference. Looks like I might be going back to Ted for new shocks if I ever upgrade to a water boxer roadster or RS, but that won't be until they get a couple model years in and work out the bugs. My 2008 will last for a while still.
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

I like it.

but as said in another thread...

so, its water cooled..has parts bin suspension, and looks like a Japanese bike. What makes it special (read: odd) enough to be BMW now?

not much.

I will NOT argue its a bad bike though. Unless it comes out and people have mad troubles....then I will lol

and thanks Deilenberger for the laugh:

BMW has been pandering more and more to the moto-journalists. First the step back to single-switch turnsignals, now telelever. First thing you know they'll be making bikes with more than 2 cylinders and with chains..

exactly.

:lol:

EDIT!!!!! i had not seen the blue version when I posted this.

telelever or no....I want it. :)

http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/ ... ry_130.jpg
2002 R1150R. Helmets save more lives than loud pipes.
atractaspis
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 1059

new R1200R in 170 pictures

Post by atractaspis »

yes I am going a little crazy and obsessing about the new R.. I want to see more of it.. seems to have everything I thought it would..although no info on cruise control..so I guess not.. which is ok with me.. don't want to be even more tempted than I already am to think about a new R when I just bought mine last year...

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2015- ... 87193.html
Basic User

Re: new R1200R in 170 pictures

Post by peels »

Ive changed my mind. I like it more now. Though still, I am sticking to my "what makes it a bmw?" statement.

I hadn't seen the blue version yet. I want to see this with a shield and bags. :)

http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/ ... ry_130.jpg
scooterme

Post by scooterme »

atractaspis wrote:..although no info on cruise control..so I guess not.. which is ok with me.. don't want to be even more tempted
Sorry to do it to ya, but there is cruise control. If you look at the picture of the left handlebar switchgear closeup, the one with the Wonder Wheel, you can see the cruise control switch is on there. :twisted:
ImageImage
atractaspis
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 1059

Post by atractaspis »

scooterme wrote:
atractaspis wrote:..although no info on cruise control..so I guess not.. which is ok with me.. don't want to be even more tempted
Sorry to do it to ya, but there is cruise control. If you look at the picture of the left handlebar switchgear closeup, the one with the Wonder Wheel, you can see the cruise control switch is on there. :twisted:
you are evil. :twisted: .but correct :biggrin:
found an image with it actually showing the cruise control nice and big :

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2015- ... l#agal_149
Donating Member #: 998

Post by Catchina »

I see the turn signals are different, single control for right left and cancel.
2011 R1200R RED
1996 Virago XV 750
SteveK
Basic User

Post by SteveK »

It looks pretty sharp in white.
Grey Thumper
Basic User

Post by Grey Thumper »

Maybe the two water-head boxer threads can be combined.

I find the styling a bit disappointing. It's not bad, just "me too". Like it's trying to compete against the superduke, tuono, speed triple, Z1000, etc. Granted, the air-cooled version could've looked more exciting, but it does look like an elegant, comfortable, versatile "naked sport tourer". I think they're trying to make the liquid-cooled roadster look like something it isn't.
Edition 80 #1803

They can't hit you if you're not there.
scooterme

Post by scooterme »

The white does look good. I'm not sure about the giant R on the tank, but I like the fairing lowers. I'm sure they offer nothing to the performance and are in essence just another piece of expensive plastic to break and replace, but the look is hot.
ImageImage
lcarlson

Re: R1200 Water Cooled

Post by lcarlson »

I like the looks of both the R and the RS (the latter of which was totally unexpected at least by me, and which should probably get it's own page now), but would like some other color options. Oh well. At least we finally know the fate of the telelever.
Lawrence Carlson
Redding, CT

2002 R1150R (sold)
2016 BMW F700GS
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
peels
Basic User

Post by peels »

Grey Thumper wrote:Maybe the two water-head boxer threads can be combined.

I find the styling a bit disappointing. It's not bad, just "me too". Like it's trying to compete against the superduke, tuono, speed triple, Z1000, etc. Granted, the air-cooled version could've looked more exciting, but it does look like an elegant, comfortable, versatile "naked sport tourer". I think they're trying to make the liquid-cooled roadster look like something it isn't.

agreed. I thought it looked like a Z1000 had a bastard child with a ducati monster at first glance. lol

Its growing on me....though I'd still prefer naked roadsters to have the traditional round headlight.

Im really diggin the RS.
yjleesvrr

Post by yjleesvrr »

I used to own an '02 R1150R and now ride a '14 RT. I can tell you the Wasserboxer is a huge leap forward compared to the R259 oilhead that powered my R. The very same engine in a lighter Roadster is going to give the '15 R tremendous acceleration. The 620 lbs. RT already does the 1/4 mile right around 11 seconds. The R being 100 lbs. lighter may crack the 10 sec. range. I agree that the loss of the telelever front on the R is a negative given that on real roads the traditional BMW suspension smooths things out where you can glide along at a rapid pace without feeling like you're losing control. BMW is trying to capture a broader audience with their product line now, and even their durability no longer matches their reputation given the complication of electronic controls/features and purported reduction in quality control and questionable changes in maintenance for the sake of ease of ownership. But even with all these factors taken into account, BMW motorcycles still appeal to me more than any other brand. My RT is as comfortable as any car I've driven over hundreds of miles of interstate. The engine sounds great throughout its rev range. I'm looking forward to test riding the '15 R and may consider buying one in a couple years.

In concluding my post, the '15 R appears to be nudging toward the sport end of the spectrum and less an all-rounder. I would say the R and RS are the sport boxer models, the GS the all-rounder, and the GSA and RT the dedicated tourers of the BMW boxer line.
Member #93, June 2002
'14 BMW R1200RT "Wethead"
'77 BMW R100/7 "Airhead"
rclbaker
Basic User

Post by rclbaker »

BMW announced (read om the website of German magazine Das Motorrad) that BMW will continue to make the DOHC oilheads for another two years. =D> No information whether this only relates to the R nine T (which I consider a pretty & useless machine) or any update of my beloved R1200R....

Rob
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Post by Lost Rider »

That white and red one sure would look good with nancy on it, I might want to spend some time on it too...

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/mcn/news/ ... mw-r1200r/

I agree with most things said in here recently, both liking it and not liking some things.
Like it or not, it's "progress" and folks will either grow to love it or have to stay with an older model.

There were very similar comments here when the 1200R was released from all the 1150R owners...

no beak!

oil cooler down low where it will certainly get smashed!

ugly headlight!

no fuse box!

etc etc

While this new WH 1200R isn't much of a difference in weight, like the 12R was compared to the 1150R, the power bump is substantial, it should be a very noticeable performance upgrade. Unlike the move from hex head to cam head.
If they somehow improved handling with the cheap suspension and the motor is smooth then it would be a nice upgrade for those with aging 1200's, cruise control certainly would be nice for long trips...

Get Lost!
Steve H.
Basic User

Post by Steve H. »

Yes,Lost Rider it depend of point of view. Certenly of point of age.Closing to 65,I prefer to stay with my 2012 R1200R.Am I conservative?? Yes.For younger bikers...GO FOR IT.Pay almost double of price,and still going to ride something similar to Japanis bikes.The BMW boxers lost their imige with water cooled engine.There are inline 4&6 BMW's watercooled.In oncoming years,BMW will be sory,F...up their boxer (R1200R)lineup.I do not like to predict,but ...will see.My opinion is:no need for that.IF it comes to change my motorcycle(positively not)and I would like to have more power,I would go for KAWA,HONDA,SUZUKI,YAMAHA;IE:more power,a lot lower price. :smt051 BMW did some mistakes years back,and probably going to do the same again....never learning????Who is driving expensive bikes?...Older guys.Do they need high performance boxer BMWs???I don't think so.If you want to drive an expencive bike Vulcan is just for you.It is HEAVY.Lot of iron for big money.Well,we are different thinking differently.You know what guys???I have mine 2012 R1200R and I do not care abouth anityng else.
scooterme

Post by scooterme »

Looks like prices are coming out, at least at the dealer in Europe mentioned here.
ImageImage
SL
Basic User

Post by SL »

I am guessing that Parabellum Scout Fairing will not work on this model , for one thing , the head light is in a very different place than the previous ones