New Rockster - Tyres

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

FLESH
Basic User

New Rockster - Tyres

Post by FLESH »

After many years of debating if I should move into the BMW fold I have finally done it and bought a Rockster.
First impressions.....bigger than I thought :lol:, and does soak up the numerous Scottish potholes.

Original plan was to get hold of an 80th Edition but none have come if in my area that i fancied so bought a 2003 copper coloured one instead.
My first "unfaired" bike since an XJR1300 10 years ago so this will be a strange experience for me :-k
I usually use a FZ1 Fazer for my 30 mile commute and, although I still have the Fazer, the Rockster will now become my main communting bike (I hope)

So far bike is standard except for a Remus end can so will be looking to add a few sensible mods over the next few months.

First up is tyres. It currently has Metzeler M5's but these are pretty shot, and I have never been a fan anyway.

Now I know tyre advice is pretty subjective and based on opinion but opinion is sometimes good so anyone got any tyre recommendations? (trying to keep the costs down so RP 3, BT023 or Roadsmart 2 are all out :oops: )
Anyone any experience of the Michelin Road Pilots (the first ones) as I have seen a set going cheap?
Duc750
Basic User

Re: New Rockster - Tyres

Post by Duc750 »

Conti road attacks I find are great tyres but for all round use the avon storm 2 takes some beating.
The maxxis tyres are also supposed to be pretty good too
FLESH
Basic User

Post by FLESH »

Had Avon Storms on my CB1300 and just could not get on with them at all. Fancied the RP3 but at £270 fitted tey are a turn off.
Been offered RP1 for £150 fitted which seems a bargin
timl
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by timl »

Congratulations on your Rockster.

I put on a set of RP1's in April as they were a good price. So far after 4500 miles I'm still happy with them. It's too soon to tell how long they will last, but I'm tempted to pick up a second pair for my next tire set. I've always used Conti Road Attacks in the past, but the price difference was too much to pass up.
2004 Rockster
pietervn
Basic User

Post by pietervn »

G'Day

>>Anyone any experience of the Michelin Road Pilots (the first ones) as I have seen a set going cheap?

I am on my second set of PR on my Roadster. I have a RP3 in front and RP2 on the rear. I don't have any experience with the first ones. First set did 18,500 kms (probably could get 20,000 kms out of them) and the second has just gone passed the 10,000 km mark. I love the feel of them and they are GREAT in the wet.

Cheers,

Pete
'02 Yellow R1150R
'02 R1150GSA
Buckster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 543

Post by Buckster »

I have used them in the past as the bike had a set when I bought it. I think they are really good tires although I will probably be sticking with the PR3's from this point on. I haven't worn through the PR3 yet, but I like the dual compound better than the single compound PR1. If you can check the date code on those "cheap" PR1, I would, as someone may be giving you a "deal" on a set of tires whose rubber might be pretty old.
Buckster '03R
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Pirelli Diablo STRADA, or Angel STRADA, Metzeler Z6 (pretty much the same tyres) are all good.

As you say, it pretty much depends on what you prefer personally, but whatever the tyres - get the "Sport-Touring" version, they're the ones that are built with the kind of riding the Rockster is best for in mind (ie normal roads, all weathers).

I've had 2 sets of the Conti Road attacks, and although they're lower cost, they last about half the mileage of the Metz/Pirellis.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
FLESH
Basic User

Post by FLESH »

Cheers for the comments.
Suspect, as Buckster has commented, that the date code on the cheap PR1's will mean they are old so i will be avoiding them.

So far had the following quotes (not including fitting which is another £30):

Michelin PR2: £225
Michelin Pr3: £265
Bridgestone BT023: £250
Pirelli Angel: £210

Tyres are bloody expensive :cry
rockstercliff

Post by rockstercliff »

I have the Pirelli Angels on now, not outstanding in any one area, but pretty good in every way, and less expensive that the Metz's.
timl
Basic User

Post by timl »

I checked the date codes on the two PR1 tires I bought in April 2012. The front was 4309 and the rear was 3310, so the oldest was 2 1/2 years old when installed. The tires now have gone 4500 miles and will be worn out and in need of replacement by the time they are 4 years old.

I think they were a good value and I would buy them again.
2004 Rockster
Boxerpunk
Basic User

Post by Boxerpunk »

I loved the Roadsmart 1, now have a "new" Rockster with BT021 fitted; hate them, especially in cold , wet weather.
Greetz, Erwin

2003 Rockster Full Black
grwrockster
Lifer

Post by grwrockster »

I've tried the....
Bridgestones (on when I got the bike. Ok but too expensive)
Mich PR2 (last well, but I could never quite get on with the feel or lack thereof on the front)
Maxxis (very good feel actually, and the front lasts well and feels fine, but the rear wore out way too fast). Haven't tried the Diamonds, these were the earlier ones btw.
Pirelli Diablo Strada (liked them and lasted ok, would use again)
Avon Storm Utra 2 (decent life and performance, and suited the bike ok)
Metzeler Z6 (decent life and performance, the ones I seem to prefer so far, though its marginal against Strada's & Avons)

Haven't tried Pirelli Angels yet (like the PR3, Bridgestones and Metz Z8's they are too expensive and aren't worth the extra over my fave's while still available IMO), but they'd probably be fine.
Lob
Basic User

Post by Lob »

mine came IIRC with BT012 or BT021 but I did not like them. On my second set of MEZ6 tyres now, excellent grip and durability.