new rockster owner

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

ShawnL
Basic User

new rockster owner

Post by ShawnL »

Hey guys I just picked up a nice low mileage 2005 rockster, it had 1078 miles on it when i got it. I love the bike so far, everything seems to be good on it, I did have to replace the starter.

I'm interested in some sort of luggage rack to start off with, I dont think I need a hard box on the back , anyone have any of the luggage hooks? or maybe a luggae tray?

another think I would like to find is a short windscreen.

thanks guys I know im new to the site but there is tons of info and great advice on here....
shards
Basic User

Re: new rockster owner

Post by shards »

My luggage requirements are simple so I just use a Ventura seatbag. The base just remains on the pillion seat all the time and the bag clips on when needed. You can see it here... http://www.ventura-bike.com/products/seatbag.aspx .

If you want more substantial (and expensive) stuff they have this... http://www.ventura-bike.com/fitments.aspx?modelid=55

There are many others, I just like this because it's simple (and made here in NZ).

Steve
ShawnL
Basic User

Post by ShawnL »

I dont have the rear riders seat, mine has the plastic faux aluminum tray. I could put my lunch box there if I had the luggage hooks... any idae what other bike the hooks fit?
shards
Basic User

Post by shards »

You don't need any hooks, the "pad" straps onto either the pillion seat or the plastic "faux seat". The bag clips onto the pad (4 clips). My friend had one exactly like it on his Rockster (with the plastic pad) for many years. I currently have one attached to the rear seat on my Rockster. If you can't quite see what I'm talking about, send me your email address and I'll take some pics of mine.
riceburner
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by riceburner »

Welcome!

Where abouts on the planet are you, and where the hell did you find yet another Rockster with such LOW mileage! :!: :!:

I have a variety of luggage options I've built up over the years, the OE silver rack works pretty well, and the best small screen is an old visor. ;)
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
grwrockster
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by grwrockster »

Hi.

I have one of those luggage tray things that goes in place of the passenger seat in my loft somewhere - never used it. TBH I could not really see the point of the tray when you can bungee tailpacks or drysacks onto the passenger seat just as easily and retain the option to bung a person on there instead as well :lol: . But in theory the load would sit slightly lower, and plenty seem to like the look with it fitted.

I bought my bike with the pannier side-rails and a Givi rack and Top-box fitted (always avoided top-boxes till I got one by default - I soon got past the BOF looks once I realised how convenient & handy it is). My gf likes it as a back-rest and provides her with a feeling of greater safety as well, so it gets used quite a lot (I just don't put too much weight in it as its the wrong place for the handling).

I do have the BMW side boxes as well after picking a set up used - but before I got those I used a Hein Gericke roll-top dry-bag on the rear seat (cheap, weatherproof and simple), and Oxford Lifetime soft pannier set for trips which worked well too. I've also used an Oxford tailpack which was ok as long as you didn't want to carry too much, as well as various tankbags.

A small flyscreen that looks good is in short supply for the Rockster, but I do know of a couple....
Riceburner above has one solution (and definitely the cheapest!), but if you want to buy one rather than make something then a US Company makes the 'Laminar Lip' for the Rockster (http://www.laminarlip.com/rockster.php) which is not too pricey, well-made and looks good fitted. I have one in the shed which I used for a while, but once I fitted higher GS handlebars I changed it for something a bit bigger (currently another US-made screen, a more universal type National Cycles Street Shield, modified with an additional adjustable spoiler).
There also some MRA 'Vario' universal type screens with handlebar mounting kits (http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Screens ... Bikes.html) that look and work ok on the Rockster (I've one of those too - the VTNB one) - like a lot of screens they aren't exactly cheap though.