Should I Sell or Store?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Radar in oz
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Should I Sell or Store?

Post by Radar in oz »

I'm moving to Sweden (from Sydney) for about a year and am in a quandry about what to do with my R1200R. I am reluctant to store it for that period of time, as I have ridden bikes after they have been stored, and suffered issues like perished master cylinder seals and other bits and pieces that don't like being left unused. Does anyone have any tips for a way to do it successfully (apart from what is written in the manual)?

Cheers
Peter
omg1010
Basic User

Re: Should I Sell or Store?

Post by omg1010 »

Hi Peter,

I believe your 1200r should not suffer during that time. Just spray some silicone on any rubber parts, fill the tank, pack your bike in a sealed bag with some desiccator (there are such sealed bags available with an anti-corrosive coating inside).

Brgds
Oliver
hjsbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 711

Post by hjsbmw »

I've heard a good number of cases of leaking engine and transmission seals which are said to be exacerbated by drying out due to long periods of non-use. Whether selling is better and whether you'd lose more money by selling or by having to replace seals, I don't know. Do you have a buddy who could take the bike out of storage once a month and give it a good ride? Would you feel comfortable with that?
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
Woland
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Woland »

I'd take it as an excuse to sell and then buy something newer and better when you get back. You'll need to treat yourself to something once you've suffered through a Swedish winter ;)
Radar in oz
Lifer

Post by Radar in oz »

hjsbmw wrote:I've heard a good number of cases of leaking engine and transmission seals which are said to be exacerbated by drying out due to long periods of non-use. Whether selling is better and whether you'd lose more money by selling or by having to replace seals, I don't know. Do you have a buddy who could take the bike out of storage once a month and give it a good ride? Would you feel comfortable with that?
This is a potential option, but it also entails additional costs to keep it registered/insured etc. I do have a friend who can store and ride it, but I suspect it will be ridden very infrequently in practice.
Cheers
Peter
Radar in oz
Lifer

Post by Radar in oz »

Woland wrote:I'd take it as an excuse to sell and then buy something newer and better when you get back. You'll need to treat yourself to something once you've suffered through a Swedish winter ;)
"Tak" for that advice. You are doubly correct, as it will be two Swedish winters!
Peter
qfman
Lifer

Post by qfman »

Radar -

Where in Sverige? Stockholm or Goteborg? I've been to Goteborg for work a few times and .....the winters are long.

it will cost you a grand to keep it a year and at least $500 in depreciation so if you get your price you might as well sell. If you cant sell you are welcome to park it in the street outside my house in Mosman and I'll ride it to work twice a week. Mine is an 07 Crystal Grey. I'm a bit spoilt for choice with mu R12R and my new Toyota 86 but I'm sure we can keep your seals oiled......

Tom
Radar in oz
Lifer

Post by Radar in oz »

Thanks for the offer Tom, I'm sure you have a nice street to park it in, but it is probably not my best option. In Sweden, we will be living in Linkoping.
Cheers
Peter
uncle BS
Basic User

Post by uncle BS »

sell it if u can find a fish....................