Air Intake In Wet Weather

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

fleuger99
Basic User

Air Intake In Wet Weather

Post by fleuger99 »

On July 13th a friend and I are heading up to Toronto Canada for a week to hang out in the city (I went to university there) and also do a two day trip up North to and along the Trans Canada Highway. Total trip is estimated at around 2200 miles.

I've not ridden my bike for long periods of heavy rain and I was wondering how the air intake to the right of the engine handles ingesting water when riding in heavy rain. Sorry for not adding a pic but it looks like a black plastic tube with a good size opening right in the front of it. Any one had an issues with this in heavy or prolonged rain riding?

Thanks,

Craig
2012 R1200R | Grey Matt | Safety Pkg | TPMS | On Board Computer | Luggage Rack | VStream Shield
Woland
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Re: Air Intake In Wet Weather

Post by Woland »

Nope, I live on the west coast of Sweden where rain is an all to common occurrence but I've never noticed it being a problem at all. That includes riding it in REALLY heavy rain for hours.
r1200rclassic
Basic User

Post by r1200rclassic »

I was more worried about exposed electrical connectors and non-corrosion resistant fasteners in rain, so I just sprayed some silicone spray on those areas and I guess I"ll just reapply once a month or so... does great to displace moisture and prevent corrosion. As for the air intake, I think it's designed to deflect the majority of the water with the way it's shaped.
2012 R12R "Classic" - ESA II, ABS II, ASC, Heated Grips, Computer, Windshield Sport
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

We've ridden 10,000 miles in the past two months. Way too many days of rain; the cool, all day, soaking rain common to British Columbia, The Yukon and Alaska. No water related issues except for the ocassional rivlet of rain running down my back. No need to spray stuff on wires or anything else.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost
Woland
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Woland »

+1. ride more and worry less :) Seriously, time spent worrying is much better spent riding, the R doesn't break unless you abuse it, just ask Lost Rider, he has friends use his shaft drive as a bong :)
fleuger99
Basic User

Post by fleuger99 »

Thanks everyone for the feedback, much appreciated :)
2012 R1200R | Grey Matt | Safety Pkg | TPMS | On Board Computer | Luggage Rack | VStream Shield
r1200rclassic
Basic User

Post by r1200rclassic »

Woland wrote:+1. ride more and worry less :) Seriously, time spent worrying is much better spent riding, the R doesn't break unless you abuse it, just ask Lost Rider, he has friends use his shaft drive as a bong :)
maybe I'm wrong and your bike is brand new also, but for me at least, when I get something new, and expensive; I DO like to worry just a little bit about it... trust me, I have plenty of time left over to ride too.

Over time, that all wears off and I don't worry as much, and you won't likely see me much on this or other forums... cause I'll be riding. ;)
2012 R12R "Classic" - ESA II, ABS II, ASC, Heated Grips, Computer, Windshield Sport
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

I can't believe the makers of the category killer GS doesn't have all the extreme conditions figured out. I would never even think to worry about it. The only thing I worry about in the rain is visibility.
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
MTBeemer
Lifer
Donating Member #: 1043

Post by MTBeemer »

r1200rclassic wrote:
Woland wrote:+1. ride more and worry less :) Seriously, time spent worrying is much better spent riding, the R doesn't break unless you abuse it, just ask Lost Rider, he has friends use his shaft drive as a bong :)
maybe I'm wrong and your bike is brand new also, but for me at least, when I get something new, and expensive; I DO like to worry just a little bit about it... trust me, I have plenty of time left over to ride too.

Over time, that all wears off and I don't worry as much, and you won't likely see me much on this or other forums... cause I'll be riding. ;)
Another view is to find the limits of the bike while it is under warranty. If it has a weak spot, then identify it and let BMW pay for it.
Kevin Huddy
Intrepid Incompetent
Canyon Creek, MT
Team Pterodactyl Montana Outpost