Gas Mileage?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1100R.

Moderator: Moderators

photonphil
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Gas Mileage?

Post by photonphil »

I just got my 1998 R110r. It only has 8900 miles on it and today I checked my gas mileage and it was only 32 mpg. Is this about right or is something amiss?
Thanks in advance.
Phil
CRazyCam
Basic User

Re: Gas Mileage?

Post by CRazyCam »

Hi Phil.

I'd say there is something amiss.

I have a 1998 R850R that uses 5 litres of petrol for 100 kms.

Also, the owner's manual quotes 65.6 miles to the gallon @ a steady56 mph, and 54.3 mpg, @ a steady 75 mph, for the R1100R.
(unspecified size of gallon, US or UK)

Perhaps your bike isn't standard?

Perhaps you ride it flat out everywhere?

First thing I'd check, assuming it's a fairly standard bike is the Cat.Code Plug.

It was a fairly common "go faster" thing to pull out the Cat Code Plug on that model.

For all I know it did result in the bike going faster, but it certainly didn't help fuel economy.

I can't figure out how to upload a picture showing you where to look for the CCP, so you might try a search on Cat Code Plug in the forum.

regards,CrazyCam
photonphil
Basic User

Post by photonphil »

I dont ride it hard at all and the PO was a lady in her late 40s early 50s so I dont think she messed withn the bike at all.
Railbender
Lifer
Donating Member #: 689

Post by Railbender »

I get mileage in the upper 30s to mid 40s. First thing I would do is check valve adjustment and throttle body (TB) sync. It wouldn't hurt to run some Chevron Techron for a couple tanks of fuel to clean the TBs, also before doing the TB sync remove the BBSs (Big Brass Screw) from each TB and clean the screw and passage. Worse case someone has messed with the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) on the left TB. Also check to make sure that the throttle cable housing is properly seated in the adjustment screws on the throttle bodies, especially the right side. Normally the bike will run very bad if they are out of place.

Where are you located? It would be nice if people put their location in their profile. If you are in an area with 15% ethanol fuel you may see reduced mileage.
photonphil
Basic User

Post by photonphil »

Thanks Lifer. I'll check those things out. Oh I updated my profile.....my bad
Railbender
Lifer
Donating Member #: 689

Post by Railbender »

Another thought. If you haven't done so check your air filter. It isn't unheard of for a little critter to set up house keeping in an air box.
joelh
Basic User

Post by joelh »

I see a huge swing in my gas mileage depending on city/hwy usage. I am in the low 30's when I use a tank going back and forth to work, but when I get out on the road, my mileage jumps up to the mid 40's
bluer1100r
Basic User

Post by bluer1100r »

I have been getting 42 combined US with my 2000 R1100R with 13,800 miles.
photonphil
Basic User

Post by photonphil »

I removed the Big Brass Screw and found that it was caked with carbon. I cleaned it and the passage with carb cleaner and the bike starts easier now. I put in a new air filter when I first got the bike. Next is Seafoam in the gas and a valve check.
bookman
Basic User

Post by bookman »

Hi Phil, 45 to 48 mpg on my 35,000 mile 1997 1100r here in the UK on mixed roads. Good luck with your tweaking - will you keep us informed of your progress, it's always handy to know the deciding factor(s) to good running.

Regards. Bookman, UK
deanjones1
Basic User

Post by deanjones1 »

i have a 2000 r1100r with 50k, bought in march this year, put on about 5k miles, average 45 mpg, daily use, city and highway combined
joelh
Basic User

Post by joelh »

Ran some Techron gas treatment through the bike and saw a huge increase in gas mileage. My last tank was a bit over 49. I was worried that my gas warning light was malfunctioning. I got to 145 miles and it hadn't come on. I filled up and put in 3 gallons on the nose.
Ton1959
Basic User

Post by Ton1959 »

On the motorway doing 70mph I get close to 47,5mpg. But that is the best I get out of the bike.

Ton