Old biker, new to BMW

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

kwackmad
Basic User

Old biker, new to BMW

Post by kwackmad »

Hi everyone
After more than 35 years of solid biking starting with old triumphs and working my way through early Jap bikes (both 4 and 2 strokes) Into eastern european rubbish (times were hard) back through better Japenese machines and Italian exotica and then the latest generation of Japenese superbikes, I have finally bought my first BMW.
A 2001 R1150R with 20,000 miles, it is a clean well looked after example, I wasn't sure what to expect and at first, I must be honest, was a little dissapointed with the 'lack of power' however torque is good and the ride generally is very easy (lazy??) The more I use it the better it sems to become and I am getting 'in tune' with it now, Handling is stable and predictable, brakes are awesome and the whole thing seems to be generally well though through and very well put together,
Having always been a 'hands on' owner and a reasonable mechanic I intend to do the servicing myself, I assume this is not beyond the abilities of the 'normal' biker?
Any hints or tips? anything I should look out for?
How do I upload photos?

Many thanks
Jerry
Ric
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Old biker, new to BMW

Post by Ric »

Do you still have any 2-stroke road bikes ?
Go here if you're interested in todays 2-strokers: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24433
10 R1200R
09 KLX 250sf
74 H2
77 RD
69 Kawasaki Bushwacker
67 Kawasaki 120SS
65 CB 450 Black Bomber !
Lion_Lady
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Lion_Lady »

Where are you located? (Fill in your profile). You might find a club local to you to check out a tech day, etc.
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

Welcome to the board, kwackmad. You'll find a wealth of information about your bike by searching this forum. Just about any question you have has probably been addressed if not answered. You might start with "cable-ties" since most of these bikes had over-tightnened ones under the headlight that shredded wire insulation in some cases. Easily fixed by cutting, and there is a photo showing which ones.

Routine maintenance (and more) is not difficult and I think it's even enjoyable. Oil changes, valve adjustments, throttle body syncing and brake and clutch fluid flushing only takes a few tools you probably already have like a CarbStix or a Twin-Max, or you can make your own differential manometer from clear tubing.

I have Clymer's manual I use but don't always trust, and a BMW R1150R repair manual on CD that is more trustworthy.

If you have questions, the riders on this forum willingly share their extensive knowledge.

For the long haul, I think you'll find this will be your bike of choice.
Rich
ADIOS!
wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

I do not consider myself very "wrench oriented" but do virtually all the maintenance on my '02 myself. The only exception being getting the ABS brake bleed done by someone used to doing it. Don't think you will have any problems figuring it out. Especially if you kept some of the bikes you mentioned running! :lol:

As to the lack of power, you will find that using that torque will make up for the lack of power at any sane riding on the street. The bike is a different animal at 5 to 7K on the tach and loves to run like that all day. Especially on curvy roads, the high rpms and engine braking makes for fun rides.

As mentioned, this board is a great source of information and people are willing to help.

Welcome!
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
kwackmad
Basic User

Post by kwackmad »

Thanks for the welcome and replies, I have given the bike a good 'shakedown' today and I must say I am quite impressed, My only gripe now is the lack of ground clearence, I find it a bit to easy to ground out on Left hand corners / bends, but otherwise WOW, what a surprising bike.
Ric
Basic User

Post by Ric »

So....I take it you no longer have a 2-stroke.... :shock:
10 R1200R
09 KLX 250sf
74 H2
77 RD
69 Kawasaki Bushwacker
67 Kawasaki 120SS
65 CB 450 Black Bomber !
Soliton

Post by Soliton »

The "WOW what a bike" comment summed it up for me. I have had BMWs all my life and that is almost exactly what I thought after I had been riding it for a while. The more I rode it the more I have really come to think it is a brilliant incredibly understated bike. The whole package of the engine characteristic, the handling and the braking are neatly put together.

It isn't a pocket rocket but it well mannered and incredibly sweet natured to ride, and as one of the previous poster said if you roll on the revs and just use the engine to brake it becomes quite a different machine.

I am just getting in to doing my own work but its not a difficult bike to work on.

The dealer I bought my bike from said..."The other models get the attention, but this is the bike that most deserves it."

Happy riding.
"Better to live rich than die rich."