Road Service USA

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Road Service USA

Post by mogu83 »

Kind of off subject but I'm losing one of my road service providers and was wondering what the best deal was. Any thoughts on this. I usually travel alone and in North America so I'm interested in the best coverage for that area..
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
hjsbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 711

Re: Road Service USA

Post by hjsbmw »

mogu83 wrote:Kind of off subject but I'm losing one of my road service providers and was wondering what the best deal was. Any thoughts on this. I usually travel alone and in North America so I'm interested in the best coverage for that area..
I can't make a good suggestion, but in the light that there are no replies I'll offer the little that comes to mind. My insurance is Progressive, and for an added $8 p.a. they sold me road service. I have never used it, I don't know if it works, and I don't know if they still offer it. Don't know if it's worth it to switch to Progressive just for that.
As far as standalone road service is concerned, AAA had, at least in the past, some kind of upped membership that would add bikes to the usual car towing. Again, I don't know if that still exists or if it is any good.
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
BigEasy
Lifer

Post by BigEasy »

Harry, If you're not opposed to the AMA, and you're just looking for towing coverage, check out their membership auto renewal deal here http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/mem ... assistance

I have had it for the last 5-6 years and used it to get two automobiles and a log splitter towed. It does have a 35 mile free distance limit (12x better than my wifes corporate AAA limit of 3 mi) but I had my pick-up towed 60 miles and the company charged me $0.30/mile IIRC.
Play Harrd and Floor It- Stevie Ray Vaughn
Currently:
07 R1200R
07 XB12STT
10 FLHTP
12 Wee Strom ADV
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

I have the AMA mo-tow package that comes with the yearly automatic renewal. BUT this year I become a Charter Life member (no longer have to pay dues) so if I want to continue the road service I think it will cost $29. Just was wondering what else was out there.
I had the BMW package and it was useless. In 2008 I was 2,000 miles from home with two bent rims, the closest dealer was 300 miles and after leaving me on hold for over half an hour they informed me that they didn't have anyone in the area to tow me, but if I could find some one they would pay for 50 miles.
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

I find it hard to fathom that only two people on this list are aware of ( or have experience with) the road service offered by various organizations. Am I the only one that had to have his Beemer towed to a dealer? Maybe it's just that BMWs are so dependable that a road service policy isn't needed. :-k
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
Sunbeemer
Basic User
Donating Member #: 593

Post by Sunbeemer »

Like hjsbmw mentioned, Progressive offers a nationwide 24/7 towing service for its policy holders in the US for just $8 (or maybe it's $10/year now), and they will come get your bike anywhere with a truck designed to carry motorcycles and take it to the nearest motorcycle shop that can fix your problem. I have it and it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling, but like hjsbmw, have never had to use it :D . Hope I didn't just jinx myself! :-k
Rich
ADIOS!