Handlebars seem off center

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

jmollins
Lifer

Handlebars seem off center

Post by jmollins »

Hello all,
I have been a member for a while and enjoy all the advice given as well as the buy sell and trade section. This is my first post.
I have a 2004 R1150R ABS that I ride daily. I park in the street right outside the restaurant that I work for so I can keep an eye on it. I use the side stand when I park. Someone in an SUV was backing into the spot behind it. The running boards on the SUV hit the front tire as they were backing in. This pushed the tire to the left and knocked my bike over to the right. The bike didn't hit the ground because I was parked close to another car and it just leaned against the parked car. I took the drivers insurance information even though there is not a scratch on my bike.
The issue now, which may only be my imagination, is that the handlebars seem to be off center. It seems that the bars are just a little turned to the left when I'm going in a straight line. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I'd rather not bring it into the dealer just to have them charge to look at it and tell me that I'm imagining it.
Thanks in advance,
Jonny
n.i.paul
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Handlebars seem off center

Post by n.i.paul »

Seems to me that the incident has caused some damage. If it was me I would take it to a dealer and then claim against the suv driver's insurance to recoup costs. That would give me peace of mind.
zbodan
Basic User

Post by zbodan »

Just loosen the allen bolts that clamp your handlebars down and center them...

There is no need to bring in several third-parties, including insurance agencies.

Edit: Do you mean "turned" to the left, or "displaced" to the left?
jmollins
Lifer

Post by jmollins »

I mean turned. It's like I'm making a left turn. It's hardly noticeable.
The Meromorph
Basic User

Post by The Meromorph »

I think you need to check the forks are not (now) mis-aligned. ASAP.
2001 BMW R1100R, Parabellum WIndshield.
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Just a guess - maybe your handlebar is bent?

If the handlebar took the brunt of the collision force, then that's where I'd first look. My Rockster handlebar was bent a while back, after another rider hit me and caused a tip-over. My impression is that the bar is the purposefully and usefully the weak link in the mechanical chain for unplanned forces on the bike's front end... I don't think the Telelever front end has any known weakness, and is quite strong indeed save for nasty head-on collisions.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
DJ Downunder
Honorary Lifer

Post by DJ Downunder »

I think you might find that it's an illusion because the two main gauges are different sizes and it tricks your eyes into thinking something is out.. and the more you look at it the more something seem wrong.. Just a thought.

DJ