Anyone using SW-Motech Quick-Lock Tankbag?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Anyone using SW-Motech Quick-Lock Tankbag?

Post by SF_Hooligan »

I picked up a SW-Motech Daypack II tankbag recently, and got what appears to be the appropriate tank ring mount from Twisted Throttle. I wanted a small tankbag to keep my camera, etc handy without having all that crap in my jacket pockets and the Quick-Lock setup seemed to be just the thing.

The ring arrived last night and I promptly tried to install it. (installation PDF here for reference) The gas cap fits the ring fine when the ring is not installed in the tank, however once I mount it on the tank, the cap won't close. I removed and re-mounted it several times to make sure I wasn't missing something - I'm pretty technically inclined and we're talking about four screws here.

One of the "legs" that goes into the tank opening was bent, which I thought might cause it to not seat right, so I carefully straightened that out, and tried yet again. No difference. I then tried grinding down the catch point on the ring a bit, still no luck. If I back out the screws about 1 1/4 turns, the cap clicks into place. It appears there's a significant difference between the thickness it should be and the thickness is actually is.

I have the '09 and later ring (the previous cap assembly is different in that the cap is attached to the ring without screws). Anyone install one of these on a 2011 bike? Twisted Throttle says they haven't had any issues - at this point, since I already "modified" :badgrin: it I have to just order another to see if it fits. Hoping to get background from someone with this setup before I do that. Seems like it should be pretty straightforward to make the ring so that the gas cap clicks closed and seals pretty much like stock.

Thanks y'all.
Lost Rider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 514

Re: Anyone using SW-Motech Quick-Lock Tankbag?

Post by Lost Rider »

Can't help you with 11' bikes but my SW setup with a hard case in place of the soft bag has served me well for years on the 07'. I remember having to do some drilling when moving the ring from my R1150R, if I get time I'll search through my old photos.... this was years ago and I don't have the best memory. :smt033
Sorry can't help more.

Would like to see some photos of the new system though. :D
Get Lost!
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Well, thanks. Glad to hear you're stoked with your setup - hoping I can make it work. Since I have that spiffy white stripe on my tank I'm trying to stay away from a magnetic or strap mount bag.

By the way, your website rocks. :smt023
JohnM
Lifer
Donating Member #: 852

Post by JohnM »

SF:

You might want to discuss this with Twisted Throttle. For my `09, I actually needed the `07 mounting ring kit for my tank. (Had to provide them w/ the serial number of my bike.)

But since you have an `11, maybe they accidentally sent you the older `06-`08 ring?

My installation was incident free, and I really like this tank-bag system.
"The exuberance of youth pales in comparison to a middle age crisis."
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Thanks JohnM - Discussions are ongoing. ;)

I did some more digging last night - here's what I found, for those who come later.

1. Looking at BMW parts diagrams on various sites didn't turn up any different part numbers for the gas cap assembly, but I knew that there are at least two versions: '06-'08 and post-09.
2. Givi makes a similar mounting system and a few tank bags now, so I thought I'd check those out in case I wasn't able to make the SW setup work. Givi's application chart on Twisted Throttle shows only a ring that fits the R1200R from '11 on. That's odd - if it was the same, I'd think they'd want to have it apply to all years so they can sell more.
3. SW-Motech actually shows three rings for the R1200R and guess what - there's one for '11 on. Entire list is here - the part for '11 on is TRT.00.475.12801/S. There are also black "EVO" tank rings now, but they work with new "EVO" tankbags, which appear to be the same bags with a different upper ring. Oh well.

I've actually had both of the mounting rings in my hand. The '06-'08 cap uses a non-screw arrangement to mount the cap into the ring - my gas cap wouldn't work. I got that one at Wunderlich America in Watsonville, CA when I stopped in one day - they only had that one, so I gave it a shot. They happily took it back. The 09- caps use screws to hold the caps to the ring, but there's apparently a difference in depth for the '11- bikes.

The Twisted Throttle guys are cool, and I don't really expect them to do anything other than sell me the right one. I can't really expect a refund on this one since I already hacked it up, and that's on me. If I had waited rather than trying to make it work, everything would be copasetic. :lol:

I'll keep you guys posted and post a photo of the setup once it's finally in place.

EDIT:
The lovely gentlemen at Twisted Throttle emailed me this morning and have already put in a PO to SW for the right part. They also created a replacement order for me, and will be sending me the new part at no cost. Super awesome customer service!
Shakey
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 961

Post by Shakey »

I have already been through this sketch with SW-Motech so I can tell you categorically that there is a specific tank ring kit for the 2011 bike. I don't think I kept my email traffic so unfortunately, I can't tell you what the specific part number is.

Anyway, SW Motech know about it but understandably, they will not compromise their in-country distributors by supplying direct to the customer so you still need to convince your dealer. I'll back back home in about 10 days so I'll see if I can get the part number for you.
Martin
Pas D'elle yeux rhone que nous!
dokotela
Donating Member #: 0

Post by dokotela »

SF,

I had the same problem. I would fill up the tank, drive off, and stop a mile down the road having been aware of the smell of fresh fuel, only to find the cap not down properly.

I resolved the problem by pushing the cap down very firmly whenever I fill up, and it has stopped the issue.
It saves drilling things, as suggested by joe.

cheers

Julian
2007 R1200R

Past lovers: Street triple, Sprint ST and RS, SV650
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Shakey wrote:I have already been through this sketch with SW-Motech so I can tell you categorically that there is a specific tank ring kit for the 2011 bike. I don't think I kept my email traffic so unfortunately, I can't tell you what the specific part number is...
dokotela wrote:...I resolved the problem by pushing the cap down very firmly whenever I fill up, and it has stopped the issue...
Thanks guys. As noted in my post above, I actually dug up the part number and Twisted Throttle has it on order. I'll report back when I get it and install it.

I've had bikes in the olden days that didn't seal well around the gas cap. Even with a very firm push, I wasn't confident it would even stay shut, never mind the wear on the parts over time. Not good, and not something I'm interested in messing with. I don't want to be out on a multi-day ride and have a gas cap that won't seal.
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Update:

The new part finally came, and didn't fit. :x

It's the right part number, but the parts themselves are indistinguishable from each other. I'd bet they're identical. So either the wrong part got into the package for the supposedly new correct part, or this new part doesn't fit either.

Emailed TwistedThrottle, and they say:
Is the surface of the filler cap level with the top of the cast outer ring when it latches? If it's a little low on the hinge side of the cap, I have seen instances where the hinge pin was not fully seated in the casting causing the filler cap to sit lower than it was supposed to. This creates the same problem we are dealing with where the cap would not latch when on the bike. If you have any doubts, please email me a clear picture of both the stock outer ring as well as the SW-Motech provided ring focusing on the hinge pin seats.
I was certain it was seated correctly - I mean, I've had this thing apart about fifty times now. But I re-installed and - incredibly - it still didn't fit. So I took a bunch of photos, and emailed 'em to TwistedThrottle tonight. Not sure where to go from here - there's not a whole lot of room for error here. It's six screws!

I'd really like to use the tankbag I've had sitting here for four months now. Will update when I know more.
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

dokotela wrote: I resolved the problem by pushing the cap down very firmly whenever I fill up, and it has stopped the issue.

I drilled mine out because I was ahead of the times and wanted to use my custom tank box with the SW-Motech system from my R1150R before they made the correct ring for the R1200R.
Some people have patience to wait, some of us lead and get it done.
This was 5 years ago, how time fly's by and with as many miles as I have on the bike now my drilled out tank ring seems to have worked well. :D

If this is the case and there's no "correct" part for the 11's yet, seems like a drill and 4 holes would be an easy fix for SF, use the stock cap, install the ring onto the OEM filler cap. Done.

The old build thread:
http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11206

How different is the 2011 fuel cap than this?
I found my old photos of installing the ring on the OEM cap.

Get Lost!
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Lost Rider wrote:
dokotela wrote: I resolved the problem by pushing the cap down very firmly whenever I fill up, and it has stopped the issue.
I drilled mine out because I was ahead of the times and wanted to use my custom tank box with the SW-Motech system from my R1150R before they made the correct ring for the R1200R.
Some people have patience to wait, some of us lead and get it done.
This was 5 years ago, how time fly's by and with as many miles as I have on the bike now my drilled out tank ring seems to have worked well. :D

If this is the case and there's no "correct" part for the 11's yet, seems like a drill and 4 holes would be an easy fix for SF, use the stock cap, install the ring onto the OEM filler cap. Done.

The old build thread:
http://r1150r.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11206

How different is the 2011 fuel cap than this?
I found my old photos of installing the ring on the OEM cap.

Dokotela, I've pushed down very hard and it won't shut. That's not the issue, believe me.

Thanks for the link, Joe. I didn't realize you had drilled out the stock ring. That's definitely an option - I'll take a peek at it. I have no problem modding the stock parts to make it work - if I screw it up, I'll just get another one.

TwistedThrottle is now saying there's no casting difference between the two part numbers and that the closing problem is sometimes due to "too much powdercoat" in the little channel where the hinge pin sits. Maybe I'll take a peek at that too.

As to differences, the only obvious difference is in the photo with the red cap seat - looks like there's a metal ring in there? Mine doesn't have that - just the red surface. Other than that, it looks pretty much the same (from memory).
Lost Rider
Basic User

Post by Lost Rider »

Right on, seems like either way a little Dremel work could be in order. ;)

Like your attitude BTW.... you can never learn if you're not willing to make mistakes or at least take risks.
Get Lost!
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Lost Rider wrote:Right on, seems like either way a little Dremel work could be in order. ;)

Like your attitude BTW.... you can never learn if you're not willing to make mistakes or at least take risks.
Thank you, sir. This is actually much more how I usually work (Dremel, drill, whatever...) but the bike is so pretty and new and I thought there was an easy bolt-on solution. Starting to get past the pretty and new thing now and make significant changes to the bike. I'll probably post photos of the various mods I've done in one mighty thread at some point. But here's a totally off topic (gasp!) teaser:

Dual Powerlets wired up via a Touratech TPS-15 (I think?) under the seat, soon to be replaced by a Fuzeblock. One Powerlet for the iPhone running Navigon, the other powers a GoPro sometimes mounted to the left side of the instrument cluster. Now if I could just hardwire the Spot - hate having to worry about batteries in that thing.
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

Apologies in advance for the thread bump, but it came to my attention that this thread was coming up when folks are looking for info on the SW-Motech tankring, so I wanted to post the eventual solution.

I went back and forth with TwistedThrottle, and after a couple tries of the same (supposedly correct) part, they sent me the new style EVO tankring and upper ring:

TRT.00.640.12801.B SW-Motech quick-lock EVO bottom ring (BMW screwless, R1200R '09-)
TRT.00.640.10200.B SW-Motech quick-lock EVO upper ring

The tankring shows "BMW R1200R, '09- Without Screws" and the older style was supposedly for the same application, but never would fit my bike. We went through several rounds of making sure it was installed right, making sure there wasn't too much powder coat in the channels for the pin, and so on. It took several months. The EVO tankring mounted correctly with no issues.

I don't think you can normally buy the upper ring by itself, at least without proving you have a tankbag of theirs. They're very precious about this stuff.
Patch
Lifer
Donating Member #: 975

Post by Patch »

I'll add in that it may take 2 tries to get it right even with the right part number - it did for me.

SF is right - the Tankring part number for an '11 is TRT.00.640.12801/B

My 1st one last summer just would not sit flush, though it seemed perfectly in alignment when you set it flat on a surface. Gas cap would not close. Luckily being only a short ride to TT, I went in and we switched with another one, that did fit better, but I still need to turn the key in the cylinder to securely lock the cap. This actually works pretty well, and I can hear the "click" If I do not use the key, no matter how hard I press the lock won't completely engage.

I have had success with this since last summer and it takes only a few short seconds... I can live with it, and I love the tankbag ez on/off so for e it is worth it.
2011 R1200 R
kangarooman
Basic User

Post by kangarooman »

Gosh I am sorry for all your trouble...........I had no problems with my Vstrom and now with '13 r1200r. BTW, the quick lock is great after first trying a magnetic tank bag and then a strap mount.
hjsbmw
Lifer
Donating Member #: 711

Post by hjsbmw »

Do the Quick-lock tankbag users know if the rubber tank lid gasket (Abdeckring) will fit and work with the Quick-lock ring?
Harald
2007 BMW R1200R
SF_Hooligan
Lifer

Post by SF_Hooligan »

hjsbmw wrote:Do the Quick-lock tankbag users know if the rubber tank lid gasket (Abdeckring) will fit and work with the Quick-lock ring?
Was just chatting with someone about this recently. I'm not sure - I don't have it. I assume the ring raises that whole red assembly a bit, and the cap seals against that. The feet on the hinge ring bottom against it too, though, so I'd guess it'd be ok - the relative distances should remain the same. I'd be hesitant to say much more than that, though, because the whole thing was such a trial. It appears that the quality control on these pieces is not the best.

The quick removal tank bag is fabulous compared to the magnetic bags I've been using forever. I love how it just locates correctly, click and go. Just wish it hadn't taken so long to get it sorted.
hetman
Lifer

Post by hetman »

I have that gasket on my 2007 along with the Quick-Lock ring.. but the older style, not the Evo one.

hjsbmw wrote:Do the Quick-lock tankbag users know if the rubber tank lid gasket (Abdeckring) will fit and work with the Quick-lock ring?