Auxillary light mounts-Update!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

ddepr1217
Basic User

Auxillary light mounts-Update!

Post by ddepr1217 »

Hey guys and gals! So I had mentioned that I am trying to add a little more light to the front of the bike, as I know many of you have. I read as much as I can about mounting options and it looks like lots of folks go with the luma links which look great and are about as functional as it gets. And while I still may go that route, I was wondering what other options you all have come up with that are more, how shall we say, budget friendly.
I do have a fabriactor locally that said he could "come up with something" but he wants just as much as the luma links would be.

Found tons of stuff for the GS but no a lot for out beloved R12s.

Short of zip ties and duct tape, I would love to hear what you folks have come up with!

Thanks!
Last edited by ddepr1217 on Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mogu83
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Auxillary light mounts

Post by mogu83 »

Their must be hundreds of pictures and posts on this list about auxillary lights and their mounts. Did you try to SEARCH it. :?
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2011 Sportster
BMWMOA 57358
ddepr1217
Basic User

Post by ddepr1217 »

I did do a search and most of the threads wind up talking more about the actual lights rather than the mounts (which was very helpful in it's own right). I read up on Don's configuration and i think that is something that would work for me. But I guess I should have been more specific in my original post. I'm really looking for fork mounts rather than crash bars, calipers etc. While these are all great ideas, I like to have the lights a bit more headlight level or slightly below making a triangular pattern.

Like I said, if luma links are the only solution, then that might be the best route.
websterize
Lifer
Donating Member #: 710

Post by websterize »

Check out Skene's Photon Blasters, noting his gallery page. Lots of mounting options.

Bill
Hegs
Basic User

Post by Hegs »

I went with the Clearwater Glenda lights on a caliper mount. I'm happy with that set-up. I'll see if I can find the pdf and PM you.
BLAIR1200R
Basic User

Post by BLAIR1200R »

I was wondering what other options you all have come up with that are more, how shall we say, budget friendly.
I don't know how much the LumaLink brackets cost (couldn't find a price sheet), but Wunderlich sells lights/brackets combo for $299. Not inexpensive, for sure, but one thing I liked about these was the mounting location.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5/me ... t_offset=2

I say this because I like the lines of the R1200R, so I'll try to blend form & function and still get some additional lighting.
bLaIr1200R
2012 Grey Matt R1200R
"The universe rings true wherever you fairly test it."
ddepr1217
Basic User

Post by ddepr1217 »

Those Wunderlich lights might actually be an option. Will give them a call and report back. Thanks!!!! :P
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer

Post by ka5ysy »

Here is my setup with the Clearwater Kristas on Lumalink mounts:

MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
Roder
Basic User

Post by Roder »

[quote="ka5ysy"]Here is my setup with the Clearwater Kristas on Lumalink mounts

Any issues with the CAN BUS system?
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer

Post by ka5ysy »

Roder wrote:
ka5ysy wrote:Here is my setup with the Clearwater Kristas on Lumalink mounts

Any issues with the CAN BUS system?

No, because the power to all the accessories I have added are through a switched fuse box and then directly to the battery. The only connection to a canbus line is to the headlight circuit for the sensing voltage to the fuse box switching.
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
r12gecko
Basic User

Post by r12gecko »

I drilled through my Motech bars to mount a set of Denali D2's and avoided paying for an additional mount kit. Worked out fine and the location suits me well. I posted a thread here on the install search denali D2...
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here - this is the war room!"
ddepr1217
Basic User

Re: Auxillary light mounts-Update!

Post by ddepr1217 »

So I went today to see someone in my area today who is know for his talents in metal fabricating to see if he can make some custom light mounts for my bike and here is what we unearthed. If you have a 2011 and now, the 2012, most, if not all, aftermarket fork mounts will likely not work due to the fact that the '11s and '12s have forks that taper. The diameter is smaller at the top then at the bottom where the previous years' forks are just tubular with the same diameter throughout. In person, it is really obvious.

So he took some measurements with some tools that looked like something a NASA engineer might use and said that he would let me know in a few days what he comes up with. Said he wants to make a dummy model first just to see if he's got something to work with. Had no idea light mounts would be this much fun to find! :shock:

Anyway, I will keep anyone who is interested posted. As soon as he comes up with something, I will post.

This is the first bike I've ever bought brand spanking new. Guess you've got a wait a while for the aftermarkets to catch up.
fleuger99
Basic User

Post by fleuger99 »

ka5ysy wrote:Here is my setup with the Clearwater Kristas on Lumalink mounts:

ka5ysy,

What size shield do you have in this pic? Thanks.
2012 R1200R | Grey Matt | Safety Pkg | TPMS | On Board Computer | Luggage Rack | VStream Shield
deilenberger
Honorary Lifer

Re: Auxillary light mounts-Update!

Post by deilenberger »

ddepr1217 wrote:So I went today to see someone in my area today who is know for his talents in metal fabricating to see if he can make some custom light mounts for my bike and here is what we unearthed. If you have a 2011 and now, the 2012, most, if not all, aftermarket fork mounts will likely not work due to the fact that the '11s and '12s have forks that taper. The diameter is smaller at the top then at the bottom where the previous years' forks are just tubular with the same diameter throughout. In person, it is really obvious.
The 2007-2010 for sliders also are tapered.. Not a problem with the Lumalink brackets - they are a variable diameter and adjust for the taper. The reason I know this - I worked very closely with James Gordy (RIP) in designing them to fit the R12R.. and sent multiple measurements to him. The early sliders not only are tapered they are oval in cross-section (the new ones are round..)

You might talk to his son Brian Gordy who is continuing the business. I'm sure if he hasn't already designed a mount to fit, he can and will if you can give him the dimensions.
Don Eilenberger - NJ Shore
2012 R1200R - I love this bike!