Has the new BMW naked twin caught anyone else's eye?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

Sander Abernathy
Lifer

Has the new BMW naked twin caught anyone else's eye?

Post by Sander Abernathy »

I'm referring to the Husqvarna Nuda 900 and Nuda 900R due out by year-end. It's essentially a hypermotard version of the F800R but it has a number of great upgrades including ohlins/sachs suspension, radial mounted Brembo monoblocks, a reworked version of the F800's parallel twin that delivers 105 hp and 100nm of torque as compared to 110 and 119, respectively in the R1200R. While it has a bit less power than the R1200R it also weighs 50 pounds less dry so what it gives up in power it gets back in pounds.

Downsides are that it's ugly, has a much higher seat height of 875 mm versus 800 mm for the standard R1200R seat, lack of the R1200R's versatility as I'm sure they won't be offering a panoply of windscreens and hard luggage, etc. I suspect it also lacks traction control and ABS though I could be wrong. The burnouts in the videos make it pretty clear it lacks linked braking. It appeals to me because it's edgier looking than the bike we all know and love. I particularly like the headlight/windscreen.

I should probably stop looking at it. The last thing I need to be doing is considering a bike that perches me higher up in the air so I will fall farther before hitting the pavement. A rationale person would be looking for a car but cars bore me now.

It does raise a point of annoyance. So BMW's subsidiary, Husqvarna will build and offer their bikes with upgraded suspensions and brakes from Ohlins and Brembo but if I want those on a BMW that no doubt costs more, I have to buy the bike with the OEM parts and then purchase aftermarket replacement parts. As I've learned recently, if I need to replace the OEM parts, in the rare event of an accident, the OEM parts cost as much or more as the good aftermarket stuff. Call me crazy but would it be a bad strategy to offer a premium motorcycle with premium equipment?
2014 R nineT,
2011 Grey Matte R12R, (at the beach)
2011 Red R12R (RIP), &
'09 White R12R (RIP)
NakedRider
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Has the new BMW naked twin caught anyone else's eye?

Post by NakedRider »

It's caught my eye as well. It just wouldn't be as good as an "only" bike like the R1200R.

For just fun riding it would be a hoot!
BMW R1200R - White
r12gecko
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by r12gecko »

Love it.

Looks like a good one for roaring around town, if one could keep a second more civilized bike for carrying passengers & other stuff, which I can't at present. At that weight & with the beefed up Rotax parallel twin powerplant, there's no doubt she'd be a lively ride.

"First look" review here http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/827/10440 ... -Look.aspx

Have to laugh at the prominence of front brake reservoir in the overall profile though -- the guys on the F800 forum used to call that thing the urine sample cup... it really sticks out on the Husqvarna!
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here - this is the war room!"
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Oh yeah, the Nuda 900 has potential.

http://www.r1150r.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=23333
http://www.r1150r.net/board/viewtopic.p ... 4&p=205297

Problem is the suggested retail price... or lack thereof.

Assuming that the Nuda will be unaffordable (given all the top shelf equipment), I'm considering some type of "eigenbau" bike with similar traits: a simple & reliable motor, stiff frame and forks, brakes with good feel, single seat, lightest possible weight, and conventional wheel/tire sizes (120 & 180 17"). Naked streetfighter trackday mountain riding bike. 100 HP and as much torque as possible. 50 MPG. 150 mile range at an aggressive pace. And cheap to crash.

This would replace my Buell XB.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
CRazyCam
Basic User

Post by CRazyCam »

Hi sweatmark.

Get yourself a test ride on a Triumph Street Triple.

It fits most, if not all, of your listed requirements.

regards,CrazyCam
angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

IMNSHO, it put the butt in buttugly! Sorry guys.
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
fastdogs2
Lifer
Donating Member #: 819

Post by fastdogs2 »

The extremely angular looks remind me of something that has been constructed by the Japanese art of origami. It appears that you could cut yourself on those sharpened angles if you happened to back into that bike. It says, "Danger, watch out; sharp edges," to me.

Everyone has their tastes, whether in art or motorcycles. I prefer the more rounded looks of the R1200R.

Bill
2009 R1200R Alpine White
# 819