throttle stuck open...........???

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

pistonbroke
Basic User

throttle stuck open...........???

Post by pistonbroke »

hi all
today on the way to work 4 gear just overtaking a car and the throttle stuck wide open ...350 meters away a roundabout,with a car in front slowing down for it lorry coming off the roundabout . tried open and closing ,nothing just stuck wide open. now hitting the red line , hit the kill switch and stopped in time ,ALMOST BROWN PANTS :shock: .SWEAT ON IN 22.5 C ,FELT SICK :( .started bike again and straight to the red line screaming ,even thought the throttle went back to stop ,kill switch again . open and closed throttle several times and started again ,only now working on one cylinder , ohhhhhhhhhhhh no was the thought. thats done it ,14 miles from home ,got on it and started to limp home , once over 3000 revs went sooth on 2 cylinders again and then i thought ,its a cable ,suddenly it went onto full throttle again taking off like a possessed demon , kill switch again .parked up lay on back looked under the inlet , yes a cable loose hanging off the throttle body ,other side ok . tried to re route the cable , no way . got on the bike again , not going to leave this bike on the side of the road . rode home on one cylinder and did not go over 2000 rpm .the bike was well hot when i got back , rang bmw and they have booked the bike in first thing in morning . so now its in the van tied down ,and now clean pants ready for the 55 mile trip .
could not imagine if it done this in town second gear ..
results to follow tomorrow .......
piston [-(
some days its not worth chewing through the straps and chains in the morning
dav
Lifer
Donating Member #: 798

Re: throttle stuck open...........???

Post by dav »

Bugger me mate :shock: , like you said lucky it happened where it did & not in town or even on hitting the twisties, manage that happened mid corner. Keep us posted when you find out what happened.
2009 R1200R
1981 R65
1968 DUCATI 250 MK3
1975 Suzuki GT380
pistonbroke
Basic User

Post by pistonbroke »

hi all
problem found at dealers .
during manufacture a bubble wrap packet got into air box , must of been there from new as it could not have got through the filter itself . myself buying the bike with 6000 miles on , it could never have been thrashed as this happened on full throttle .
the packet 6 inch by 4 inch got sucked down the inlet from the air box on full throttle , got to the fuel injection butterfly and tried to go though and got stuck , hence the throttle not returning back because of the obstruction . they showed me at the dealers , i was speechless ., i did keep quite as they dropped all tools to sort this out for me ,plus it did not come from them . what if this plastic bag got into inlet ,end of valves i would imagine..in a minute i am off on it to do a work shift , should be even faster now. i am glad it did not happen in a built up area or a bend , then again i would not be on full throttle .
i was lucky :D

results of performance to come in the next few days ..
piston :D .

piston :D
ka5ysy
Triple Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by ka5ysy »

I have to say that I have never, ever, run across anything like that failure mode before ! Wow. Good it work out safely for you. Good riding saved the day ! =D>
MSF #127350 NAUI #36288
2011 RT
WARNING: TEST RIDING THE R1200R IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR FINANCES
pistonbroke
Basic User

Post by pistonbroke »

hi all
ha just borrowed the work computer to put up results of new performance without the bubble wrap ********* ******** BLOCKAGE.
total different bike , with the blockage it went the same as the gs approx ,it ran more on the over run off throttle , i know why now ,the bubble wrap was holding one butterfly slightly open . now it has lots more engine braking and you can hear it drone off throttle . on throttle now it really goes instant ,no lag at all , they did balance the throttle bodies to make sure they were right , full throttle now 5000 up goes like a steam train , more like my old 06 r1200s did .. ., i did worry for a moment on full throttle that it might not go off again . work friends and bike mates said that i should contact bmw uk and complain about the issue as i could of been killed as easy as that .
anyway glad its sorted out , its a better and faster bike than i thought now.

happy bunny
piston =D>
r12gecko
Basic User

Post by r12gecko »

Interesting that this was something down the intake - when I did my Denali lights I had the tank off, looked in the airbox for the first time & there was no filter there. Nothing. So I imagine there's some sloppy work going on that part of the line wherever these bikes are assembled, and the fellows behind it need a good swift kick in the nuts.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here - this is the war room!"
pistonbroke
Basic User

Post by pistonbroke »

hi r12gecko
no air filter in the box ? how sad is that . how many miles had been done with no filter ?.
i would of thought that all these would of been checked at the end of the production line , then the bikes go to the dealer , pre delivery checks ,you would then think with the induction roar someone would notice .
just proves how slack they are ,the bag found in mine would of been inside the filter left by someone working on the line ,and on full throttle got sucked down the inlet tube with mine could of been killed just like that ,these bikes will do over 100mph easily in forth . mine went up to the red line and i did not even look at the speedo , glad the kill switch works .
think in a while i will check the wheel nuts and brakes are attached properly ..
its a worry eh and not without all the crazy drivers to look out for as well .
piston :D .
Mustang Man
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Mustang Man »

Hi Piston,
Sounds like you have a good dealer. It's good that they worked you in right away. I have a '11 1200R that is due for it's 600 mile service. I'm going to check all this out today.
Thanks for the info...
MM
PhilSB
Basic User

Post by PhilSB »

The other day a guy and his teenage son were looking at my bike when the lad pointed out that here was a bird in the air intake. Sure enough there was the body a a deceased finch which I could just pull out. Hmmm, interesting!