Track Day

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1200R.

Moderator: Moderators

jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Track Day

Post by jkhomes »

This last Sunday I took my 2008 R1200R to the local racetrack for motorcycle track day. I was out of town for the one the local BMW dealership sponsored, and evidently there were a ton of GS bikes because that is by far the most popular BMW in New Mexico. The regular track day guys had noticed how tall the GS's are.

I did notice I was the only boxer twin on the track on the day I went. There were some sandbaggers in the novice division, and they got moved up to intermediate. There were quite a few never-ever-befores like myself. They warned us to keep the balls of our feet on the pegs, and sure enough one time my foot was too far forward and dragged the ground. There was a short school in the morning for those that had never been on the track before.

I thought the bike did really well. I easily kept up and passed most of the newbies. Cornering was not a problem. There were a lot of late entry turns, and I could tell I was not pushing the speed because I was able to ride through them as a double apex without freaking out and breaking.

There was a GSXR and Monster that screamed past me in the straight, and they guy on the Hayabusa was surprisingly slow. All in all I was faster than all three of them, but I sure couldn't keep up in that straight. I think the Busa might have been a little long for such a tight track, but the rider was probably the biggest contributing factor.

Gearing was funny too. There didn't seem to be any point in downshifting becuase with such a wide powerband, it didn't seem to get me any more speed whether it was 3,500 rpms or 5,000. I started off mostly in second gear, (tight track) and ended the last two heats mostly in third. Either because of the track or the motorcycle, I just couldn't get as acceleration as I wanted coming out of the turn.

The last two track days will be a more open configuration. I will definitely try to get to one of them. I don't think this is best bike for the track, but it was sure fun. All in all I enjoyed track day, but still prefer cruising in the mountains. I do think it will make me a better rider.

Oh yeah, there were a surprising number of women racing too!
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
JohnM
Lifer
Donating Member #: 852

Re: Track Day

Post by JohnM »

Sounds like you had a great time at the track with your "RR." Maybe the RR would better fit a different type of track? Just wondering.

I've been toying with the notion of running my RR at our local track. But first I need to find the right school for me ... don't want to be mixed w/ a bunch of Rossi-wannabes, even if I slot into the novice group.

Eons ago (well, it seems that way), I club-raced in the northeast with WERA and the now-defunct AAMRR. Riding my Honda CB400F, I was sadly outgunned by the hotshoes on Yamaha RDs. But years later, I still take immense satisfaction with the day I rode down another rider on a Kawi KZ900 on Pocono's AMA 2.8 mile road course.

Horsepower is nice, but it's no substitute for rider talent & desire.
Tarmac
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by Tarmac »

New Mexico? Arroyo Seca... or Indie Motorsports Ranch?
Tarmac
... where the rubber meets the road

2007 R1200R
1970 Datsun 240Z
pistonbroke
Basic User

Post by pistonbroke »

hi jkhomes
yep the r1200r is a great bike , no it has not the power of a gsxr , but it has a lot of good points , late braking is one with the telelever,
torque is great too , i have seen many guys on gs 's out brake sports bike riders on the tracks . i use a sports bike and most of the time for a quick go to work i choose the gs or the 1200r . what tyres did you use for the track day. its surprising that a day on the track and a bit of supervision can make you a better rider for the road . i done a track day few years back now and it was wet , i used the gs and i was shocked how hard you could brake and big leans , its all about being smooth . great days .wish i could do some more :D
piston. :)
some days its not worth chewing through the straps and chains in the morning
jkhomes
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 939

Post by jkhomes »

Tarmac, Arroyo Seco is down south (way south). I had to look up Inde which is in Wilcox Arizona. Here in Albuquerque we have Sandia Motor Speedway. The club that does the motorcycle racing is SMRI. The track has an oval, and two different configurations for the road style course.

Piston, thanks for you comments. I will see what I can figure out with the late breaking. John M, not sure if a more open course would be better for the R1200R or not. I will find out next month!
John K
2008 R1200R
2013 HP4
Ghostcloak
Basic User

Post by Ghostcloak »

I'm interested in doing track days with my R1200R. Aside from personal gear, what is recommended for the motorcycle? I plan on doing a fresh brake fluid flush and throwing on some track brake bads, although the only ones I seem confident in purchasing are Brembo BMW Sintered SC Compound Front Brake Pads For Fast Road & Track Use ( http://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Brembo_ ... ycles.html ). Does anyone else have any other suggestions? Since it will be an occassional event, I plan on using the Pilot Road 2 tires already on the bike.

Thanks for all the suggestions and tips. :)
qfman
Lifer

Post by qfman »

I've done a few track days over the years and I've never felt short of brakes. The grip at the track is way better than on the road. You might want to carry a little spare oil if your 12 uses it. I would drop the tyre pressures, firm up the suspension and just ride the hell out of the bike. It is ready to go!!

Spend any spare cash you have on your riding gear. One piece, or zip-together leathers, back protector, gloves that cinch up tight, good boots etc. Good gear at the track gives you the confidence to ride faster.

Track days are about YOU And your riding - not your bike!!!

Tom
Tarmac
Basic User

Post by Tarmac »

I wouldn't spend the money on brake pads, unless they actually need replacing.

Stock tires are fine.

Take the little curb feeler pegs (aka "Hero Pegs") off of the bottom of the foot pegs. They drag way too early.

If you have the $$$ to spend, a little protection on the bike wont hurt. Axle and swing arm sliders, and some cylinder head protection, just not the huge steel tube GS style stuff. Maybe something like this?

http://www.touratech.com/shops/008/prod ... ts_id=8661

Remember to take the tool kit, and anything else you have stashed, out from under the seat.

Hydrate and stretch.

Focus on riding. "Free your mind from whimsey".

Bring a lawn chair, and a canopy.

Pass on the inside.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgDgAxVDu4s

Good luck!
Tarmac
... where the rubber meets the road

2007 R1200R
1970 Datsun 240Z