Wunderlich guards scrape ahead of pegs?

This section is dedicated to the new Rockster version of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

Grey Thumper
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Wunderlich guards scrape ahead of pegs?

Post by Grey Thumper »

I've always thought the sound of hero blobs scraping was a fairly safe indicator that the cornering limits are close to being reached, but its nothing you should panic about; the pegs themselves aren't solidly connected to the bike anyway. I checked the bike recently and apparently it's my Wunderlich engine bars that are scraping, which is pretty alarming. Now I'm wondering if my suspension settings or riding form are wrong, and if the Wunderlich bars themselves are a poor design and should be removed.

Note: I don't hang off the bike while riding on the street; I think it's safer to ride with less lean angle. But now that solidly mounted parts are scraping, I wonder if I should reevaluate this.
Edition 80 #1803

They can't hit you if you're not there.
Ric
Basic User

Re: Wunderlich guards scrape ahead of pegs?

Post by Ric »

You're asking for trouble dragging hard parts.
IMO the gaurds are a very poor design if they can scrap when leaning through a curve the bike can handle.
Check your suspension; sounds like you need to stiffen things up a bit.
Of course, you're not on the brakes when this happens....right ?
10 R1200R
09 KLX 250sf
74 H2
77 RD
69 Kawasaki Bushwacker
67 Kawasaki 120SS
65 CB 450 Black Bomber !
Lion_Lady
Basic User
Donating Member #: 1

Post by Lion_Lady »

How many miles on the bike? If over 25K, does it still have the OEM shocks? Could be a combination of issues.

P
riceburner
Basic User

Post by riceburner »

Grey Thumper wrote:I've always thought the sound of hero blobs scraping was a fairly safe indicator that the cornering limits are close to being reached, but its nothing you should panic about; the pegs themselves aren't solidly connected to the bike anyway. I checked the bike recently and apparently it's my Wunderlich engine bars that are scraping, which is pretty alarming. Now I'm wondering if my suspension settings or riding form are wrong, and if the Wunderlich bars themselves are a poor design and should be removed.

Note: I don't hang off the bike while riding on the street; I think it's safer to ride with less lean angle. But now that solidly mounted parts are scraping, I wonder if I should reevaluate this.

Do you "push" the bike down in a corner? If so, change that immediately - that's ok for off-roading, but not on tarmac. Lean your shoulder into the corner and your body should lean "into" the corner.
Non quod, sed quomodo.

A Rockster Life
Grey Thumper
Basic User

Post by Grey Thumper »

riceburner wrote:Do you "push" the bike down in a corner? If so, change that immediately - that's ok for off-roading, but not on tarmac. Lean your shoulder into the corner and your body should lean "into" the corner.
I sort of "point with my chin" towards the corner, and assumed that my body leans slightly into it, without aggressively hanging off. I should ask a friend riding behind to confirm if I'm really doing this though. I'll also recheck my suspension settings; I'm kinda short, so preload is at it's lowest, but rebound is pretty stiff. Maybe I could give up flatfooting for a more raised rear.
Edition 80 #1803

They can't hit you if you're not there.