Ride West

This section is for people to post trip writeups and pictures AFTER the trip is over.

Moderator: Moderators

mnnden
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Ride West

Post by mnnden »

Spring here in Mn means rain and cool weather, somewhere in the low 40's, so with nothing to do I thought I would make an attempt at a ride report I took late last year, I rode from Mn to Oregon, up through Wa. into the Olympic peninsula, and then up into the Northern cacades, down into Sturges and then home. Had a He## of a time, I didn't take a lot of pictures but I think maybe enough to make a report, here go's!
My last purchase before I left (I camp)
I rode out with a friend of mine, he was going to Oregon, so we rode together out to near Portland
somewhere
My GPS
Kind of a boreing ride until Idaho and LoLo pass
The "Infamous" sign
Idaho was very nice, great roads
I did some merandering and ended up in southern Washington, and into the columbia gourge
I crossed the river a couple of different times sometimes in Oregon and some Washington
We parted ways around here, him to Portland, Me to Poulsbo
I crossed the Lewis & Clarke Bridge (in the background, Longview?)
Up, Up, and away, not sure of the elevation but it was wet and cold, I did incounter snowflurries
I stopped and put it all on!!
I like this (my GRANDdaughters doing)
The Astoria bridge in the background, I wishI had a better picture, it is just Beautiful, but the weather was not good so I just crossed and took shelter at a wayside, but do a google and see it
The reststop
Arriving at my son's my daughter-in-law took this picture, after about 300 mile of rain!!!
Made room for "Jugs" and hung up some wet clothes
I stayed a couple of days and the it was to the Islands, Hood canal bridge in the background (do a google)
Awaiting the ferry in PortTownsend
The ferry is comming in
A hard to see map of where I am going to go, it was on the wall of the ferry dock, I was glad to see it as one of my downfalls are not using a map
I get out that way every couple of years and I love the ferry system,
The only bike on the boat, first on-first off
Into the Northern Cascades, What a Ride!!!!
The Water is Green I'll explain
here is why
For som reason I didn't take many pictures after the cascades, I was crossing Montana and mid-afternoon the sky started to look funny, I was on a two lane road, I got out the map and beeeelllinnnnnned to the freeway and shelter!!!! it you have never seen an angry Montana sky feel lucky, it is a scarry thing, I took a couple of pictures as I checked the map, but they are nothing,
The sky turned every shade of purple I have ever seen and then the lightning, I was a worried "puppie" but it never did rain, I got tucked away in a hotel before the rain and wind.
Just starting to come in
about when I got the map out,, and it was downhill from there
I turned south in North Dakota and met some friends in Sturgis, (the rally was taking place)
spent the night and home the next day, mnn
We all gave some,
Some gave all.

Anonymous
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: Ride West

Post by sweatmark »

Some good pics, thanks!

Yes, that's Longview, WA in the distance past the Columbia River and the Bridge.
The top of the Coast Range is only about 1000ft, but there's an occasional snowfall at top of that rise you show in the pics.
I drove out an back on the same route today for business.

Hope you enjoyed the trip!
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
mnnden
Basic User

Post by mnnden »

Sweatmark, Thanks for the comments, I did enjoy the trip, I really enjoy that part of the world, many years ago I worked as a logger out of Oakridge Or. (Diamond peak) (one of the most interesting chapters of my life) it was interrupted by the Vietnam war and I never returned, the way things turned out I have no regrets. but what a great place to live, mnn
We all gave some,
Some gave all.

Anonymous
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

many years ago I worked as a logger out of Oakridge Or. (Diamond peak)
Oakridge was destination during my R1200RT test ride a while back:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17658
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
mnnden
Basic User

Post by mnnden »

Sweatmark, nice report and NICE loaner bikes, a person could really get spoiled riding one of those!!! I guess I am a glutten for punishment as I also "trip" on a KLR which is about as comfortable as a "Body cast" Here are a couple pics from Pikes Peak and one from T.R. National park, I am thinking of a KLR ride to Or. I would like to visit the area around Lowell, (that is were I lived) the "Crummy" would pick me up right at my door. Oh the memories!!!
P.P

T.R. Nat. Park

mnn
We all gave some,
Some gave all.

Anonymous
gbbaile
Basic User

Post by gbbaile »

Thanks for the great photos and info. Love your tank panniers...where did you get them?

mnnden
Basic User

Post by mnnden »

gbbaile wrote:Thanks for the great photos and info. Love your tank panniers...where did you get them?
Yes, I like the panniers also, They seem to be very well made & hold a lot of "stuff" I purchased them at Aerostich in Duluth Mn
They can be found online at http://www.aerostich.com/ They put out a nice catalog of quality items.
We all gave some,
Some gave all.

Anonymous
bmwdave52
Lifer

Post by bmwdave52 »

Great trip!! Thanks for sharing.
"When life throws you a curve lean into it"
Proud member since 2001; #17(Life)