I'm Lovin' My New Gears!

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

macx
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

I'm Lovin' My New Gears!

Post by macx »

OK - last one, I promise!

First, I swapped Enduro low 1st & 6th into my roadster trans.

Then I swapped an 02 K1200LT final drive into my 04 R1150R. It's a 2.62. The closest I could find to a straight bolt in was a 2.75, and that didn't calculate out to get me where I wanted to go. I had to use the K rear caliper and wheel, which looks identical to the R wheel & is the same size, only it doesn't have the disc & ABS ring mount bosses cuz on the K final drive those are mounted onto the wheel side of the final drive.

The K ABS plug plugged right into my R ABS plug in the harness. The stock K rear master cyl is the same cc volume as the R rear master cyl, so left that alone.

I did have to get a custom 31" rear brake hose cuz the K caliper is in the 8:00 position as you look at the final drive.

The basic drive housing is the same as on the R, and it attaches the same - pivots/bearings and reaction arm. The R driveshaft slip joint matches up to the K yoke.

After taking a few spins on it, incl in town, I can now report I'm finally happy - no, thrilled! - with the gearing.

1st is 7% lower than stock roadster, and just that little bit of difference seems to make a big difference in starting out with lots less clutch slip and it just seems effortless - nice around town. 5th gear goes from 50 mph at 3000 to 60 at 3600. Covers all my 2 lanes just right with no lugging in 6th or no higher rpm vibration in the handgrips in 5th - my old nerves are shot and don't tolerate any handgrip vibes hardly at all - , which was my goal from the start. And no up and downshifting for hills or with a passenger.

6th now runs 3000 at 58 to 3800 at 75, and no vibrations, for the occasional freeway blast, or easy solo riding on flat 2 lanes. At my age, 75 is fast enuf for cruising. And I don't ride this bike long distances, anyway, and not very often have reason to get out on the freeway for more than a few miles.

Ironically, after calculating overall gear ratios (trans and final drive combined), I now have a 1st and a 6th that is extremely close to the "new improved" ratios in the R1200's.

Once more I can say "I LOVE it when a plan comes together!" :biggrin:

Oh, yes, I could have bought new 2.62 gears and paid a dealer or whoever to set it up. Big bucks, and
with that being what I've read is a very touchy setup that not that many dealers or independents can
reliably do with no problems developing. Also now I've got a good roadster trans and stock R1150 final
drive and rear wheel I can sell. Being I shopped around I got good prices on all the stuff and expect I'll
be able to sell my parts and come out pretty darn close to even. Yeah, also "coulda' had a 1200" but
again big bucks, and if I ever have the need or craving to put on lots of hiway miles I'll get something
like a real touring machine like the R1200RT. Bottom line, I'm happy. :-)
RBrider
Basic User

Re: I'm Lovin' My New Gears!

Post by RBrider »

As someone who has built (and rebuilt) a lot of equipment of one kind or another over the years, I gotta give you a thumbs up for doing your research, then doing the actual work to complete the task successfully =D> .

Nowdays, just the bare minumun required to properly maintain my stuff is all I want to do. Well that, and maybe a few accessory add ons to suit my needs (mainly two up sportstouring, dirt biking and dual sport)

If I have to dig into my R1150R for some unforseen reason, I'll know who to call on!! :)

RB
macx
Basic User

Re: I'm Lovin' My New Gears!

Post by macx »

Kindred spirits me thinks.

Grew up on a farm - an unusual one in that my father didn't know anything about
equipment.

But I had friends who were hot rodders. I got interested, looked over a lot of shoulders,
helped spin a lot of wrenches, asked a lot of questions, read a lot of magazines.

Got into it myself as I grew up. Had a bunch of classic muscle cars I sure wish I'd a kept
- same old story. Either helped or, later, did all the modifying on them myself. Incl a
much wrenched on 600 hp street hemi, 375 hp 396 SS Camaro, 440 6 pack Challenger RT SE,
a bunch of others. Built engines, manual & auto trans, diff's and everything inbetween.

Nothing like a big table full of auto trans parts the first time you take one of those apart
to keep your undivided attention!

Over the years it's been more of the same with lots of diff equipment, heavy and light.

Been times if I couldn't have rebuilt an engine & trans I'd of been riding a bicycle.

But I've learned it's a HECK of a lot more fun when you don't HAVE to fix something -
when you can do it for the fun of it and the pleasure of having something really neat
after you finish it. And I'm one of those unfortunate souls for whom "it's either right
or it ain't" and I'm unsatisfied until I make it right. So I'm always busy. :-/

But except for a Mayer seat, I think I'm finally done messin' with my R. Been tinkering
for 3 years, I guess that's enuf! I do have to admit, it runs sweet now!!

Stay tuned - I just gone done with the welding on a custom designed bike trailer,
getting it sand blasted & painted today & tomorrow - of course just gotta show it
off when I get it all together! (And the paint should hide my welding #-o - getting too
darn old, shaky & blind!!)

Fla, huh? Hmmm. Been a few years since I've been on Biscayne Bay - might take you
up on that some time! :-) Never made it to the Keys yet, either. Sounds like a nice
trip. But I'm movin to Wyoming after I retire after this next job. Too hot & humid in
SE MO, & the taxes have gone nuts since I moved here 20 yrs ago. Plus good friends
there and close to all that scenery in the mountains. Sounds like a whole bunch of
bike trips!!