Shooting my new Pistol

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

NoRRmad
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 388

Re: Shooting my new Pistol

Post by NoRRmad »

(That is:)

http://www.youtube.com/v/sYigC49tnh8

Exploding ground squirrels!
#388 '02 R1150R Black: The darkest color.
OU812
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Post by OU812 »

NoRRmad wrote:(That is:)

http://www.youtube.com/v/sYigC49tnh8

Exploding ground squirrels!
thanks Craig! =D>
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by CycleRob »

I fired the pistol after the latest mods and the results were worse than before. The problem area seemed to be in too much compensatory material removal from the hammer's trigger latch detent. It's 1/3 rd the leverarm radius of the hammer dingle contact point's face, so I knew any removal would be a 3x reduction in the "overcocking" distance that was lost re-contouring to a larger friction radius of the hammer. In that modification, the trigger release pressure increased slightly, due to the detent angle being ever so slightly changed. It was so bad at misloading 2 out of the first 3 I did not even fire off the 10 shot magazine. That's when I decided to order a new hammer assembly -and- purchase the 5 inch barrel conversion from my gun dealer.

While I was there I looked at .410 and 20 gauge Mossberg shotguns. I really was impressed with the "Home Defense" model 500, a .410 gauge. The front pump action handle is a pistol grip and makes for a very solid connection to the barrel for swinging it toward the target (without slipping off) and a very secure closed hand grip during the reloading pump action and sharing the shot recoil damping.

2 days later, after a cash withdrawl trip to the bank (avoids the gunstore's 3% credit card fee), I went in on the bike and brought that shotgun home. The next day, I took both the (new 5" barrel) P22 in the Givi top trunk and the .410 shotgun strapped onto my bike to the rifle range. What a blast that was!!!!! First the shotgun. BLAM . . . . . . . . BLAM . . . BLAM-BLAM-BLAM. HOOO-HAAAA! What a kick that is! 5 shots went pretty quick. I reloaded it 2x more with 5 shells each time, trying some shots from belt level, holding it alongside. The kick is an inch or so with a firm 2 handed grip, what I expected, but not painful. The pellet spread at the 25 yard line target seemed to be 10 feet or more. The 6 ball bird shot I got sure did kick up the dirt!! And before anyone says the (very inexpensive) Winchester 6 ball birdshot may not take down an intruder at 12 feet or less distance (my hallway), I say break down my front door and let's see what it does. For another $27 I can and will get the pistol grip handle to replace the almost too long shoulder stock, essentially converting it into a very short, gang style, boys-n-the-hood assault weapon. :badgrin: It makes it easier to use inside the house . . . . . it IS after all, made precisely for what is deeply stamped into the barrel: "410 bore - 18.5 in. - Home Security"

Back to the 22 pistol. I did not expect what happened next. I am still in shock. :shock: I just kept shooting and reloading the 3 ten shot magazines until all 80 rounds I brought with me were used. To my disbelief, I had 100% shooting/cycling success, with the old, modified hammer. WTF??? Apparently the 5 inch barrel provides the extra push pressure time needed to fully cycle the slide with Federal 1250fps 36 grain hollow points from Wal-Mart. The new hammer is back ordered with no predicted delivery date. No matter. My pistol rocks! When it comes in I'll install it to renew the (lighter) stock trigger pressure.

As soon as the weather clears and gets over 60F this week, I'll be at the range again with both guns and more ammo. I even shortened the thickwalled cardboard storage box by 5 inches so it's now at 38.5" overall length. That travels better, heavily strapped with 4 bungees across the passenger seat against the Givi top trunk.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

Can't beat the shotgun. =D>
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

The shotgun's pistol grip replacement is HERE.

Steve, the next time you visit the Rob&Ann Motel we'll have to take them shooting. Bring one of your own pistols too!

Edit: typo error and fix link to Mossberg pistol grip
Last edited by CycleRob on Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
`09 F800ST

OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

I will bring my trusty S&W Model 19 snubby. :D
jb44
Double Lifer

Post by jb44 »

CycleRob wrote:... For another $27 I can and will get the pistol grip handle to replace the almost too long shoulder stock,...
Next time you are at the range try holding the .410 chest high with the too long stock under your arm, squeezing the stock against your body with your arm... more point and shoot than sighting with a rifle.

jb
mogu83
Lifer

Post by mogu83 »

OU812 wrote:
ScooterCop wrote:It's a magazine, not a clip...

Welcome to gun ownership.
You beat me to it! :lol:
Time to join the NRA. :mrgreen:
In a combat situation sometimes it's easier to yell 'Throw me a clip,I'm out' when your out. Otherwise you may end up holding an empty weapon and the latest copy of Playboy. :badgrin:
Harry Costello -- Jersey Shore
2007 R1200R
1974 + 75 CB125S
1971 R75
2020 Guzzi V85TT
BMWMOA 57358
jas
Double Lifer

Post by jas »

Pistol grips make a nice compact package on a shotgun, and add value during bans, but you may want to shoot one prior to spending the extra money. Combat shotguns are designed with short stocks for a reason (not pistol grips). The gun mounted to your shoulder, or against your side as suggested offer greater control, faster target acquisitions and follow-up shots.

If a person wants the compact package, buy a Taurus Judge, stack the rounds .45 Long Colt and .410, and let it rip. Great for the nightstand, or as a hiking companion.

2004 Roc.
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

jas wrote:Pistol grips make a nice compact package on a shotgun, and add value during bans, but you may want to shoot one prior to spending the extra money. Combat shotguns are designed with short stocks for a reason (not pistol grips). The gun mounted to your shoulder, or against your side as suggested offer greater control, faster target acquisitions and follow-up shots.

If a person wants the compact package, buy a Taurus Judge, stack the rounds .45 Long Colt and .410, and let it rip. Great for the nightstand, or as a hiking companion.

Nice! =P~
jas
Double Lifer

Post by jas »

I enjoy the Judge, and porting the barrel helped. But this new little friend has been amazing:
LC9

Very happy thus far (300 rounds w/o issue) which says someting from a person that is addicted to 1911's and revolvers.
2004 Roc.
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

wncbmw
Lifer

Post by wncbmw »

Rob - you learned an important lesson in owning an automatic pistol. They can be finicky! 100% reliability should be the Number 1priority! Tinkering with the triggers can have bad results, as you found out.

I know that just disappoints a natural tinker! :lol:
'02 in black - the real BMW color! (Now gone to a new home)
Vann - Lifer No. 295
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

Hi folks,

well if your intention is simply to stop an intruder it is my firm believe that a handy tool such as a revolver or an automatic handgun (such as the glock) would be preferable over something like a pump gun. I have shot many weapons during my army time and I continue to do so when traveling to different countries like for example the Baltic states or Russia. I have to say the most forceful handgun of all (which will stop about anything approaching you) is the Ruger Super Redhawk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Super_Redhawk).

Unfortunately weapon laws here in Germany are stricter than anything else and the only way to put your hands on such a handgun is if you are a certified member of a shooting club and have been issued a weapons certificate by the authorities (which is very difficult to get). Fortunately we do not have so many robberies back here as it is not so easy to break into our houses. But in my opinion everybody should be given the right to have a gun at home (such as in Switzerland for example). And my weapon of choice would be the Ruger ... But you need strong hands and arms! :twisted:

Brgds
Oliver
NoRRmad
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 388

Post by NoRRmad »

Boy, I'd hate to be in a neighboring apartment if that cannon were used in a gunfight next door.

:smt071
#388 '02 R1150R Black: The darkest color.
omg1010
Basic User

Post by omg1010 »

This handy toy will even stop an elephant if need be ... Stay clear of the bullets if there is a shootout with such a gun in the neighborhood.

Brgds
Oliver
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

Harvested many a deer with the 44 mag(Blackhawk). Also 357, 41 mag and 45 long colt. At my age I prefer the 12 ga sabot slug. 1950 fps at the muzzle. Bagged one at 150 yards 3 years ago. Of course I could use a 30-06 but the woods where I hunt now really does not have any shooting lanes longer than 100 yards. Ruger makes some really fine pieces. =D>
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

The pistol grip (rear stock) on my Mossberg 500 Home Defender (.410) shares the recoil shock with the (stock) front pistol grip pump. I have not shot it yet, that comes tomorrow or the next day.

Because of the number of #6 balls (1/2 ounce or 11/16 ounce) and the spread at 12 feet, the shotgun is the perfect weapon for a quick aim and a trigger squeeze . . . inside the house. That's why it is actually named by the mfgr the "Home Defense" model. A side benefit is the powerful gun blast explosion(s) rapidly scares away the survivors on the team.

I found a YouTube video of some dufus named Jake using a longer barreled version of my shotgun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSfOwjsOXeA
5 in the tube and 1 in the chamber. The recoil isn't that much, for how often it will be fired (~15 times) - - unlike my .22 pistol that goes thru 80--100 shots per range session.
`09 F800ST

angellr
Donating Member #: 860

Post by angellr »

CycleRob wrote:The pistol grip (rear stock) on my Mossberg 500 Home Defender (.410) shares the recoil shock with the (stock) front pistol grip pump. I have not shot it yet, that comes tomorrow or the next day.

Because of the number of #6 balls (1/2 ounce or 11/16 ounce) and the spread at 12 feet, the shotgun is the perfect weapon for a quick aim and a trigger squeeze . . . inside the house. That's why it is actually named by the mfgr the "Home Defense" model. A side benefit is the powerful gun blast explosion(s) rapidly scares away the survivors on the team.

I found a YouTube video of some dufus named Jake using a longer barreled version of my shotgun.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSfOwjsOXeA
5 in the tube and 1 in the chamber. The recoil isn't that much, for how often it will be fired (~15 times) - - unlike my .22 pistol that goes thru 80--100 shots per range session.
With all due respect, I like/prefer the Remington 870 - the sound calking a round can be colon tightening in and of itself! Black/black is my favorite with a modified pistol grip. Here is a video as follows: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-ioLoNPD5I Also, like the 870 "shorty" but doubt it would be legal as follows: http://15web.com/Oz/page.asp?id=157
-Bob-

2014 R1200R - Dark White
2007 R1200R - SOLD
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

Mossies make a nice jacking sound also. :badgrin: