Shooting my new Pistol

All other motorcycle related topics go in here." However, DO NOT post ANY messages that are related to politics or religion in here. They will be erased. Thanks!

Moderator: Moderators

OU812
Lifer
Donating Member #: 0

Re: Shooting my new Pistol

Post by OU812 »

=P~
Can't wait to hear of you r test!
RIDE TOO PRETEND, PRETEND TOO RIDE. :)
89 Oldwing, 07 WR250R, 14 KX250F
owldaddy
Lifer

Post by owldaddy »

I knew it would only be a matter of time before Rob did a mod on this device. :D Sounds like you massaged the small imperfections that will make a good gun, great.
2004 Ferro R1150R the stealthiest color
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

owldaddy wrote:I knew it would only be a matter of time before Rob did a mod on this device. :D Sounds like you massaged the small imperfections that will make a good gun, great.
Rob massages everything. ;)
owldaddy
Lifer

Post by owldaddy »

Rob massages everything.
Mods, do we need to move this thread to the Playhouse? :P
2004 Ferro R1150R the stealthiest color
When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

OU812 wrote:
owldaddy wrote:I knew it would only be a matter of time before Rob did a mod on this device. :D Sounds like you massaged the small imperfections that will make a good gun, great.
Rob massages everything mechanical. ;)
Fixed! :lol:
jb44
Double Lifer
Donating Member #: 1

Post by jb44 »

Hi Rob,

More curiosity... I know how thorough and meticulous you are; as in choosing the 1150R, the F800ST, and the Yamaha generator... and I almost forgot, your home built computer.

What was your reasoning in choosing the P22?

Thanks.

jb
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

jb44,
When I decided to get a gun, my hard core practicality took over, meaning it had to be a 22 cal pistol. I soon found out that most pistols are 9mm or .45 cal while .22 cal had less models and manufacturers to choose from. IMO the ammo for those bigger guns is too loud, too expensive and kicks too much for a very first weapon. I wanted to stay with .22 cal, around $300 and a magazine fed "L" shaped plastic body model. Looking on the internet, after juggling the price/design/looks/features I gravitated to the German made Walter (Smith&Wesson) brand. Initially I selected a long barrel semi-auto targeting pistol and decided to see it in person at the local gun store. Didn't have one. The owner, when I told him .22 cal and the price range, quickly came back with the P22, implying the gun I asked about would be less suitable/desirable. Knowing he, a very technically oriented collegiate looking guy would recommend only something he'd have to stand behind, I gave it top billing. The P22 was interesting, but I decided to check it out on the net. Days later after finding out all about the P22 and his price was the lowest, I went back with the cash (to avoid the 3% credit card charge) and took it home.
`09 F800ST

Member since Sept 10, 2001

"Talent, On Loan, From God" --Rush Limbaugh--
jb44
Double Lifer

Post by jb44 »

Thanks for the explanation, but you know you can't trust those collegiate looking guys... :)

Was the pistol you had chosen on your own a Ruger Mark III or a Browning Buckmark?

I was at the range yesterday and had an opportunity to handle the P22. I must say that for my small hand it was the best fitting, most comfortable grip I have ever held.

The Lakeland gun show is this weekend. I hope there aren't any bargains on a P22.

jb
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

The one I was interested in was a Walther SS targeting pistol. In hindsight, with the no-feed, jamming problems I'm having now, I should have gotten a S&W like This one.

Well, I went shooting again today. It was a 51.7 degF bike ride with a sunny, totally blue sky. Sunny & blue was a rarity when I lived in PA, but it's pretty much the usual almost year round here in GA. I see my friend OU812 in Chicago had temps in the 20's (F) today. :-"

At the range it was crowded and I had to wait for two fifteen minute sessions for an opening. When I started shooting, the problems were worse than ever. about 20% no feeds and 5% empty shell jams. WTF! It wasn't friction, as the hammer was not dingle. Not enough time is spent with the hammer beyond the amount it takes to latch the sear into the hammer detent. It is just barely latching. When the hammer does not latch, it appears the trigger safety prevents another round from loading. The amount of hammer detent notch for the sear end that I filed away to compensate for the re-contoured hammer face was obviously not enough. I knew it from the 2nd no feed. Will use the dial caliper to actually measure the material depth removed. Did not shoot the usual 120 shots this time - - - only 100. The 14" square target 75' away has 36 holes in it, so the alternate front sight fixed that problem. I took it completely apart while Ann was watching SuperBowl 45. Found nothing obviously wrong, except maybe no oil on the rear slide rails. #-o

As was mentioned above . . . it's just a (simple?) machine, so I should be able to make it not just better, but all the way to "bet-your-life-perfect". That will eventually be true, but there's a learning curve with all new parameters that are being burned into memory as I go. It's very different from a 4-stroke engine! Currently, an odd combination of fun and frustration. I also found out the Aguila brand 38 grain LR-HP rounds sounded muffled, blew out blacker smoke and jammed more often than the 36 grain LR-HP Federal rounds did. :-k

On the plus side, it was a sweet 55.5 mile Sunday ride in the middle of winter in weather just like the Fall. Tomorrow is supposed to be 51F with 70% chance of rain . . . a good time to focus hard on fixing/reassembling the gun. :smt045
`09 F800ST

OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

http://www.smithwessonhandguns.com/item ... Maste.aspx
Is the one you should have gotten. :-k
jb44
Double Lifer

Post by jb44 »

OU812 wrote:http://www.smithwessonhandguns.com/item ... Maste.aspx
Is the one you should have gotten. :-k
Hi Steve,

That's a fine revolver but not in Rob's targeted $300 price range. The nice thing about guns is it's not unreasonable to have more than one..or you can always trade or sell one pretty easily.

It's financially not the same as buying the wrong motorcycle.... :)

Rob, if you have continuing failures to fire or failures to eject, I would return it to where you purchased the gun. S&W is pretty good about warranty work.

It may even take sending it to S&W for one of their gunsmiths to check out.

jb
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

If you have not started to fix it yourself , take it back.
This is what I really meant. Sorry as there is no price.
http://www.taurususa.com/product-detail ... umbseries=
FFL required:
http://www.slickguns.com/product/taurus ... rounds-314
I would like one if IL ever has CC...... :evil:
jb44
Double Lifer

Post by jb44 »

OU812 wrote:...http://www.taurususa.com/product-detail ... umbseries=
FFL required:
Hard to CC a 6.5" barrel... Are you glad to see me or... :)

... trying hard not to hijack Rob's thread any more than necessary.

Rob, I sent you a PM.

jb
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

jb44 wrote:
OU812 wrote:...http://www.taurususa.com/product-detail ... umbseries=
FFL required:
Hard to CC a 6.5" barrel... Are you glad to see me or... :)

... trying hard not to hijack Rob's thread any more than necessary.

Rob, I sent you a PM.

jb
I would prefer a 2.5" barrel.
Always glad to see you JB!
Last edited by OU812 on Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CycleRob
Honorary Lifer

Post by CycleRob »

Actually what I had in mind is a long barrel target pistol. CC or OC not needed/wanted. Something simple & inexpensive like THIS ONE:

Preview pic:

Today (Monday) I finished the compensation correction to the trigger mechanism so the hammer again over-dingle like it's supposed to. The hammer dingle friction reduction mod is hard to do because very tiny amounts of material are removed in the profile change of the hammer where it contacts the slide after the shot is fired and the slide flies back-n-forth invisibly fast -and- the results do not show until the frame halves and all internal parts are reassembled - - - - a lengthy procedure. I used low-strength pink Loctite (special grade for small diameter screws) on the two M3 x .8mm thread frame screws. It seems to work really well in rapidly hand dingle/releasing the slide.

It's supposed to be 43F and sunny tomorrow, so right after Rush's radio show ends @ 3pm I'm off to the range to fire away 160 rounds. 3PM is usually the warmest part of the average winter day and the F800ST 55.5 mile round trip ride in itself is great therapy. Toasty warm with the Widder vest and heated grips on High, helped by the windscreen/bodywork's good wind protection from head-2-toe. My Zumo 450 plays MP3's, but I've never used it for that on the new bike . . . the Rotax motor plays a nicer tune.
`09 F800ST

jas
Double Lifer

Post by jas »

I know, I know, opinions are like…..

I would recommend that you do not shoot hollow-point ammunition in your pistol for a couple of reasons. The first one is that more often than not, loading issues / jamming in semi-auto pistol is a result of “edging” of the hollow-point ammo.
Second of all, a .22 does not pack a lot of energy, so a hollow point will not penetrate as far as it should. In a high power cartridge, the energy causes expansion which then creates a larger surface area that gives you knock down power and prevents pass though type shots. It also can help prevent a bullet from traveling through walls. Since a .22 does not have knock down force, you really need the energy reserved for penetration. The .22 is the most dangerous bullet for one reason, it’s light. It will enter, hit a hard part and bounce around, very effective at its job.

I have shot competitively and grown up in the west packing and shoot from a very young age, I love the .22 and generally all things that go boom. I have put hundreds of thousands of rounds through the .22 and thousands through the others.
I do not shoot anything other than ball type ammo through my .38 supers and .45’s (except wad cutters). My Mark series Rugers only see high quality, solid, .22 ammo .

As for your choice in home defense, good job. Regardless of people saying you should have a shotgun with 00 or slugs, or large grain bullets, you made a sensible decision. The only good defense weapon is the one you spend the time shooting and become comfortable and confident with. A .44 mag is great, but it kicks like a mule. This will always stay with you. So when the time comes to shoot it, chances are, you’ll pull the trigger instead of squeezing it, and your eyes will momentarily shut in anticipation of the buck. That's why you don’t start a 12 year old kid out on a 30.06. The first time they shoot it, they will get kicked and develop a habit that is hard to break. They will spend the rest of their lives wondering how they missed that elk!

For what it's worth, my personal carry defence partners are a Chris Reeves knife and a S&W model 640 (hammerless snub nose) loaded with .38 +p hollow points. It will not fail - and tho only five shots, like you I shoot and shoot and shoot. At home, a .38 Super wad cutter, low recoil, lots of energy but more important than that, it's like an extension of my body.
2004 Roc.
R4R&R
Basic User
Donating Member #: 293

Post by R4R&R »

Motorcycles and guns. What a great combination!
John
Member 293 (I think)
'17 Triumph Tiger 1200 XRX
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

R4R&R wrote:Motorcycles and guns. What a great combination!
So true. Heaven on Earth! =D>
Shaman
Honorary Lifer

Post by Shaman »

Started with BBGun, then on to paintball, shotguns, rifles, revolvers, pistols, and bow.
Atlatl might be the next challenge.

Enjoy your firearm, but for home defense, nothing is better than a shotgun.
Light birdshot loads can be stopped by a wall so you have less of a chance of harming loved ones...
but is devastating at short range through clothes and flesh.

You can easily point the muzzle down a hall or staircase and cover the whole thing with little exposure.
It only takes one pellet in an eye or neck to cause someone to flee.

Try that with a handgun and there is a lot of chance for misses.
OU812
Lifer

Post by OU812 »

Great load!
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sYigC49tnh8?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sYigC49tnh8?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>