Can a Twinmax be used on the R1150R?

Topics related to the ownership, maintenance, equipping, operation, and riding of the R1150R.

Moderator: Moderators

vcarlew
Basic User

Can a Twinmax be used on the R1150R?

Post by vcarlew »

I bought a Twinmax, but after reading the directions, I still wasn't sure where it attached on my 2004 R1150R. I turned to chapter 3 in my Clymer manual and looked up Throttle Body Syncronization. After reading the manual and looking at the pictures, it all made sense. HOWEVER, the instructions were for all models except R850c, all R1150 and R1200C. The end of the section states that, for these models, this service must be performed by a dealership using the MoDiTeC unit.

Can the Twinmax be used in place of the MoDiTeC unit?

Also, my bike has a rubber cap instead of a vacuum hose connected to the throttle body vacuum fitting. WTH?

Lastly, the instructions for the Twinmax state that if there are balance pipes between the carbs, they should be removed and blanked off. Does the R1150R have these balance pipes?

Thanks for any and all advice. It is greatly appreciated.

Ray
eduardobelmonte
Basic User

Re: Can a Twinmax be used on the R1150R?

Post by eduardobelmonte »

Yes, it can be used.
All you need to do is connect it's two hoses to the throttle body vacuum fittings.
That will let you measure if any of the two is making greater suction, then you must compensate them to be equal as the TwinMax will advice.
Verification/compensation is to be made at ralenti speed and at 3k rpms.
Procedures differ a bit, but in essence all they seek is to make suction be equal on both cylinders.

The R1150R has no balance pipes between the carbs, so you do not need to disconnect them, they just do not exist.

I own a R1150R 2004, I've done this all personally.
It may seem odd..., to start. But at the end it is really simple.

Best luck my friend.
Eduardo. :D
boxermania
Quadruple Lifer
Donating Member #: 312

Post by boxermania »

vcarlew

The rubber caps on your bike's TB's mean the following 1) It's not a bike for the US market or 2) The bike was exposed to a "canisterectomy" or the removal of the carbon canister.

The Twin Max is a fairly good tool if you understand how to use it

1) Insure the 9V battery is fresh
2) Insure both hoses are the same length
3) Zero out the movement with the hoses disconected (from the TB's) and the sensitivity at Max

Idle and TB sync

Note: Bike must be at normal oeprating temp and should not be allowed to idle for more that 10 minutes without fans blowing air on the cylinders

1) Perform all adjusments on the right side TB
2) Do the idle first, start at low sensitivity and keep turning the sensitivity towards Max. As the sensitivity increases the needle will swing from right to left of center.....the idea is to get the swings (deflections) to be the same from the center position by adjusting the BBS (Big Brass Screw) on the TB. Set idle rpm to 1100 to 1200 rpm at the tach.

Note: The TB sync is done at around 3,000 rpm and the idea is for both TB's to flow the same amount of air at a prescribed opening of the throttle. You'll need an open end 10 mm wrench and let me caution you on two issues 1) the threads of the adjuster, found at the end of the accelerator cable, are very fragile and easy to strip if overtightened and 2) It takes very little movement of the knurled adjuster to make big changes inflow and when tightening the lockdown nut the settings might change slightly

1) Start at low sensitivity
2) Proceed like you did for the idle adjustment above
3) Check again after everything is locked down

When done correctly, the improvement on the idle and running of the engine will be noticeable.

Good luck and let us know how you made out
Member #312
06 Suzuki Burgman 650 "state of flux"
79 CBX
vcarlew
Basic User

Post by vcarlew »

Thank you Eduardo and Boxermania. When building something, I always measure twice and cut once. When working on this bike, I read, I ask, I read again. I ask again. With your help, I am finally ready to jump in and give it a try. I will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

By the way, I am the third owner of the bike and do not know if it was purchased overseas or given a cannisterectomy.

Thanks again,

Ray
vcarlew
Basic User

Post by vcarlew »

Well, I did it. I was apprehensive after the Clymer manual said the TB syncronization on the R1150R needed to be done at the dealership, but I followed your instructions exactly and it turned out to be a pretty simple procedure.

I needed to adjust the idle screw and the throttle cable on both sides in order go get the needle on the Twinmax to center on the zero, but the whole adjustment took about 20 minutes. I just got back from a test ride and there was less engine vibration than I had before. A tank or two of gas will tell if the mileage improves.

Thanks again for your help and advice. :biggrin: