Leaving Wednesday and have a problem

Inspired by CycleRob, this section is devoted to all flavors of the F800.

Moderator: Moderators

storman113
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Leaving Wednesday and have a problem

Post by storman113 »

Taking off on my first big trip. From Central Oregon to central Cal and Yosemite, back over Tioga and home.

Loaded up the bike today for a test ride and took a short ride to see how everything would be. Have a F800ST with Trax cases and a top box. Behind me was a bag with rain gear and sleeping bag. On the cases I strapped the tent and pad.

I couldn't see anything behind me except the stuff strapped on!!!

Only thing I can think of is to strap everything in a big pile behind.

I have mirror extenders and small spot mirrors.

Is this normal? Any suggestions?
'09 F800ST, Midnight Blue
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Re: Leaving Wednesday and have a problem

Post by sweatmark »

Taking off on my first big trip... Loaded up the bike... I couldn't see anything behind me except the stuff strapped on!!!... Is this normal?
Sounds like First Trip Overpacking Syndrome. We've all done it: made a long packing list, planned for every contingency, packed and repacked to get everything stuffed in bags and cases, marvelled at the finished product - balanced and strapped and bungied on the bike. Then found the resulting load cumbersome, a pain to unpack & repack, and surprised by how many items never got used.

Of course, there's lots of enjoyment buying all the cool stuff on that original packing list! Swear I've kept REI in business during those adventure preparation shopping sprees.

Have a great trip!

And let us know when you're stopping by at the national rally. Mrs. Sweatmark and I will zip up from the Willamette Valley for a day visit.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
storman113
Basic User
Donating Member #: 0

Post by storman113 »

Took everything off and reset everything a few times. Came up with the pad, sleeping bag and tent on the pillon. There was enough room in the cases for the rain gear. The top case is empty. Using that for the helmet and riding gear when stopped.

Jumped the gun a bit. The Trax cases have built in tie downs and they just looked like they wanted to be used!

Living just a bit south of Redmond (Sunriver), I plan to be there all three days and planning to volunteer at the info booth. May not be best one there as I'm new to bikes and don't know the area well enough to offer ride tips, and for sure no tips on how to pack!!!
'09 F800ST, Midnight Blue
sweatmark
Septuple Lifer
Donating Member #: 208

Post by sweatmark »

Will look you up during the national. Mrs. Sweatmark and I will buzz up together as she continues getting acquainted with her F800S. I might be tempted to make a 2nd run up the hill as excuse to rip US20 coming and dodge tourists on McKenzie Pass going.

We'll be at Sunriver end of July for family weekend. Love it, hope to retire there.
Rockster#2, K1300S, S1000R (for sale)
Mollygrubber
Lifer
Donating Member #: 741

Post by Mollygrubber »

Good tip for beginner bike travellers: take twice as much money as you think you'll need, and half as much "stuff".

Check out Horizons Unlimited for the answer to virtually every travelling/packing/camping/gear question ever asked.

Peter

Oh. I see I'm two days late with a response. Well, have a great trip!
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

2010 F800GS
Member #741